Sex & The City Appreciation Thread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #271
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 AM
thanks for the laugh! Speaking of which had such a bad day yesterday that I cheered myself up by seeing this movie for a 3rd time last night!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #272
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
Local Time: 10:48 AM

Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #273
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post

It's true. But we love it anyway.

damn, well, yes, it is true. and that's what bothered me about the movie -- she said it so well.

it just wasn't as sharp and fun as it should have been, and this is why i think that Big and Carrie shouldn't have wound up together, if the movie had stayed true to the spirit of the show during it's best seasons (end of Season 2 through end of Season 5).

oh well.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #274
Refugee

Just saw it last night and I must say it was WAY TOO LONG!!!
Oh my God, this film was painfully long...143 minutes to be exact.
I can't believe the producers thought that they were making an epic film.
You don't make a film like this and let it last 143 minutes...you just don't.
It's NOT the Godfather or Lord Of The Rings...it's Sex and the City for crying in the soup!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
My instinct is to call BS whenever men are jerks and women see it as just being scared and vulnerable. Big had plenty of time to be scared and vulnerable and to have cold feet while Carrie was planning the highly publicized wedding. Instead, he chose to publicly break her heart and humiliate her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
My thought is: if you can't openly talk to the person you're going to be marrying about your own personal fears, doubts and anxieties, then why the hell are you marrying that person in the first place?

I understand he called her several times on the day, but he was clearly feeling conflicted long before the day. I love Big to death, but he really did need to man-up before the Big Day . . . and not just with one throwaway line about this being his "3rd marriage, how do you think that makes me feel".

If he really cared about her in any way he wouldn't have sat in the car and let her walk in there at the very least.

I don't know why he was letting her plan it all and why she didn't tell him she thinking of bumping up the guest list from 75 to 250+ people. They're about to share a life together and they can't discuss their own wedding with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
as for the movie, meh, it was fine. i enjoyed the Mexico part, because i got sick in Mexico a week or so ago, though i thought the constant label whoring not only cheapened the movie, but it cheapened the characters. sure, they'd label drop in the show, but it seemed as if each scene had some type of virtual fellatio performed on said brand name. gross, imho.
Yes! We were actually surprised the clothes labels and Starbucks were advertised more than the Apple laptop. There was some water they always seemed to have. I'm guessing it's popular in the US. Even in Mexico they brought out a bottle on the tray full of booze for Charlotte.

Thanks for posting that review, joyfulgirl
Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Finally going to see it tonight! Cheap-night tuesdays!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #277
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
Just saw it last night and I must say it was WAY TOO LONG!!!
Oh my God, this film was painfully long...143 minutes to be exact.
I can't believe the producers thought that they were making an epic film.
You don't make a film like this and let it last 143 minutes...you just don't.
It's NOT the Godfather or Lord Of The Rings...it's Sex and the City for crying in the soup!!!
Again I say...WAY TOO F#*KIN LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #278
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:48 AM
We heard you the first time. Are you upset because no one specifically responded? Because you shouldn't be.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #279
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:48 AM

It didn't seem too long to me. It flew by so fast, it was over before I knew it!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Same here. I have plenty of criticisms about the film (if I take it seriously) but I still enjoyed it and was engaged the whole time. When I got in my car and saw the time later I couldn't believe it. I was certain it was because they showed twice as many previews or something.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah it definitely didn't seem that long when I first saw it
Old 06-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Just came back from the movie. I had no high expectations going in so I enjoyed it ok, but overall it felt like a longer, diluted, paler version of the TV series. Not anywhere as sharp or funny or moving, and a bit aimless; even Samantha's one-liners didn't quite have the same zing. Poor Charlotte had absolutely nothing to do in the movie and Harry even less so, which was disappointing because Evan Handler was one of my favourite additions to the series. Also, I thought that the Steve/Miranda storyline rang a bit false; it's not that I found Miranda's reaction implausible, I just felt that the problems in their relationship prior to Steve's admission weren't explored enough - so it felt like the screenwriters went, quick we must create some drama and conflict. Still, it was good to see the girls (and the clothes!); and the scene where Carrie smacks Big with the bouquet was as good as any dramatic scene in the TV series at their best.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #283
Blue Crack Distributor

Thinking back on the movie now, I'm glad I saw it, but if they had never made it at all I would have been perfectly content.

It was a bit long, yet some of the stories were not explored enough,. It was also a bit melodramatic at times, but it was good to revisit the girls and guys again.

Has anyone taken the Sex & the City guy test yet? It's on the movie website and it tells you what guy you'd be most likely to end up with. I got Steve.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
Just came back from the movie. I had no high expectations going in so I enjoyed it ok, but overall it felt like a longer, diluted, paler version of the TV series. Not anywhere as sharp or funny or moving, and a bit aimless; even Samantha's one-liners didn't quite have the same zing. Poor Charlotte had absolutely nothing to do in the movie and Harry even less so, which was disappointing because Evan Handler was one of my favourite additions to the series. Also, I thought that the Steve/Miranda storyline rang a bit false; it's not that I found Miranda's reaction implausible, I just felt that the problems in their relationship prior to Steve's admission weren't explored enough - so it felt like the screenwriters went, quick we must create some drama and conflict. Still, it was good to see the girls (and the clothes!); and the scene where Carrie smacks Big with the bouquet was as good as any dramatic scene in the TV series at their best.
I agree with this entire analysis. Charlotte had nothing to do but be happy everyday except when she was being mad at Big.

Did I mention how implausible Miranda's wardrobe was? Miranda from the TV show would never wear any of those clothes.

Samantha's breakup was also completely unbelievable. They smiled and hugged and said okay. Even if you're not madly in love with the person, they were together long enough to experience some pain. He acted like she was saying she was going to go shopping and would see him in a couple of hours.

When is the sequel?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMullen's POPAngel View Post

Has anyone taken the Sex & the City guy test yet? It's on the movie website and it tells you what guy you'd be most likely to end up with. I got Steve.
I got Harry which was surprising but fun, and it means I've finally outgrown my attraction to bad boys.

Tags
sarah jessica parker, sex and the city