Upcoming Films of Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm seeing PAC RIM in the ol' IMAX 3D tonight. Looking forward to it. The last movie I saw in IMAX 3D was Into Darkness and that was a really fun and memorable couple of hours at the movies.

Am I a 3D convert? After years of bitching about it? Stay tuned.

It was ok. There were parts I loved and parts I hated. Rinko Kikuchi is great. Stringer Bell is great. The rest of the cast? Not so much.

The second to last big battle sequence was really cool, and I got a kick out of the

James Bond homage ending.

I still really need to see Before Midnight, though. It's sad that I haven't seen it yet. Might try to find it online tonight.

That's right. :huh:

birth.png

Now switch it and have a man and an under age girl and see if the movie would get made and have great praise. Fucking awful movie. Even the music seemed out of tone with the movie and it created some unintentional comedy.

Mud 7.5: Matthew McConaughey does some really good acting in this one. The ending may be a bit unbelievable but it didn't detract me from liking it. It ambitiously weaves a Huckleberry Finn story with a tale of whether we should believe in love or not. The kids steal scenes from everyone else. I don't think it's a masterpiece like some think it is but it's worth seeing.

I haven't seen the movie, do they portray the relationship in a way that doesn't approve of it?

The boy is a reincarnated version of her dead husband and the boy acts as if he's still the husband and knows her intimately. So it is creepy. I got free tickets for it years ago and the audience was cringing and laughing. The female reactions during the bathtub scene were like "noooo", " oh god no", and "eewwwww". They had people with clipboards to take down impressions from the audience but they just opened the doors and let people out. One dork behind me said "well that wasn't Jurassic Park". Not that I would expect it to be that entertaining but it's not for me.

It got mixed reviews and my weird boss liked it. To each their own.

The only problem with this is that that young actor had the best day of his life at age 10.

Yeah I wonder how he's going to remember that. It would be nice to see his parents facial expressions during some of the scenes.

I haven't seen the movie, do they portray the relationship in a way that doesn't approve of it?

I mean, pretty much. You're familiar with the central conceit of the film though? It's not exactly just a woman and a kid in this story... though it is. But pretty much everyone involved for like 90% of the film thinks the whole thing is crazy for the most part, including Kidman for a good portion of it. It's hardly a film about pedophilia let alone in support of it. And maybe if the gender roles were reversed it would feel a bit different, but focusing on that aspect of it it to willfully reject and whole soul and emotional query of the film. A really gorgeous, evocative, strange and philosophical work more than anything. And I'm not even a huge fan of the film or Glazer. But it's silly to reduce it in that way. But I don't know, I hardly get outright offended by art, so I just don't react the same way. As such it's hard for me to understand why that's the take-away for anybody.

I mean, pretty much. You're familiar with the central conceit of the film though? It's not exactly just a woman and a kid in this story... though it is. But pretty much everyone involved for like 90% of the film thinks the whole thing is crazy for the most part, including Kidman for a good portion of it. It's hardly a film about pedophilia let alone in support of it. And maybe if the gender roles were reversed it would feel a bit different, but focusing on that aspect of it it to willfully reject and whole soul and emotional query of the film. A really gorgeous, evocative, strange and philosophical work more than anything. And I'm not even a huge fan of the film or Glazer. But it's silly to reduce it in that way. But I don't know, I hardly get outright offended by art, so I just don't react the same way. As such it's hard for me to understand why that's the take-away for anybody.

Most audiences don't analyze movies like you do. They just see weird scenarios that make them think "are they going to sleep together?" and it becomes a comedy. The majority of the audience is lost for the entire movie.

Yeah, I understand what the film's about, I had actually heard about it and just completely forgot it.

I guess the reason I asked was because it seemed like PurpleOscar's complaint was being disregarded because of exactly his point, that there's supposedly nothing wrong with an older woman involved with a younger man.

Now, though, I see there's more to it than that, so, I think I'll just refrain from any more comment til I see the movie, if I ever do.

Most audiences don't analyze movies like you do. They just see weird scenarios that make them think "are they going to sleep together?" and it becomes a comedy. The majority of the audience is lost for the entire movie.

When I saw the movie, I got about what I expected.

The way you describe 'most people' it makes them sound stupid.
Your 'free tickets' and test audience probably confirmed this was more of an 'art house' film. That is how I found it.

Back
Top Bottom