New Apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a good 2 and a half year run with my iPod Classic, but I think the connector's broken, now I have to look for a new model. I'm looking at either the 32 GB Touch or the 16 GB Nano. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have both of those. I just got the new Nano, so I haven't loaded it with music yet; I just played with the video camera and tried the FM radio.

They are totally different machines/appliances. If you want a pure music player the Nano is the obvious choice. If you want more functionality and options, the Touch is cool, but my battery life is at maybe 2 hours at this point, and it's only a year and a half old. The new Nanos feel really tiny, which could be bad, but I think it will be nice for the gym. Right now I bring my Classic 120GB to the gym, and it gets a little bulky.

The multi-functionality of the Touch is enticing, and I'll probably need the storage of the 32 GB the more I think about it, which rules out the Nano. If it comes down to storage space above price, I'd get the 160 GB Classic, but that seems a little excessive.

I am in need of the 64 GB iTouch, but I am waiting just a few more months for the updated version that is coming.

Do you know how soon it would be coming out?

iPod Classic/nano/touch refreshes occur in September. Typically the following Tuesday (or one after that) after the back to school promotion ends.

I feel an iPod shuffle refresh may occur sooner; my guess would be at Apple's World Wide Developers Conference in June as a "One More Thing..." announcement.

I've got about a week left, judging by how much I use my iPod and how I can't charge the battery. Oh well.

Yeah, I think we are looking at September for the new models.

Recent Releases
9/2009
9/2008
2/2008
Product iPod touch
Recommendation: Neutral - Mid product cycle
Last Release September 09, 2009
Days Since Update 145 (Avg = 245)

I read a lot of reviews and I decided to go with the following model, 1005HA-PU1X-BK instead, because it has a 1.3 MP webcam (above had 0.3 MP) and 10.5 hour battery life (above had 8.5 hour).

Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-PU1X-BK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 10.5 Hour Battery Life: Computer & Accessories

ordered it and a 2 GB memory chip.

Will Be here by friday :)

sounds like a good value

evevything I read about mine in the reviews has been true.

some said the keyboard flexes a bit.
it does

my touch pad is just a bit skiddish, sometimes,

every notebook I have ever had, the touch pads all respond differently

the keys are not back lit.

the battery life is still the best I have ever seen.

this costs $699. I got more than my monies worth

I like the casing, alot more than the macbooks.

I have taken it out to a couple of cafes, the vegetarians got their macbooks going with their little apple lights glowing, all branded up :up:
and most of them looking to get plugged in.

I can sit there for 5-6 hours, no power, and drink coffee, go home and watch two hours on hulu tv in bed.

it's great to be me.

That's staggering. I can get about 3 hours on my MB Pro (the generation before the unibody models came out).

I absolutely love my iTouch, the only caveat being that I need a special adapter to be able to play it in my car, which has an iPod hook-up built-in. It's only $20, so I'd say it's a worthy investment.

I can usually get about 4-4.5 hours on my MacBook Pro (pre-unibody), though when I'm on battery I do turn the screen brightness down below halfway. It is a good idea to regularly let the battery get down to the single digits before plugging it in, as it helps the battery maintain it's charge better. If it gets used and rarely gets below 25% before being plugged in, eventually you're going to shorten the charge length of the battery.

I can usually get about 4-4.5 hours on my MacBook Pro (pre-unibody), though when I'm on battery I do turn the screen brightness down below halfway. It is a good idea to regularly let the battery get down to the single digits before plugging it in, as it helps the battery maintain it's charge better. If it gets used and rarely gets below 25% before being plugged in, eventually you're going to shorten the charge length of the battery.

I make a point to do the battery reset thing. Burn your battery down until the computer is forced into sleep, then plug it in and recharge to 100 percent. It works pretty well. I do it about once a month per battery.

I find WiFi to be the biggest battery drain. I try to remember to shut it off when I am just working with some documents or something.

iPadfront.jpg

:shifty:

The reality is that Apple is slowly ( or not so slowly ) becoming the evil monster that Microsoft once was, no one is really paying attention,
it is like the old story, put a frog in a pot of clod water and slowing bring it to a boil

The reality is that Apple is slowly ( or not so slowly ) becoming the evil monster that Microsoft once was, no one is really paying attention,
it is like the old story, put a frog in a pot of clod water and slowing bring it to a boil

Ever the ray of sunshine, deep.

After seeing an iMac at the Apple Store the other day, I could totally see buying that machine (21.5" screen, 1080p display, 3.06 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, sweet graphics card) for $1200 as a desktop option and supplementing it with an iPad for mobile use. Combined, they're about the price of a MacBook Pro and do the same tasks, essentially. You sacrifice the portability of a laptop for what seems to be an oversized iPhone, but it could serve as a sweet note-taking device, textbook and regular book holder, and internet browser, and you leave all of the heavy duty stuff for the iMac.

The price premium is still there because they're Mac products, which is maybe what Deep is alluding to. I don't know, since I rarely agree with the guy anyway, but it makes as much sense to get those two products in tandem as anything else, for me at least. I'm into audio/video editing, and the prospect of using the Final Cut suite on a more powerful computer is enticing. Not that I'm looking for an upgrade over my MB Pro right now, which I love, but down the line, that could be a solid combo.

Owning an iPhone, I do like it. I have a few dozen apps on it. Many do useful things.
Very good chance the iPad will have some success. Many will use it as LMP described. Apple controls all apps. They collect 30% of all monies paid for apps. They also have language in their agreements with all the app developers that states Apple can cancel an app agreement anytime for any reason.

Young people seem to heavily favor Apple products.
Apple is the biggest player in the music business now. More music is sold through iTunes than any other source.

In 5 to 10 years Apple will be the dominate provider for music and good chance the app store will have a huge share of the software market.

Do we want one company setting the price of music, books, textbooks, and controlling the software market with the app store?

Owning an iPhone, I do like it. I have a few dozen apps on it. Many do useful things.
Very good chance the iPad will have some success. Many will use it as LMP described. Apple controls all apps. They collect 30% of all monies paid for apps. They also have language in their agreements with all the app developers that states Apple can cancel an app agreement anytime of any reason.

Young people seem to heavily favor Apple products.
Apple is the biggest player in the music business now. More music is sold through iTunes than any other source.

In 5 to 10 years Apple will be the dominate provider for music and good chance the app store will have a huge share of the software market.

Do we want one company setting the price of music, books, textbooks, and controlling the software market with the app store?
can we please keep the thread on topic? it's not about how much of a monopoly you think apple has on things. if you want to talk about how much apple sucks, you may do so in...the thread you created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom