Burn After Reading - What do you think of the new Coens movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm always excited for a new Coens film, hopefully this'll be good.

No mentions of Frances McDormand? This is the Coen bros we're talking about, people. Far-friggin'-go.

I am looking forward to this quite a bit. :up:

party0049.gif

Burn after Reading

Is anyone else really looking forward to this? I'm a really big Coen Brothers fan

huge coen fan.

very funny in parts, but somewhat uneven. seemed to me to be their least original movie. the first scene with the divorce lawyer, sounded almost indentical to the 'this aggression will not stand' line from lebowski. a lot of seemed like a rehash of their other movies. its like the bastard child of fargo and intolerable cruelty, but not as good as it should be.

i loved the scene with malkovich and his dad on the boat. was a total farce of the crap directors like michael bay/turtletaub do. that scene along with the intro and outro part- reminded me very much of the way hot fuzz made fun of the big action type film. it was very funny, but seemed out of place with a lot of the rest of it.

lots of very funny parts, but overall initially (i'm sure this will change, after i see it about 5 more times) its one of my least favorite coen films. but least favorite coen, still means better than 99% of whats out there.

This movie was so freakin funny I swear I pissed myself laughing so much. What a clever cast and excellent writing/acting. Brad Pitt and George Clooney are great together. I highly recommend seeing the movie. This is one I think I'd even buy the dvd to watch it repeatedly, especially for a Coen Bros fan. :up::up::up:

Coen fans, where would this stack up with the other ones you've seen? Before seeing this, here's how I stand:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Barton Fink
3. Miller's Crossing
4. The Man Who Wasn't There
5. No Country for Old Men
6. Fargo
7. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
---
8. The Hudsucker Proxy
9. Blood Simple.
10. Raising Arizona
---
11. Intolerable Cruelty

I love the first 7, and like the rest until Intolerable Cruelty. Haven't seen The Ladykillers yet, only out of my desire to be a completist.

Honestly, I think it's at the very bottom of the pile for me. At least The Ladykillers was somewhat different from their usual fare.

Honestly, I think it's at the very bottom of the pile for me. At least The Ladykillers was somewhat different from their usual fare.

Really? That's too bad.

Oddly enough, aside from The Man Who Wasn't There, this was one of their first "original" screenplays in years.

O Brother is essentially 'The Odyssey'
Intolerable Cruelty was written with two other guys
The Ladykillers was a remake
No Country for Old Men was from a book...

Kind of odd to think about that.

1. Raising Arizona
2. Big Lebowski
3. Intolerable Cruelty
4. No Country for Old Men
5. O Brother Where Art Thou
6. Fargo
7. Miller's Crossing
8. Burn After Reading
9. Blood Simple
10. The Man Who
11. Barton Fink
12. Hudsucker Proxy

13. Ladykillers

It kind of disappointed me, they went a bit overload with the stunt casting and lost focus on tight writing, that and its the situation thats the funniest thing about it, just how bizarre the screenplay is, whereas laugh-out-loud funny moments were pretty much all shown in the trailers and TV spots. I still liked a lot of it, Frances McDormand was awesome, Pitt was a nice diversion but again too much of it was given away, Malkovich is always perfect as a scary or crazy guy, and Tilda Swinton was a nice addition, but for a good chunk of the time they were dedicating to Clooney (who I like, especially in his Coen movies) seemed wasted, he wasn't interesting until he starts to go mad.

Also the set up of who the characters were, their motivations, etc could have taken like 5 minutes, instead it took a third of the movie, dragged in the beginning, the JK Simmons bits were entertaining but pretty much unnecessary.

One thing I liked a lot though was Carter Burwell's score, and how the idiotic characters kept using random "jargon" that was clearly plucked from pop culture, like when Linda says in a dead serious tone "We are operating off the map"... :lol: it doesn't mean anything.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment, but I still liked it.

I'm stunned to see people rate Fargo so low, I like Big Lebowski but I've never understood why it seems to be their most popular film, its the most quotable but it really isn't their best to me.

O Brother Where Art Thou
Fargo
Miller's Crossing
The Man Who Wasn't There
No Country For Old Men
Intolerable Cruelty (might rate it higher, certainly higher than most people)
Blood Simple
Big Lebowski
Hudsucker Proxy
The Ladykillers

hmm I never watched Intolerable Cruelty , any good?

i don't know why people don't rate this one higher. one of my favorites, some days, depending on my mood, this is my favorite coen movie. one of their funniest movies. clooney plays an idiot again, and is really good. he said recently that burn after reading completed his idiot trilogy.

the few scenes with billy bob thorton in intolerable cruelty are great- some of the coen's funniest.

Back
Top Bottom