"Beautiful Song. Great Gift From God This Song."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ybab gnuthca

Acrobat
Did anyone else feel that it was a bit over the top that Bono first called his own song beautiful, then claimed it as a gift from God?

He did that just before they began playing Moment of Surrender.

Maybe he is referring to Daniel Lanois.

if it was any other song than MOS, i would say yes. but the B-man was only speaking the truth. :wink:

I'm sure he met it in a way that God gave him (U2) the ability to write such a beautiful song.

I feel it could be taken one of two ways 1) Damn Bono's conceited, or 2) He was saying that the song is TOO good for them.

From all the interviews I read, I got the feeling that they're genuinely humbled that in a sense they had the honor of writing this song. Bono talks about "waiting for God to come in the room" and how He really came in for MOS.

So I think he's acknowledging that MOS had to come from somewhere outside of himself, and giving thanks for that.:up:

I think it's a humble act, not crediting your own effort, recognising God's influence in your work

I think MOS is one of the most beautiful things u2 has done in the past twenty years. I think that Bono might be referring to the way that MOS just kind of arrived for them.

I think its humble more than anything. I think his beliefs means he feels that he didn't write it, they were chosen for it, and he thanks god that they were chosen for it

Eno said in the clip on u2.com, that the song was a miracle. He even joked about how spiritual u2 is, and they couldn't see it at first.

I don't think its conceited, given Bono's faith, I think he actually meant it very humbly.

I'm not sure how to take it. :hmm:

I've seen several Christian artist live, including Mercyme and Audio Adrenaline. They never referred to their own music as "beautiful." They would just ask you to offer it up/pray/sing to God. Both bands were very humble and concert goers could walk right up to the stage or even, join them on the stage. They told the sold out crowd. "We are no better than you. We are all equal in the eyes of the Lord."

Sorry, for the almost double post.

Well..to be honest..having heard a decent amount of Newsboys and Mercy Me..I can't think of anything even remotely approaching u2 musically. Still, the comment reminds me of the comment made about One by Bono..that One just "seemed to arrive."

Serioulsy... you guys can come up with some pretty funny (and far from brillant) shit to bitch about.

Well..to be honest..having heard a decent amount of Newsboys and Mercy Me..I can't think of anything even remotely approaching u2 musically. Still, the comment reminds me of the comment made about One by Bono..that One just "seemed to arrive."

Actually, that was Edge.

Yeah I thought it was fine that he said it and I agree with everyone saying he was giving thanks for being able to write a beautiful song.
And anyways why shouldn't they be proud to acknowledge that they have done just that? It's not like they go around saying it all the time so just once hearing that was actually pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom