Help!! I'm a cell phone virgin!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Grrrrrl

New Yorker
Hangin' out by the state line turning holy water i
...well, kind of. I just have a really cheap piece of pre-paid crap that I bought for emergencies only. Now I'm starting up a business and have conceded that a cell phone is a must. But I'm navigating through all kinds of plans and now I'm cross-eyed from all the choices. I'm terrified of buying into a multi-year contract when I don't even know the quality of service I can expect from a carrier. Alltel looked decent to me because of the unlimiting calling circle concept, but I can't find a dealer in my area (Seattle Washington USA) to talk to face to face about it. I liked the idea of pre-paid because there's no hidden fees, but even that's getting too expensive anymore. I looked at upgrading my current carrier (Boost) but for the same price per month, I can get an additional line for my husband on other carriers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.).

I don't even know where to start. I have no freaking clue how many minutes I'll use each month. I like the unlimited text option. I don't know what else I need. I'd like to start here, because I'm ripe for the picking at a kiosk in the mall - I might just sign up at the first one to get it done and over with!

Any input would be welcome!!!!

personally, i love t-mobile. i've been with them for six years now and i've had no problems with them. before that, i had cingular and i hated them! the customer rep people i'd talk to on the 800# were nice, but the people here in the stores were rude to me.

and t-mobile does have a my faves plan, although it's only limited to five people. i personally just use the traditional calling plan, because only one of my friends doesn't have t-mobile, so i just use mobile-to-mobile. i didn't even plan it that way :giggle:

I use t-mobile also. Have used them since 2000 and have also never had a problem. I have a blackberry and their data plan is the least expensive I've seen. Whenever I've gone overseas the phone has worked from the get go, New Zealand, Spain, Brazil among others. I have 1000 anytime, unlimited nights/weekends for $39.99, which I think is a decent plan.

Okay, T-mobile looks good. It's getting less stressful - thanks you two for your input! I don't know why I like the faves idea, I just do and I'll go with it! Plus they're a whole nickel cheaper on overages. My only problem now is, do I get a pink RAZR for hubby, which is a flip and I think easier to use for him, or a black slider that I think will be harder for him. (We both have bar phones, if you can believe that!!!) Well they say that the RAZR is magenta, but it's pink to me. :giggle:

Oh and does anybody know if I can upgrade my contract? Let's say I start out with the 700 minutes 2 year contract, but after 8 months, I decide 1000 minutes is a better deal. Can I just pay more on the contract? I know going the other way probably wouldn't work, but I'm not sure about a service upgrade.

BTW Khanada, I checked out AT&T (which took over Cingular), just for the heck of it. I looked at one phone, things were fine, then I tried looking at another phone and just got a 'site maintenance in progress' screen. Tried it again, same thing. Oh well!

oh yeah, you can definitely change your minutes any time you'd like. however, i think when you change your service plans (as in monthly minutes), it extends your contract. it's been a long time since i've had to do that though, so i'm not sure if they still do that. i've had 600 minutes/month for years now. i had to get extra minutes back when i talked to someone frequently who didn't have t-mobile :whistle:

ha! it's funny, i actually use AT&T for everything else (landline phone, dsl, i can't remember if our directv is done through them or not though) but i hate their cell company. maybe it's better now that it's AT&T and not cingular, who knows. i've still heard horror stories from people i know about bad service, dropped calls, all the things i experienced when i had cingular.

I have to give a plug for Verizon. They have awesome coverage anywhere - the backwoods of New Hampshire and Maine included. Pretty much all the pricing plans are going to be same no matter who you go with. I've got the standard $39.99 plan - 450 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, free whenever to fellow verizon users. I can't vouch for other services, because I use my phone basically as a phone only with minimal texting, etc. I would go based on the best service in your area. Verizon lets you test things for 7 days or so to make sure you're happy with things before you a set in the contract.

Back
Top Bottom