Breaking Bad II - Always say "thank you" to Walt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whatever. I'll be watching the last three episodes robotically, because it's hard for me to give a shit about these cartoon puppets anymore.

This would make perfect sense to me . . . if it were posted in the Dexter thread.

Behold the crazyBreaking Bad: The Complete SeriesBlu-ray package (and learn of its extras) | TV | Newswire | The A.V. Club

627.jpg

That was the cruelest fucking ending. Christ. THIS FUCKING SHOW.

This and

I've given up predicting what'll happen to any character on this show. Watch a bullet in the desert ricochet and nail Walter Jr. in the head. Who knows what'll happen at this point?

this.

Unbelievably, Walt is actually starting to earn my sympathy again. When he called off the neo-Nazi goons after seeing Hank, then allowed himself to be cuffed like a man utterly defeated...well, I felt sorry for the asshole. I think we'll see two ruptured relationships reforge (Marie and Skylar trying to figure out what happened to their husbands, and Jesse and Walt trying to escape Todd's wacko clan).

I wouldn't say he had my sympathy, but I did appreciate his reaction upon seeing the Nazis rock up.

If anything should have set Junior's alarm bells ringing it's that dad hasn't appeared without a bruise, a cut, or sticking plaster (or all three) on his face in the last two and a half years.

"Don't worry Junior, it's just your Uncle Hank beat the shit out of me."

Ah okay. I didn't know if you meant the show because it's a point of confusion for a lot of people. They're like "It took Hank five years to figure it out!" No, it took him a little over a year.

Falling for the setup is one thing. Blathering on and on and listing all his worst crimes over the phone in blunt, clear language with names ("...when I killed Gus...", "when I poisoned Brock...", "when I ran over those gangbangers") is beyond believability for me. It rang totally false.

Your first post I did not agree with.

This one, I do.

Having said that, others make a great point about how truly greed (for his family, ostensibly?) has been Walt's sole motivator, all along. Hence, when that is finally threatened, he loses every shred of cautious genius and starts blathering like he did.

At any rate, we've been asked to suspend disbelief before, so this is pretty much expected at this point.

I thought it was a little more bizarre that the skinhead guys would open fire knowing that Walt is directly in the line of fire. He's their meal-ticket. And then with all those shots poppin off, more bullets are hitting the truck and possibly Walt than are hitting Hank and Gomez? I don't care how they ended the episode, Hank and Gomez are deader than dead, they absolutely die in this gun battle.

They gave Walter Jr. his big moment just a couple of episodes ago, where he stopped cold and turned to his dad and said "Can you just stop lying for one minute?" or something like that.

And then it was another tease as he reverted to "It's the cancer again isn't it?"

So I suppose the way that the writers are working around Walter Jr.'s ignorance is to show that he's far too concerned about his dad's health to even suspect anything else going on. And, honestly, that seems fair to me. From Season 1 he's been obviously very invested and worried about his dad's condition.

Totally not interested in a Saul spinoff. I don't even like his character all that much. I realize I am in the minority on this one.

I wonder if this means Mike will make the occasional comeback, not to mention a steady diet of Kuby and HUELL. Spin-offs and cross-universe shows are a blast if they take a character and contour it to their point-of-view. No one would have expected a Frasier spin-off to be successful... then again, folks also clamored for a Joey series.

I'm happy that Bob Odenkirk gets consistent work.

Laz, the show at its core is a semi-Shakespearean sci-fi pulp gangster western, either at different points or all at the same time. Why should you take it seriously? The re-iterations you mention are grating if you point them out; there are enough characterological complexes and shifting sympathies to make up for those more obvious moments, in my opinion. At what point did the show lose its luster for you?

I'm bummed that Sterling's Gold: The Erotic Journey to the Top of the Advertising World isn't being optioned. We can't always get what we want.

Walt's "confession" to Jesse came as a result of his need to "explain" things to him.

remember how Walt went on and on about how Jesse just needed to have something like Brock's poisoning "explained" so that he would see things Walt's way and understand why Walt did what he did?

this was Walt explaining to Jesse. that's why he wanted to meet with him in the first place in the square and Jesse backed out. it's not that Walt was wrong to do what he did, but that he hadn't yet had the chance to explain it to Jesse.

sure, it's convenient, and compressed for time, as this is a TV show and not a documentary, but one gets the sense, based on attentively watching the show and paying attention to textual clues, that Walt had been rehearsing what he was going to say for a while, and it all came spilling out in a moment of extreme stress.

I thought it was a little more bizarre that the skinhead guys would open fire knowing that Walt is directly in the line of fire. He's their meal-ticket. And then with all those shots poppin off, more bullets are hitting the truck and possibly Walt than are hitting Hank and Gomez? I don't care how they ended the episode, Hank and Gomez are deader than dead, they absolutely die in this gun battle.

the realization of Walt being in the line of fire is, i think, the only way Hank and Gomez live.

but they probably won't.

still, i'm more and more convinced that the phone call to Marie is a dramatic convention they want to subvert.

but probably not.

If the spin-off is half as good as Chief Wiggum, P.I., we're in for a treat.

Walt's "confession" to Jesse came as a result of his need to "explain" things to him.

remember how Walt went on and on about how Jesse just needed to have something like Brock's poisoning "explained" so that he would see things Walt's way and understand why Walt did what he did?

this was Walt explaining to Jesse. that's why he wanted to meet with him in the first place in the square and Jesse backed out. it's not that Walt was wrong to do what he did, but that he hadn't yet had the chance to explain it to Jesse.

sure, it's convenient, and compressed for time, as this is a TV show and not a documentary, but one gets the sense, based on attentively watching the show and paying attention to textual clues, that Walt had been rehearsing what he was going to say for a while, and it all came spilling out in a moment of extreme stress.

He still isn't dumb enough to explain it over the phone.

Like right before Gus slit Victor's throat. He didn't shut the fuck up for like four straight minutes. It's kind of his thing.

I'm not saying this was BB's smoothest move, but it's not that out of line with anything else that's happened over the past 5 seasons, and makes enough sense in context that it doesn't stick out for me.

For me, the biggest point of plot silliness is how Walt ever gave Brock the poison. But I didn't care, because the final 4-5 eps of S4 were so thrilling, and Gus' death so incredibly satisfying.

For me, the biggest point of plot silliness is how Walt ever gave Brock the poison. But I didn't care, because the final 4-5 eps of S4 were so thrilling, and Gus' death so incredibly satisfying.

Yes, 100% this. It's a great example of the intent and repercussions being far more important than the how/why it took place. Also, a specific example of a plot point that isn't explained verbally -- the final push-in to the plant to end Season 4 is soul-crushing -- but how it's been up for debate among fans who stick more to the linguistic, literary side of storytelling. I find that divide fascinating.

It's a moment of panic in line with Walt's earlier behavior.

No, this doesn't happen with people. They establish one specific mode of behavior early on and never under any dramatic circumstances deviate. Dumbass.

Yes, 100% this. It's a great example of the intent and repercussions being far more important than the how/why it took place. Also, a specific example of a plot point that isn't explained verbally -- the final push-in to the plant to end Season 4 is soul-crushing -- but how it's been up for debate among fans who stick more to the linguistic, literary side of storytelling. I find that divide fascinating.

His delivering the poison to Brock is a great little mystery that is allowed to elude us forever. Like it's one of Walt's particularly clever little schemes that even the creators of the show aren't in on. Love that scene when Walt visits the kid's house to ask his mother about Jesse, and he's all just like Oh hey Brock, sup, standing in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom