"Beautiful Song. Great Gift From God This Song."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone else feel that it was a bit over the top that Bono first called his own song beautiful, then claimed it as a gift from God?

He did that just before they began playing Moment of Surrender.

Maybe he is referring to Daniel Lanois.

Are you implying that Bono is being egotistical by saying his own song is beautiful? That's a bit petty don't you think? He said last night that Electrical Storm was a beautiful song before they played it, does that make him the biggest a-hole in the world?

Like others in this thread, I think he was saying that it came from God as a beautiful gift. :heart: so cool. I think all creative output is a gift from God especially when it comes from an inspired place. Inspiried literally means "in the spirit".

I thought it was alright. It sounds like Bono's started to believe Eno about the 'spiritual' nature of how the song came around.

What annoyed me more is how Bono sounded like a strangled cat singing it.

If THAT is God's way of a present heaven must be one boring place. :sad:
Now if Bono had said this about UF that would have made sense :wink:

Just seems like another shitty cringe-worthy Bono line to add to the pile, I think.

The list is long indeed and almost worth a book on it's own.

Actually not a bad idea, They could write about steeling from the thieves, Edge is from outerspace, kneel (x 347383 in lyrics)

:D

I was punching in the numbers at the ATM machine

:doh:

yeah! why didn't he just spell the damn thing out properly and sing "I was punching in the numbers at the automated teller machine", i mean, that would just about fit with the melody wouldn't it?? ;) lmfaooooo!!!!!

it never ceases to amaze me what people find to bitch about on this site...

Whats so special about a song from god? It like saying it a song from Harry Potter:huh:

Would have been negative if he said something like "this is a song that elvis, beatles and bob dylan are jealous on me, cause I wrote it"

Originally Posted by mama cass
yeah! why didn't he just spell the damn thing out properly and sing "I was punching in the numbers at the automated teller machine", i mean, that would just about fit with the melody wouldn't it?? ;) lmfaooooo!!!!!

cobl04 - that was a joke btw (just in case you took it seriously :D )

but i am indeed flattered to be a part of your siggie :kiss:

Just stopping by, because I just arrived back home and will be off to Milan shortly. I listend to the Barca 1 bootleg on my journey and I must say MOS was a very very touching moment. I felt Bono was truly humbled when he talked about the song and it IS indeed beautiful. Didn't sound over the top to me, just like a man who was surprised that such a song came to them. Remember it was recorded in one take. And beautiful it was indeed, great live performance, I was almost tearing up. Can't wait to hear it live myself. :up:

I listend to the Barca 1 bootleg on my journey and I must say MOS was a very very touching moment. I felt Bono was truly humbled when he talked about the song and it IS indeed beautiful. Didn't sound over the top to me, just like a man who was surprised that such a song came to them. Remember it was recorded in one take. And beautiful it was indeed, great live performance, I was almost tearing up. Can't wait to hear it live myself. :up:

I cannot agree more with you LastUnic:wave:rn

I have listened to the link at U2Exit about ten times since it first surfaced on late Tuesday early Wednesday & I too L:heart:VED

M:love:S

Also for me anyway one of the songs that really really was GREAT from Barca1was AOH:applaud:

Well..to be honest..having heard a decent amount of Newsboys and Mercy Me..I can't think of anything even remotely approaching u2 musically. Still, the comment reminds me of the comment made about One by Bono..that One just "seemed to arrive."

True.....Mercyme doesn't sound like U2. They have a different musical style. I think, both bands are good in their own right.

I have read several articles. Which state Bono is a spiritual person. And being a Christian, myself. It does not bother me at all that he would thank God, for his blessings. I wasn't being smug toward Bono. Though, I did have trouble with posting my first reply in this thread. When, I said. I wasn't sure how to take this. I was referring to the thread and wondering of any of U2's listeners were put off by this.

Mercyme does christian rock and at their concerts, everyone there is most likely, you guessed it, a Christian. But, this is not so for U2's audience. There are people of different belief systems and some, with none at all.

Just stopping by, because I just arrived back home and will be off to Milan shortly. I listend to the Barca 1 bootleg on my journey and I must say MOS was a very very touching moment. I felt Bono was truly humbled when he talked about the song and it IS indeed beautiful. Didn't sound over the top to me, just like a man who was surprised that such a song came to them. Remember it was recorded in one take. And beautiful it was indeed, great live performance, I was almost tearing up. Can't wait to hear it live myself. :up:

Thanks LU for the post! It must have been incredible. I hope you have a wonderful time in Milan! :wave:

It's the best song on the album, arguably their best song ever, and just a beautiful, haunting track. I could ramble on for paragraphs but you get the point. I think the early performances have been a tad rocky, but hopefully over time they'll tighten up.

It's the best song on the album, arguably their best song ever, and just a beautiful, haunting track. I could ramble on for paragraphs but you get the point. I think the early performances have been a tad rocky, but hopefully over time they'll tighten up.

:up:

I like the organ intro though. This will probably make me cry live.:sad:

Bollocks words by Bono; lost his mind or something, God has not proven himself capable of writing songs as good as U2's.

guitar hero? i mean sometimes we take bono too literally. i do love the fact the song gets them/him off like that. i would think it a bit much if bman said this song should make you feel a certain way. so when eno said what he said about mos and i heard it i really did not care for the song much the same way with stuck. but i unintentionally did not listen to nloth for about 6 weeks and when i found the cd again i found myself listening to mos more than all the other songs. so today i do think beautiful song and quite a gift. on a side note i really think they can beef up the song nloth and turn it into unworldly live. it really should be over the top live and it is not sooo far. fly and zoo really became different songs live and i think nloth has the potential to be that. rambling now so i will now hit post!

I agree 100%

Michael Stipe has used a very similar description to describe some REM songs, of course he didn't use the word 'god', but he's talked about how it came from some other place and he was just "connected" enough to this place in order to channel it... I think it was Charlie Rose, but I remember my girlfriend at the time saying how arrogant he was, and I remember thinking this is why artist often come off this way. Personally I don't see the problem, because I have felt this moment at times, be it through a painting or song... maybe all artists are arrogant:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom