Doctor Who and Torchwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree to an extent. I think dwelling on the Rose story waters down what came before, which was done very well. And as you said, to go over the same emotional territory will cause things to stagnate. I'm assuming we're done with it though after the last finale. But to me the actual story writing is as good as it's ever been, with fresh ideas (aside from when they keep bringing back the classic villans).

Now they should just focus on telling good stories, and the only thread really left hanging now is his relationship with Professor River Song from the two-parter this year, which Moffat will be able to deal with himself as show-runner.

Father's Day was one of my favourite episodes, brilliant writing and acting.

It's sad to see Tennant leave but that's how the show works, as long as the new doctor is good

The next doctor will be the 11th right? So the next regen after that will be the final possible one? I'm sure they will find a workaround though, maybe introducing an alternate universe Doctor who has used less regens. That said the Christmas special, he is set to meet his future self, which may lead to the discovery of how he may continue.

I'll miss Tenant, more so than Eccleston, not that Chris was bad, I thought he was fantastic, but there was simply more time to become attached to Tenant than Chris. Anyone have any preference on who the new Doctor should be? Young, old, bearded, short, tall, ginger?

I'm looking forward to the direction Moffat will take it in, and if any of his past episodes are to go by, it should be amazing.

Ryhs Ifans names been mentioned by a few tabloids, amongst other people

RhysIfans.jpg

I quite like him, hes been good in everything ive seen him in, (notting hill, kevin and perry ect..) He could possible make a good doctor, totally different from Tennant and Eccleston

The Americans probably aren't going to know who I'm talking about, but I think James Nesbitt would be a great Doctor. He recently worked with Doctor Who's next showrunner Steven Moffat (who's written all the best new episodes) on Moffat's series Jekyll, and I thought the guy was fantastic and had a great range. His rougher look and demeanor would be a nice contrast to the squishy Tennant.

james_nesbitt_narrowweb__300x430,0.jpg
nesbittL0208_468x305.jpg

Guy totally LOOKS like a "Doctor".

And I highly recommend Jekyll, a great mini-series (6 episodes, I think>) that is worth tracking down online if you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po33ggf23qU

A trailer, and there's actually a link on the page to watch the show itself:

I always thought Nesbitt would make a great Doctor, certainly a Doctor who could physically kick your ass. The first Irish Doctor is also something I could dig, but he has apparently said he's uninterested in the role. Jekyll was a great wee series though, plenty of cool moments.

Anyone in the UK watching the Torchwood miniseries this week?

Damn, this is great stuff so far.

Still a little bummed they didn't get a full season, but hopefully this will do well enough in the ratings to help that.

I'm pretty sure this is airing later this month or next month in the U.S., but it's "available" if you want to see it sooner.

Anyone in the UK watching the Torchwood miniseries this week?

Damn, this is great stuff so far.

Still a little bummed they didn't get a full season, but hopefully this will do well enough in the ratings to help that.

I'm pretty sure this is airing later this month or next month in the U.S., but it's "available" if you want to see it sooner.

Just watched the final episode on UKTV in Australia.

Wont give anything away.

So the end is near for David Tennant. I, for one, can't wait to see it!

Already downloaded it, fucking fantastic. And perhaps Melon was just expressing enthusiasm to see the big climactic finale. I can't wait either.

Tennant is probably my second fav Doc, for what it's worth.

Already downloaded it, fucking fantastic. And perhaps Melon was just expressing enthusiasm to see the big climactic finale. I can't wait either.

Tennant is probably my second fav Doc, for what it's worth.

Yes, you're correct. The preview for "The End of Time" looks like it's going to be an amazing episode!

(And I'm really starting to think that Tennant is my favourite!)

That episode pretty much showed off the best and worst of Russell T. Davies.

Yeah, cool reveal at the end, I guess. I'll reserve final judgement until the next episode.

That episode pretty much showed off the best and worst of Russell T. Davies.

By "worst," I presume you're referring to the myriad of Masters? Hah...I have to admit, of all the over-the-top moments I've shrugged off over the years, I've found that to be the most difficult one to swallow.

Apparently David Tennant's Doctor was impervious to the instant regeneration that the others went through. He was able to stretch his out long enough to take a greatest hits tour first.

:rolleyes:

Apparently David Tennant's Doctor was impervious to the instant regeneration that the others went through. He was able to stretch his out long enough to take a greatest hits tour first.

:rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure that this is less problematic than, say, Romana's regeneration sequence in "Destiny of the Daleks," where not only does she regenerate for no apparent reason, but then does so multiple times before settling on her final appearance.

And while "Doctor Who" has always had a great deal of preposterousness about the whole thing, radiation poisoning is probably the one thing I could think of that could cause a prolonged regeneration sequence, considering the many examples in real life of people having been exposed to lethal doses of radiation and then not even falling ill--let alone dying--until several days later. I think what happened, ultimately, could be considered consistent with that.

Or, at the very least, we've been asked to suspend our disbelief much further in other episodes, both in the new and old series, so I'm not tremendously bothered by this.

Yeah, you're right. It was just a bit OTT on Russell T. Davies' part. I mean, surely Tom Baker, having done the character for 7 years, could have claimed a similar epic departure. Instead, we got a simple fantastic regeneration scene with The Watcher and all the various companions and enemies swirling around his mind. Of course, Logopolis itself was just a fantastic, atmospheric episode, something I wouldn't say about The End of Time, which is probably most comparable to the final serial of Jon Pertwee and producer Barry Letts, who pulled out all the stops for Planet of the Spiders. But that was better as well.

Yeah, you're right. It was just a bit OTT on Russell T. Davies' part. I mean, surely Tom Baker, having done the character for 7 years, could have claimed a similar epic departure. Instead, we got a simple fantastic regeneration scene with The Watcher and all the various companions and enemies swirling around his mind. Of course, Logopolis itself was just a fantastic, atmospheric episode, something I wouldn't say about The End of Time, which is probably most comparable to the final serial of Jon Pertwee and producer Barry Letts, who pulled out all the stops for Planet of the Spiders. But that was better as well.

Certainly, Tom Baker, of all the Doctors, should have had the most magnificent of regeneration sequences, and really, his isn't all that bad. But, by that metric, it's all the more interesting then that Peter Davison, who (I believe) had the shortest tenure to date, went out in real style. I also have an affinity for how Patrick Troughton "departed" (strictly speaking, we aren't shown his regeneration).

RTD's extended sequence, I imagine, is because we're ultimately bidding "farewell" to his entire universe, not just Tennant (although, while I'm fairly confident we're not going to see most of them again, I'm curious about Jack since "Torchwood" is supposedly continuing). Steven Moffat has additionally signalled that he sees his series tenure as more of a "reboot" than a continuation, and intends to call it "Series One" again.

I guess one can debate as to whether this extended sequence is more about "vanity" than a true farewell to everything, but I think a case can be made for the latter.

Davison technically had the shortest tenure, yes. Hartnell was on for three seasons + two additional serials in Season Four, but was in a total of 28 stories compared to Davison's 20. Troughton was only on for slightly less than three seasons, but again had more total serials. And yes, Davison's finale is still arguably the best of of any Doctor's.

I really wish more had been made of the Torchwood/DW crossover. I understand that they couldn't put the family character of The Doctor on a risque show like TW, but Gwen & Jack should have been on DW more, instead of those weak cameos in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. So I hope at some point Moffat brings back at least Jack at some point. Which would only be appropriate considering he first appeared in Moffat's Who debut anyway--The Empty Child.

Gonna miss Tennant, he became my favorite of the Doctors - the ones I know anyway. :( Thought the ending episode was 7.5 / 10. I expected more, actually. Hopefully Moffat can continue his hot streak for a while.

Supposedly the Weeping Angels from Blink are coming back. Bring back Sally Sparrow!

Yeah, the finale was all a bit too overblown and convoluted for me. The 'reward' scene was incredibly self-indulgent but the ultimate regeneration was quite moving. I didn't like Tennant's last words though, the Doctor has always been pretty philosophical about changing into a new body. He's never actively tried to fight it before really, he's too old and wise for that. He knows it's all just part of the process.

Davision's finale was recently voted the greatest story of all time. I have to agree, End of Time was no Androzani, that had a palpable sense of finality about it and for once the regeneration felt like a genuinely traumatic ordeal. Moffat will have to go some to top it.

I wouldn't underestimate Moffat's abilities to top anything. I'd put his Who episodes up with any of the classic series' best.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
The Girl in the Fireplace
Blink
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

That is one phenomenal run. The fact that he's writing SIX episodes this year is easily enough for it to contend for the greatest DW season ever.

Back
Top Bottom