Sex & The City Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol:

It's true. But we love it anyway.

damn, well, yes, it is true. and that's what bothered me about the movie -- she said it so well.

it just wasn't as sharp and fun as it should have been, and this is why i think that Big and Carrie shouldn't have wound up together, if the movie had stayed true to the spirit of the show during it's best seasons (end of Season 2 through end of Season 5).

oh well.

Just saw it last night and I must say it was WAY TOO LONG!!!
Oh my God, this film was painfully long...143 minutes to be exact.
I can't believe the producers thought that they were making an epic film.
You don't make a film like this and let it last 143 minutes...you just don't.
It's NOT the Godfather or Lord Of The Rings...it's Sex and the City for crying in the soup!!!

My instinct is to call BS whenever men are jerks and women see it as just being scared and vulnerable. Big had plenty of time to be scared and vulnerable and to have cold feet while Carrie was planning the highly publicized wedding. Instead, he chose to publicly break her heart and humiliate her.

My thought is: if you can't openly talk to the person you're going to be marrying about your own personal fears, doubts and anxieties, then why the hell are you marrying that person in the first place?

I understand he called her several times on the day, but he was clearly feeling conflicted long before the day. I love Big to death, but he really did need to man-up before the Big Day . . . and not just with one throwaway line about this being his "3rd marriage, how do you think that makes me feel".

:up:

If he really cared about her in any way he wouldn't have sat in the car and let her walk in there at the very least.

I don't know why he was letting her plan it all and why she didn't tell him she thinking of bumping up the guest list from 75 to 250+ people. They're about to share a life together and they can't discuss their own wedding with each other. :confused:

as for the movie, meh, it was fine. i enjoyed the Mexico part, because i got sick in Mexico a week or so ago, though i thought the constant label whoring not only cheapened the movie, but it cheapened the characters. sure, they'd label drop in the show, but it seemed as if each scene had some type of virtual fellatio performed on said brand name. gross, imho.

Yes! We were actually surprised the clothes labels and Starbucks were advertised more than the Apple laptop. There was some water they always seemed to have. I'm guessing it's popular in the US. Even in Mexico they brought out a bottle on the tray full of booze for Charlotte.

Thanks for posting that review, joyfulgirl :lol:

Just saw it last night and I must say it was WAY TOO LONG!!!
Oh my God, this film was painfully long...143 minutes to be exact.
I can't believe the producers thought that they were making an epic film.
You don't make a film like this and let it last 143 minutes...you just don't.
It's NOT the Godfather or Lord Of The Rings...it's Sex and the City for crying in the soup!!!

Again I say...WAY TOO F#*KIN LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We heard you the first time. Are you upset because no one specifically responded? Because you shouldn't be. :)

Same here. I have plenty of criticisms about the film (if I take it seriously) but I still enjoyed it and was engaged the whole time. When I got in my car and saw the time later I couldn't believe it. I was certain it was because they showed twice as many previews or something.

Just came back from the movie. I had no high expectations going in so I enjoyed it ok, but overall it felt like a longer, diluted, paler version of the TV series. Not anywhere as sharp or funny or moving, and a bit aimless; even Samantha's one-liners didn't quite have the same zing. Poor Charlotte had absolutely nothing to do in the movie and Harry even less so, which was disappointing because Evan Handler was one of my favourite additions to the series. Also, I thought that the Steve/Miranda storyline rang a bit false; it's not that I found Miranda's reaction implausible, I just felt that the problems in their relationship prior to Steve's admission weren't explored enough - so it felt like the screenwriters went, quick we must create some drama and conflict. Still, it was good to see the girls (and the clothes!); and the scene where Carrie smacks Big with the bouquet was as good as any dramatic scene in the TV series at their best.

Thinking back on the movie now, I'm glad I saw it, but if they had never made it at all I would have been perfectly content.

It was a bit long, yet some of the stories were not explored enough,. It was also a bit melodramatic at times, but it was good to revisit the girls and guys again.

Has anyone taken the Sex & the City guy test yet? It's on the movie website and it tells you what guy you'd be most likely to end up with. I got Steve. :cute:

Just came back from the movie. I had no high expectations going in so I enjoyed it ok, but overall it felt like a longer, diluted, paler version of the TV series. Not anywhere as sharp or funny or moving, and a bit aimless; even Samantha's one-liners didn't quite have the same zing. Poor Charlotte had absolutely nothing to do in the movie and Harry even less so, which was disappointing because Evan Handler was one of my favourite additions to the series. Also, I thought that the Steve/Miranda storyline rang a bit false; it's not that I found Miranda's reaction implausible, I just felt that the problems in their relationship prior to Steve's admission weren't explored enough - so it felt like the screenwriters went, quick we must create some drama and conflict. Still, it was good to see the girls (and the clothes!); and the scene where Carrie smacks Big with the bouquet was as good as any dramatic scene in the TV series at their best.

I agree with this entire analysis. Charlotte had nothing to do but be happy everyday except when she was being mad at Big.

Did I mention how implausible Miranda's wardrobe was? Miranda from the TV show would never wear any of those clothes.

Samantha's breakup was also completely unbelievable. They smiled and hugged and said okay. Even if you're not madly in love with the person, they were together long enough to experience some pain. He acted like she was saying she was going to go shopping and would see him in a couple of hours.

When is the sequel? :hyper: :lmao:

Has anyone taken the Sex & the City guy test yet? It's on the movie website and it tells you what guy you'd be most likely to end up with. I got Steve. :cute:

I got Harry which was surprising but fun, and it means I've finally outgrown my attraction to bad boys. :)

Harry :cute:

Anyone remember how horrified Charlotte was when she told the girls she was sleeping with him? :lol:

"He's fat and bald and disgusting but it's the best sex of my life!"

Who could forget! :cute:

But there was nothing in the survey that indicated I was attracted to fat, bald and sloppy. :uhoh:

Has anyone taken the Sex & the City guy test yet? It's on the movie website and it tells you what guy you'd be most likely to end up with.

I got Smith. Tried it again with some different answers and I got . . . Smith! :|

Not sure I really see myself with a Smith-kind-of-guy. For one thing, he's NOT gay! :huh:

I still can't figure out how I got Harry. Something about being edgy, funny and loyal I guess. Aidan and Smith are cute but boring and Steve's a doll but not for me. So I guess Harry's about right.

I got Harry! :cute: I'm happy with that; not a looker but intelligent, says what he means, great personality and a sense of humour.

I always thought that Smith was the dullest boyfriend on the show BTW. Great eye candy, but I just never got any sense of personality from him; he felt less a character and more like a carefully constructed boyfriend-for-Samantha fantasy. Or maybe the lack of personality stemmed from the actor who played him.

Back
Top Bottom