Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #556
The Male

Local Time: 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc
Nintendo sells their shit to play the shit they make, and that other publishers will make for them
Lance, as much as this former Nintendo fanboy appreciates your "haters gonna hate" message, the change is due because publishers AREN'T making shit for them anymore. 3rd party support is very limited, and this costs their consumers unique gaming experiences. It also weakens their ports (the Wii was especially awful about this, sacrificing content and dumbing down gameplay, especially in Madden), and it's all due to limitations in their consoles' hardware specs, as well as their format choices. Also, what makes Nintendo unique now outside of their first party games - their peripherals - won't be unique for very long, and now that they've revealed part of their hand, Sony and Microsoft will catch up more quickly than ever.

Also, a more minor complaint: the constant flux in format choices make backwards compatability an impossibility. I treasure that in a gaming console personally, although I realize many do not.

Now.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #557
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
It's like the appeal of the iPhone. I want something that does EVERYTHING. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
All true, but I don't know how much any of it really matters. Also the 360 uses standard DVDs. But as long as it plays the games, I don't see the big deal. Does anyone really need to use their Nintendo system for every possible medium?
30% of ALL Netflix streaming usage comes from PS3 users, using their ''hardcore HD gamer console'' as a set top box to watch movies.

The console is no longer a dedicated gaming device. Convergence, convergence, convergence.

At this point there is absolutely NO excuse for Nintendo to be sticking a proprietary disc drive in their consoles anymore. Reading the spec sheet for the Wii U I was thinking, ''Not this shit again, Nintendo.''

Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #558
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
30% of ALL Netflix streaming usage comes from PS3 users, using their ''hardcore HD gamer console'' as a set top box to watch movies.

The console is no longer a dedicated gaming device. Convergence, convergence, convergence.

At this point there is absolutely NO excuse for Nintendo to be sticking a proprietary disc drive in their consoles anymore. Reading the spec sheet for the Wii U I was thinking, ''Not this shit again, Nintendo.''
Excuse me for asking a personal question, but, do you work in this field, or a similar one?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #559
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Excuse me for asking a personal question, but, do you work in this field, or a similar one?
Web designer / developer, but I enjoy keeping up with the tech sector and console market like people watch spectator sports.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #560
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:48 PM
The WiiU has already been confirmed to use a 25GB proprietary disc. They don't want to pay the fees to use blu-ray, which shouldn't be surprising to anyone. I don't think I have ever seen Nintendo try to market their consoles as anything but a GAMING hub. I'm not really sure why people continually get upset and disappointed in this.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #561
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Web designer / developer, but I enjoy keeping up with the tech sector and console market like people watch spectator sports.
Yeah, your fluency/knowledge meant one or the other.

Thanks.....
Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #562
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:48 PM
Horde 2.0 > Everything on Wii-U
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #563
Blue Crack Supplier

mass effect 3 stuff on scattered e3 videos looks pretty nice...
Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #564
Blue Crack Addict

Firstly, I'm so non-invested in any of this, I'm not quite sure why I'm arguing so strongly on Nintendo's behalf, heh. But anyway, I never said PS3's or Xboxes weren't found in homes belonging to anyone outside the hardcore, although that same statistic doesn't necessarily say most of those PS3's using netflix aren't also being used for core-centric gaming. Anyway, I'm all for convergent media (to a point), but Nintendo has always felt like something of a special case to me, a company so defined by gaming as its central motivating principle, as a medium about fun, accessibility and family as much as hardcore obsessive gaming, but always gaming. And I'm sure, like with the Wii (though it took it a while to get there) Wii U will surely embrace home entertainment streaming services like Netflix or Hulu and so on. But I honestly don't see anything wrong with them pushing their product as a purely game-centric piece of merch. It's all about the software though, and we all know their first-party stuff is nearly unmatched - there's more creative and artful design in a single stage of Donkey Kong Country Returns than in the entire collective output of most studios. I also think it's a bit of a myth regarding third-party support on Nintendo's consoles. I mean, in terms of sheer quantity of major titles and recognizable franchise support it doesn't match Sony or Microsoft, but there are a good number of outstanding games, unique to Wii, from third party developers that nobody simply knows about because they never took off or weren't marketed well - off the top of my head just stuff like Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, Mad World, Boom Blox, No More Heroes, etc. I hardly think it's a tragedy if people can't get their Call of Duty or GTA on a Nintendo console. Like I said before, I just feel that they do their thing, and they do it exceedingly well and offer unique experiences that actually at least try to expand the way people think about and play games, and that's all they ever have to do, so who gives a shit about if they do it on a blu-ray disc or in HD (the fact they do HD now alone is exciting, though I'm not going to throw a fit if their graphical horsepower remains a generation or a half behind the rest... it's so irrelevant.)

Haters gonna hate.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #565
Blue Crack Supplier

ME3 = pwnage of my soul. Skyrim and Gears will help ease my "I cannot fucking wait" pains.

Oh and Batman.

And Deus Ex.

LA Noire is getting very repetitive for me. Still liking it, but not really loving it.

Saw a Red Dead Redemption van yesterday, cannot believe that game came out over a year ago. Now that was some good shit.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #566
Blue Crack Addict

Whatever, this is the most important game release of the year anyway:

YouTube - ‪PS3 「ワンダと巨像」「ICO」 PV‬‏
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #567
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Firstly, I'm so non-invested in any of this, I'm not quite sure why I'm arguing so strongly on Nintendo's behalf, heh. But anyway, I never said PS3's or Xboxes weren't found in homes belonging to anyone outside the hardcore, although that same statistic doesn't necessarily say most of those PS3's using netflix aren't also being used for core-centric gaming. Anyway, I'm all for convergent media (to a point), but Nintendo has always felt like something of a special case to me, a company so defined by gaming as its central motivating principle, as a medium about fun, accessibility and family as much as hardcore obsessive gaming, but always gaming. And I'm sure, like with the Wii (though it took it a while to get there) Wii U will surely embrace home entertainment streaming services like Netflix or Hulu and so on. But I honestly don't see anything wrong with them pushing their product as a purely game-centric piece of merch. It's all about the software though, and we all know their first-party stuff is nearly unmatched - there's more creative and artful design in a single stage of Donkey Kong Country Returns than in the entire collective output of most studios. I also think it's a bit of a myth regarding third-party support on Nintendo's consoles. I mean, in terms of sheer quantity of major titles and recognizable franchise support it doesn't match Sony or Microsoft, but there are a good number of outstanding games, unique to Wii, from third party developers that nobody simply knows about because they never took off or weren't marketed well - off the top of my head just stuff like Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, Mad World, Boom Blox, No More Heroes, etc. I hardly think it's a tragedy if people can't get their Call of Duty or GTA on a Nintendo console. Like I said before, I just feel that they do their thing, and they do it exceedingly well and offer unique experiences that actually at least try to expand the way people think about and play games, and that's all they ever have to do, so who gives a shit about if they do it on a blu-ray disc or in HD (the fact they do HD now alone is exciting, though I'm not going to throw a fit if their graphical horsepower remains a generation or a half behind the rest... it's so irrelevant.)

Haters gonna hate.
Mise en scène
Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Mise en scène
You aren't wrong.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #569
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:18 AM
The thing about the Wii-U is that, for all the faults in the presentation, it's an HD Nintendo console. I honestly couldn't care less what the hell else it does as long as it has some good games.

Quote:
It's all about the software though, and we all know their first-party stuff is nearly unmatched - there's more creative and artful design in a single stage of Donkey Kong Country Returns than in the entire collective output of most studios.
Fuck yes. What a game.

Quote:
LA Noire is getting very repetitive for me. Still liking it, but not really loving it.

Saw a Red Dead Redemption van yesterday, cannot believe that game came out over a year ago. Now that was some good shit.
Yeah, same here. Finally crawled through the homicide cases, and am a little less keen on setting into the second half. I've heard that it gets better during Vice, though. But, now that you mention RDR, I'm worried that LA Noire is going down the same path for me - highly anticipated it, love it at first, and then come to the slow realisation that it's kinda boring and repetitive and that I have no interest in finishing it. At least I don't have to ride a fucking horse to the next case.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #570
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:48 PM
So, yeah, this fall is going to be a nightmare for my wallet. Just listening the games that I can't imagine myself ever passing on, I'm leaving out a few I'm undecided on, and sure some others could pop up:

Sept 13 - Rage
Sept 20 - Gears of War 3
Oct 4 - Dark Souls
Oct 18 - Batman: Arkham City
Oct 25 - Battlefield 3
Nov 1 - Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception
Nov 8 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Nov 11 - Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
Nov 15 - Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Fall - Kinect Sports 2

That's not mentioning things coming in August or very early 2012.