Better Call Saul - hell yeah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they announced the title of episode 5...

Black and Blue.

Negro y Azul is the name of the episode in Breaking Bad where Tortuga's head on a turtle explodes - which opens with the song Negro y Azul: The Ballad of Heisenberg.

The Breaking Bad episode that immediately follows Negro y Azul? Better Call Saul.

FI_xVxbX0AEQdA7.png

Finally got a chance to watch Saul. There are so many great characters on this show. Nacho was amazing. I think I would have died holding my breath in the tanker.

This is my guess as to how this plays out here as we approach the end of the first half of the season.

Kim lives. Howard dies (possibly self inflicted). Might be next episode. Kim and Jimmy/Saul's scheme has something to do with it - whether it's direct or final straw.

Possible that Howard lives and Kim gets arrested / debarred or something to that angle instead.

Kim gets the vacuum guy to disappear her - either to avoid charges or restart as lawyer somewhere else or whatever.

Saul eventually goes to Omaha because Kim is originally from Nebraska.

I have no idea how the Lalo angle ends because conceivably Jimmy/Saul thinks he's still alive when he first meets Walt/Jessie in BB. This has bothered me because the only time he's ever mentioned in BB was in that one scene. Seems too important to just not be mentioned at all.

Assuming Gus/Mike kill him but weird how Saul wouldn't know that. Still so many loose ends to tie up.

The writers really have a hell of a challenge explaining why in BB Saul thinks Lalo is alive and Gus indirectly states he is dead to Hector. I suppose the "did Lalo send you?" line could be referring to a threat Lalo made before he died, but that seems a bit too convenient.

One more thing:

This plot line with Kim trying to take down Howard is easily the most convoluted thing the show has ever done. No matter how many angles I think about it from, her vendetta against Howard makes no sense, and a handful of childhood flashbacks to her being underestimated are not nearly as convincing as the writers seem to think they are. For a show that has been so organic, this plot line feels extremely forced.

One more thing:

This plot line with Kim trying to take down Howard is easily the most convoluted thing the show has ever done. No matter how many angles I think about it from, her vendetta against Howard makes no sense, and a handful of childhood flashbacks to her being underestimated are not nearly as convincing as the writers seem to think they are. For a show that has been so organic, this plot line feels extremely forced.

well...

the entire HHM angle from the beginning is a tad convoluted - starting with Charles McGill's whole fake allergy to electronic devices ... but that particular storyline paid off, so i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that this one will as well.

it only shows how good the rest of the show is that they can get away with some of this and it doesn't take away from the show whatsoever - at least for me.

Really not loving the "let's make Lalo a Bond supervillain" treatment this season. The suspension of disbelief on his multi-continental murder tour is getting a bit much.

I hate to be negative on an episode that seems to have rave reviews. But isn't that ending a fair bit contrived? The misdirection in leading people to think Howard's demise will be from the drug seems to exist solely for the purpose of the shock-value murder at the very end. It just feels like the goal of the writing was to subvert expectations rather than weave a coherent story. Lalo just happens to waltz into the apartment at the exact time Howard is there, the same way Jimmy just happened to run into the arbitrator in a liquor store in a city of 500,000? I don't know. This season has really seemed like the writers are at pains to make everything align perfectly with BB, and the cracks are showing.

lalo just happens to waltz in at the exact time howard is there because jimmy left the door unlocked after letting howard in.

The larger issue is the timeline. Lalo had been plotting revenge, touring Germany etc for how long, and then has a revelation about Saul exactly as the "ruin Howard" scheme has reached its conclusion? It's a deus ex machina of epic proportions.

Last edited:
this is a spin-off of a show that literally had two of the main characters disappeared completely across the country by a vacuum cleaner repairman two episodes before the series finale. that's a deus-ex-machina of epic proportions (which i really hope they don't use again).

yeah it was convenient timing but it's not that egregious as far as this series/universe goes.

I am completely and totally in agreement with you about the vacuum repair. It would be a major disappointment if it is used as a solution for yet another character in duress.

i think you're being a wee bit too critical.

walter just happened to run into the father of the jessie's dead girlfriend right before he caused a massive plane crash directly over his swimming pool - but you draw a line on this one? eh - i dunno.

there's always a bit of suspension of reality - even in the best of shows. the writing has been terrific. the little details and call backs that are so easy to miss - the fuzz on the nursing home phone tipping off Lalo, and the cockroach walking by reminding him of Saul - calling back to his meeting with Kim last season? that's top quality shit right there.

As early as season 3 I thought the bones of BCS were stronger than BB because BCS struck me as more realistic and logically cohesive. I know that's not the only or even the primary marker of a great show; but for my tastes it has been a major draw for BCS.

Whatever my plot criticisms of this season, the cinematography and especially the acting have been superb. Mando and Fabian in particular really nailed their final episodes.

got it.

it's funny because i felt that the show really hit its stride once the "chuck is allergic to electronics but actually isn't" angle went away. but even that plot line - which i felt was convoluted and grew a little tired of - ultimately paid off with that amazing court scene.

ultimately even the most outrageous of storylines can work if the story telling is good - and in the case of BB and BCS, it's been masterful.

BCS has been at its best when it’s been allowed to forget it’s a prequel show. Jimmy is to all intents and purposes an original character and watching his character evolve alongside Kim has been better than I could have hoped. BB stumbled when they had a fixed endpoint to get to (the machine gun in the trunk), but likewise was amazing when it just let it characters act and find their way out of problems.

Mike’s story has been fun to watch, especially when it overlapped with Jimmy or Nacho, but season 4’s origin of the mega lab was a wheel spinning low point. I love watching him be methodical (like with the gas cap tracker), but joining dots from A to B all the way to Z when we already know Z is perfunctory.

I hope the final 6 episodes don’t have to lean too hard into BB. Ideally there will an ending to THIS show that can stand on its own, with an indication of where things will go for those with BB on their mind.

TV has been absolutely stellar lately. This, Barry, We Own the Night, Atlanta, Better Things, Severance and more.

Last edited:
So just venturing into this thread. This may be a hot take, but I like BCS better than Breaking Bad. I mean, I really liked BB, but I watched it for the first time about 3 years ago and... while very good, not as amazing as the hype I had built myself up for.

I find BCS has more depth, more long tension, better acting for the most part, and season 5 is outstanding.

That's all for now.

I did not anticipate what was going to happen to Howard. The dude playing Lalo is incredible. You really have to suspend disbelief when it comes to Lalo's ability to travel from Europe to New Mexico rather quickly. :wink: I casually watched BB, but I've seen every episode of BCS simply off of Odenkirk alone. Been a fan since Mr. Show. Plenty of great actors on BCS, of course.

i don't really understand when people say that lalo's traveling is unrealistic, and it seems to be the main complaint of this season from a lot of corners.

a flight between frankfurt and albuquerque is only half a day of travel. one of the top lieutenants in an international drug cartel having a fake passport makes sense. and the cops have put into record that lalo is dead because of the burnt up body double in the hacienda so it's not like the customs guy at the airport would be looking for him.

Back
Top Bottom