Are Stadiums really that bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gunsnroses

The Fly
I dont remember people bitching so much during the previous tours in Europe about Stadiums. If stadiums are that bad then why did U2 sell out every show in europe the last two tours. I think only the ungrateful Americans are bitching about this. I for one am very happy about this. Bad seats or not i will go to every show in the north east and then to my home state oklahoma. At least i wont have to sell my soul to see them in new york multiple times.

I dont remember people bitching so much during the previous tours in Europe about Stadiums. If stadiums are that bad then why did U2 sell out every show in europe the last two tours. I think only the ungrateful Americans are bitching about this. I for one am very happy about this. Bad seats or not i will go to every show in the north east and then to my home state oklahoma. At least i wont have to sell my soul to see them in new york multiple times.

Because North America has been spoiled with the arena shows.

I've seen a few stadium shows in Australia. They're pretty damn awesome.

A few of the Oz stadiums a purpose built to be able to hold concerts though, I don't know what its like for the states.

I've only seen two concerts in a stadium before, but they were both great. I don't see why people complain so much.

depends. i have seen a couple that rank at the very bottom of my u2 experiences. the first weeks of popmart were pretty bad (worst u2 show i have ever seen). zootv, was a cool spectacle but being 100 yds away, not real cool. not a terrible show, but zootv indoors blew away the stadium shows.

saw pop mart on the floor in the front row, and that was as great a show as i have seen. i think if you are close, and on the floor they are just as good as any arena. if you are 100 yards away, and have to watch the screens the whole time, it certainly loses something.

Maybe.

But out of all the various concerts I've been to over the years, U2 has been the only one I saw in a Stadium (JT). Everything else where I live is always done in an arena or amphitheater.

saw pop mart on the floor in the front row, and that was as great a show as i have seen. i think if you are close, and on the floor they are just as good as any arena. if you are 100 yards away, and have to watch the screens the whole time, it certainly loses something.

Basically this.

You don't spend your hard earned to watch a video screen for 2 hours.

I'm pretty excited to see them in a stadium, but I've only seen one other group in a stadium (and that group will remain nameless)

It depends entirely on how good your seats are and how good the acoustics are.
I saw a ZooTv show at Foxboro stadium outside of Boston that rates as the worst concert going experience of my life. Most of the time I couldn't tell which song they were playing because I was in an acoustic "dead zone."
The band was so far away I couldn't tell Larry from the Edge.
As it turns out it was actually a pretty damn good show. I just wasn't priviledged enough to experience it. I didn't enjoy it until years later when I heard the bootleg "Bono breaks wind over Boston."
I saw the them the next night, (or it may have been the day before) from better seats and it was mezmerizing. Maybe the best rock and roll show I've ever attended.
But stadium shows are a real hit or miss event. Suffice it to say that the average fan has a much better time at an arena show than a stadium show.

So so true! We have been so spoiled - and to answer the OP's question, yes, stadiums shows do suck in comparison to arenas. I saw last tour in both, saw them in many arenas, including Vegas, which was amazingly small, (I believe one of the smallest venues they played), and it was by far the best show I saw. Also was fortunate enough to see them in football stadium in Hawaii, while it was a good show, and we had good seats - no comparison to seeing them in arenas. In fact, I had behind the stage seats in Vegas, and really really good up front seats in Hawaii, but its not the same as seeing them in a more intimate (if you can call an arena "intimate":lol:) setting.

As another comparison, I saw Zootv tour in Barcelona in an arena, then later that year saw them here in San Diego in stadium. No comparison. I can barely remember the San Diego show (no, it wasn't the pot!:sexywink:), but the Barcelona show was hands down the best U2 concert I have seen.

I am so so bummed we are only getting a stadium option this time, especially if the only So.Cal. show is going to be the Rose Bowl :down: But I am happy they are touring, don't get me wrong. I'm just a spoiled American!! :lol: I'm hoping San Diego gets a show too.

Ultimately, there are pros and cons to each and you’re very lucky if you get to experience both.

Stadium Cons: It really depends on where you are. I think stadium shows would suck if you’re in the stands, or too far back in the GA. The sound turns to shit, everything is so far away etc. I’ve been really close for my three U2 stadium shows, but further back in stadium gigs that I haven’t cared about, and it’s been rubbish. But if you’re up close…

Stadium Pros: The band lifts for them, definitely. I think that’s partly because they have to - everyone has to extend themselves to ‘reach’ the back of the stadium, particularly Bono – and partly because of the buzz of it. Also, the more of an event, the larger and more rabid the crowd, the better the gig, I think. That’s why the massive South American stadium shows are generally the best on any tour, and some third night in an arena on a Tuesday night in Ohio or some shit are generally the worst.

Arena Cons: Scaled back show, higher risk of the band on auto.

Arena Pros: Intimacy. Even the shit seats are relatively good and the sound is generally far better too. Probably a better overall experience in terms of the hassles of getting there, getting drinks, going to the bathroom and all of that. Stadium shows are a real mission. You’re planning everything half an hour in advance.

So yeah, I’ve never seen U2 in an arena, and I’d love to for something different, but if you get a good spot for one of their stadium gigs it will fucking blow you away, I can assure you of that. 80,000 people singing along to every word at the top of their lungs - and the way the band feeds of that - is pretty fucking cool.

FWIW, my only arena show experience was the Goo Goo Dolls back in October. Great band, great live, but the sound? Too bass-y. I blame it on the building itself, which is older than dirt.

Whereas my two stadium shows (I won't name the artist) were great, even from very far away.

Stadium shows seem to be much more communal and social than those arena shows with their fancy luxury boxes lol. It makes the audience focus on the band even more...less concessions/distractions. No restaurants or any of that other crap....the way it should be!

Stadium Shows are more popular in my opinion in Europe & faded out here in the States over time. You get more of an intimate feel for the band & with the band when you see them in small clubs or arena's. You also have to worry about the weather..is it going to rain, be to hot/cold, etc....

The stadiums here in North America are babies compared to the massive ones around the world. I saw The Police at Giants Stadium, wicked small. You can see well from any seat

SMB

The atmos in a stadium is unbeatable !!! Once you go to a stadium an arena looks a bore draw.

Back
Top Bottom