Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread. - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #466
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:48 PM
i had little to do last night but watch them on USA, like other people, and i'm struck by a few things -- the original, "Raiders," is astonishing. virtually every shot is iconic and has been (poorly) imitated by hundreds of other adventure movies since 1981. it's a nearly flawless film. "Doom" is really quite a let down. great action set pieces, but very, very hokey and silly and then gruesome, though i can see the divorce metaphor Lucas has talked about. but then Wilie tells us what kind of movie this is going to be at the very beginning -- "Anything Goes."

didn't quite get to "Crusade."

but the original ... wow, what a film. action/adventure as art.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #467
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:48 PM
TOD is one of the strangest sequels ever, its both significantly darker and more campy than Raiders, its still fun but its not the same as the other two.

I do not get why USA showed them in reverse order of their release, I could see showing them chronologically but even that is questionable. Coincidentally they were also on some channel dubbed in Spanish last night. I own the DVDs so I declined to watch either poor exhibition of them.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #468
ONE
love, blood, life

Anyone catch Shia (and MMJ ) on SNL last night? The opening monologue with Connery, the melted Nazi, and Amy Poehler as Short Round was pretty awesome for such a sad time for SNL, also loved when Labeouf 'spilled the ending' haha. "That doesn't leave this room!"
Old 05-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #469
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:48 PM
Pretty funny stuff.

I've enjoyed the last 2 seasons of SNL more than any of the Post-Ferrell years, that's for sure.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #470
ONE
love, blood, life

To be honest I really haven't watched more than a few since the cast got downsized following the start of 30 Rock, and Armisen, Forte, etc were never that great and I didn't like Wiig at all as a featured player she certainly wouldn't have moved up in earlier years. Poehler and Keenan are really the only ones I enjoy, with occasionally brilliant moments from Hader and Samberg.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #471
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I generally like most of the cast, with Wiig, Samberg, Hader, and Forte as my favorites, but they lack a Ferrell or even Murphy-level stand-out player to sell sketches because they're that guy, you know?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #472
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i had little to do last night but watch them on USA, like other people, and i'm struck by a few things -- the original, "Raiders," is astonishing. virtually every shot is iconic and has been (poorly) imitated by hundreds of other adventure movies since 1981. it's a nearly flawless film. "Doom" is really quite a let down. great action set pieces, but very, very hokey and silly and then gruesome, though i can see the divorce metaphor Lucas has talked about. but then Wilie tells us what kind of movie this is going to be at the very beginning -- "Anything Goes."

didn't quite get to "Crusade."

but the original ... wow, what a film. action/adventure as art.
yeah...i spent my entire weekend watching them on USA lol
Old 05-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #473
ONE
love, blood, life

Just watched Crusade again this afternoon having watched the other two recently, while it lacks the intrigue surrounding Raiders, its still damn close to being as good. Showed that they'd established some good supporting characters that TOD ignored, and the film does a pretty good job of balancing a serious and light-hearted tone at the same time. Plus, its definitely the most action packed from start to finish, it never drags and there's few moments in between some new ridiculously fun piece of adventure.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #474
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by powerhour24
Just watched Crusade again this afternoon having watched the other two recently, while it lacks the intrigue surrounding Raiders, its still damn close to being as good. Showed that they'd established some good supporting characters that TOD ignored, and the film does a pretty good job of balancing a serious and light-hearted tone at the same time. Plus, its definitely the most action packed from start to finish, it never drags and there's few moments in between some new ridiculously fun piece of adventure.
I caught Crusade yesterday, too. Only got to watch from the beginning to when Marcus meets Sallah in Iskenderun, but got to hear two of my favorite lines in the whole series.

"Water?"
"No thank you, fish make love in it."

"How do you know she's a Nazi?"
"She talks in her sleep."
Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #475
ONE
love, blood, life

Haha, yeah LC's screenplay doesn't get that much credit, but there's some great dialog and certainly set up the banter-filled chemistry between Ford and Connery quite well.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #476
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by powerhour24
Haha, yeah LC's screenplay doesn't get that much credit, but there's some great dialog and certainly set up the banter-filled chemistry between Ford and Connery quite well.
The whole Indy-Papa-Elsa thing was really underdeveloped and the villain was kind of lame, but apart from that, it's extremely good.

At least the Nazis were back. Hate these guys.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #477
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

The whole Indy-Papa-Elsa thing was really underdeveloped and the villain was kind of lame, but apart from that, it's extremely good.

At least the Nazis were back. Hate these guys.
Haha, Ford's delivery on that line is amazing. And I think its better they left that triangle as more imaginary to the audience through dialog than anything else...it could have gotten distracting and sickening
Old 05-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #478
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Caught some of Raiders last night as well. Somewhere in the middle til the end of the movie. Ending seemed weak. I haven't seen the movie probably since it came out

Then I tuned into another Ford movie in the middle - Witness
Old 05-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Air Force One was also on TV today, and Working Girl was on yesterday, and so was Patriot Games!

So much Harrison Ford...

I'm really hoping a local theater will play the original 3 so I can see them on the big screen before IV comes out
Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #480
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, I had been flipping through the guide the other day looking for movies to DVR, and I noticed the barrage of Harrison Ford movies all at once, interesting.

Tags
indiana jones