Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread. - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #736
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Top 10 action-adventure pictures of all-time:

#1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
#2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
#3. Titanic
#4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
#5. Revenge of the Sith/Empire Strikes Back
#6. ALIENS
#7. Die Hard
#8. Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
#9. Lethal Weapon
#10. The opening scene of Scream where Drew Barrymore bites the dust.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #737
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and i loved putting Indy in that weird suburbia mock-up -- a great visual contrast, let's us know the word has changed since the 1930s.

...... and i loved the alien connection -- makes sense now that God is dead and science lives.

Interesting thoughts. I have a feeling that repeated viewings may bring out additional depth. It's a shame that the meat and potatoes part of the film isn't quite up to par enough to carry a lot of people to want to see it more. There's a blog/article on cnn.com right now in which the author wonders what marvels Lawrence Kasdan could've done with this story.

I think that a hint of letdown was probably intended and inherent in the idea of "Indiana Jones and the End of the '50s." He's such an iconic figure, a stereotype of a hero from the now-distant past who doesn't quite fit into the modern day. As a reviewer noted, the '60s would've eaten Indiana Jones alive.

There are hints of this notion throughout the film---the ones you mentioned, the ones I mentioned earlier about Indy becoming like his dad---and I'm sure more may become more apparent on repeated viewings. But again, I think the clincher would've been to successfully show Indy as a dying breed while retaining the majority of his flair all the same. They accomplished this at times--but perhaps not quite as well as we'd all hoped.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #738
Refugee

Local Time: 12:10 PM
I always prefered it when Arnie killed people in his films rather than just shooting them in the kneecaps. And I'd throw in The Matrix too.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #739
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Saw this over the weekend. It was good, not great. I thought the action sequences were pretty good. The jokes were flat and not funny at all. I think I laughed a couple of times at the banter between Indy and Mutt in the second half of the film, but other than that, some parts made me cringe.

It was entertaining, though, which was what I wanted. But it's definitely not as good as any of the first three.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #740
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
As I said, though, it's not that I didn't enjoy the movie. One thing I particularly liked was how Indy showed signs of becoming so much like his father. The look of disdain as Marcus Brody's head fell off the statue; the reading advice to the student during the library motorcycle chase; the quicksand lecture; and the abrupt change in attitude toward Mutt once he found out he was his son---all very Henry Jones, Sr. and very funny to see.
"This is intolerable!" - Indy, when running away from Soviets into the quicksand pit.

That one line made the movie for me.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #741
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm still wondering about the toned-down violence. it felt almost disney-fied to me. anyone else notice this?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #742
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Whats the difference in profits between that level of violence and one level up?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #743
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Top 10 action-adventure pictures of all-time:
#3. Titanic
#8. Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #744
Blue Crack Addict

Over $150 million in five days.

Certainly not that bad.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #745
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:10 AM
We took the kids and watched this yesterday. Not having read all 25 pages of this thread, I don't know who I'm goiong to dis/agree with, but I was sorely disappointed in the film.

Very bad CGI, and very poorly edited in general. I really expected more from spielberg/lucas, and can't understand why they didn't put their all in to polishing the movie up for us. I found it choppy and just low-budget feeling. Maybe they were going for that feeling so it wouldn't stand out so much from the first 3 films, which obviously were made before they had the current technology? I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but of course the movie DOES stand out from the other 3 in terms of story line if nothing else. Indy+aliens??

At the end when Cate keeps saying "I want to know", I was definitely reminded of xfiles and Mulder's "I want to believe" poster, lol.

My 14 and 11 year old sons both enjoyed the movie, 16 year old thought it was OK, 6 year old said she was scared at the end. And I don't blame her. That wedding scene? scary indeed!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #746
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
I always prefered it when Arnie killed people in his films rather than just shooting them in the kneecaps. And I'd throw in The Matrix too.
Agreed on the Matrix. I think the 2nd Matrix film, while a worse movie overall, had some truly great action sequences.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #747
Refugee

Local Time: 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Agreed on the Matrix. I think the 2nd Matrix film, while a worse movie overall, had some truly great action sequences.
The action sequences are what really disappointed me the most in Reloaded. To me there was just no sense of tension or drama in them whatsoever:

The Burley Brawl - Neo fighting loads of CG Smiths and just flying off at the end without a proper finish
Neo vs Oracle's guardian - fell flat for me as Neo didn't even try and hit him from what I remember at the cinema, he just parried the whole time (the "I know kung-fu" scene is similar in the first but had the advantage of being something new)
The Freeway Chase - this was better, but let down by too many show-off camera moves (I remember a shot with Morpheus and the twins on top of a truck irking me) and ruined by Neo flying in and saving them all at the end
Trinity's opening scene - much better, but too short

Compare those to the bathroom scrap, subway fight and ending chase from the first film and they all pale in comparison. By making Neo a superhero (stopping bullets with a "talk to the hand" gesture?!) all dramatic tension is lost and even though you know he would win anyway because it's a movie, there was still a feeling of him barely succeeding against the odds in the original. Plus, the government building scenes (lobby right through to helicopter) still take my breath away like they did in the cinema.

Maybe I should revisit Reloaded and Revolutions because sometimes a second viewing can do wonders, but I've never felt inclined to do so yet. And sorry to rant like that, it's just even though they're technically fantastic they're just emotionally dead to me.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #748
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Goddam, I forgot about the Matrix.

Monkeyskin, are you saying that you've only seen Reloaded once? And it was back in the theater? And you can still recount details from the action sequences? That is very impressive.

I remember those sequences in detail because I saw Reloaded 4 times in the theater, bought it on DVD the day it came it, and have probably revisited it around a dozen times since I've owned it.

This might turn into a rant, too, but whatever. When I first saw Reloaded in the theater on the Friday it came out...I was a sophomore in high school and it blew my mind. I thought it was the best action movie I'd ever seen. I thought it was perfect. The car chase is breathtaking...the closing act involving the Architect is awesome...Smith rocks "Smith will suffice"...I love the Morpheus speech to the Zion orgy "100 YEAAAARS!!!"...the first encounter with the Merovingian is hilarious and my friends and I still quote it to this day...

And at the end as Neo reached in to Trinitys heart to save her.....he says...

"I love you too damn much"

I think for about two months after I saw it I walked around my high school saying that to every girl I passed in the hallway.

And now, after years of thinking about it I realize that the original is far superior and just straight up a better movie. Anyway, yeah, the Matrix rules.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #749
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I was telling YLB that one of the things that prevents me from ever permanently leaving Interference, for now at least, is waiting for the lead-up to and then your review of Avatar. I feel that either way, whether it is awesome, or horrible, you're going to die after seeing it.

Here's a sneak peek into the future: HORRIBLE.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #750
Blue Crack Supplier

Also, I don't know if you can count the sci-fi films as "action/adventure". If that's the case, why not include Westerns and War films as well?

Tags
indiana jones