US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9 - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #361
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

That is not something you need to see right before bed. This could be the most effective birth control I've ever used. Thanks Mitty!

ETA: My lord, he really is dead behind the eyes. Maybe he should run for Mayor of Stepford.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #362
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:08 PM
I don't think McCain is scared to debate. (I'm actually surprised that's being suggested as I've heard it said that Obama is supposed to be the weaker debater, though a better speech maker).

I think McCain is a gambler. He's gambling that the American electorate will think like this:

[QUOTE=U2Fan101;5487145]i'm split between the two.

But McCain just earned major points in my book by wanting to put the 1st debate on hold to address the economic crisis. He's still a Senator. He still has a job to do. And so is Obama and Biden. And I think they need to follow suit and face this horrible economic crisis on our hands instead of bickering about who will be the next president.

I want to see work in action, not in words.

QUOTE]

It doesn't matter whether he actually contribute anything in Washington. He just has to LOOK like he's contributing something. Remember, the average person isn't really sure what exactly McCain or any of the Senators will be doing (I know I'm not certain), but they do like the image of a guy "rolling up his sleeves" and going to work.

McCain is a gambler, a maverick really--willing to do these unorthodox things (pick Palin for VP, suspend the campaign) to win the election. He's gambling on the gullibility of the electorate.

McCain hasn't "suspended" shit. This very ploy of "suspending the campaign" shows he's campaigning harder than ever.

Oh, and deep. . .how much did they pay you? Was it as much as they pay Sting?

I'm kidding of course (I think). I'm just amazed by the extent to which you've become a McCain apologist. Or maybe you're just REALLY playing devils advocate in here. . .I don't know.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #363
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

Oh, and deep. . .how much did they pay you? Was it as much as they pay Sting?

I'm kidding of course (I think). I'm just amazed by the extent to which you've become a McCain apologist. Or maybe you're just REALLY playing devils advocate in here. . .I don't know.

Last time I polled myself I was 43% for one candidate and 45% for the other

this board is 85 % for Obama, that pretty much is what all the polls on here end up at

If I were posting on a site that had a 85% bias for McCain
I would probably be posting information that was supportive of Obama

80%+ of the people I associate with in real life, because of where I live, are GOP and make anti Obama statements, I do sometimes present Obama's side? of the argument. Of course it is easier to do these things on a message board.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 AM   #364
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:

It doesn't matter whether he actually contribute anything in Washington. He just has to LOOK like he's contributing something. Remember, the average person isn't really sure what exactly McCain or any of the Senators will be doing (I know I'm not certain), but they do like the image of a guy "rolling up his sleeves" and going to work.

McCain is a gambler, a maverick really--willing to do these unorthodox things (pick Palin for VP, suspend the campaign) to win the election. He's gambling on the gullibility of the electorate.

McCain hasn't "suspended" shit. This very ploy of "suspending the campaign" shows he's campaigning harder than ever.
No kidding. It's not like he doesn't still have his Senate staff in DC, who do most of the work for him.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 AM   #365
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:

a maverick really
"maverick" used to be such a good word. Someone used it in a meeting today and we all realized it's so tainted now we can't really ever use it again.

R.I.P. maverick.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Last time I polled myself I was 43% for one candidate and 45% for the other

this board is 85 % for Obama, that pretty much is what all the polls on here end up at

If I were posting on a site that had a 85% bias for McCain
I would probably be posting information that was supportive of Obama

80%+ of the people I associate with in real life, because of where I live, are GOP and make anti Obama statements, I do sometimes present Obama's side? of the argument. Of course it is easier to do these things on a message board.
Fair enough. . .you're one hell of a DA (Devil's Advocate) though. I'll give you that!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 AM   #367
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
"maverick" used to be such a good word. Someone used it in a meeting today and we all realized it's so tainted now we can't really ever use it again.

R.I.P. maverick.
Yeah, especially when Top Gun came out!

A lot to be learned about the pros and cons of "maverickism" from that movie. I don't think being a maverick is necessarily bad. It's not always good either though. It depends on the circumstances, the amount of risk involved, and what's at stake. After all, being a maverick is great if you're right. But if you're wrong and you buck the crowd. . .

I mean would Goose still be alive if Tom Cruise had been a little less of a "Maverick"?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 AM   #368
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Fair enough. . .you're one hell of a DA (Devil's Advocate) though. I'll give you that!

no Devils in this race

just a couple of imperfect servants - wanting to do the right thing
Old 09-25-2008, 06:37 AM   #369
ONE
love, blood, life

I want Palin to debate Obama since she should step in when McCain cannot fulfill his responsibilities.

I am tired of the publicity stunts by McCain.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #370
Refugee

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
McCain does not want to take action. He wants to distract you from the issues.
Well, if it's true. It's working for me.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #371
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fan101 View Post
Well, if it's true. It's working for me.
How does it feel being gullible? Don't you feel as though he's insulting your intelligence?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #372
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't think McCain is scared to debate.
Part of me thinks this is all a red herring cooked up to get rid of the VP debate.

Sarah Palin isn't ready. They know it.

She's been cramming for 2 weeks and the interview with Katie Couric is her best shot? Come on, they can add 2 and 2 together.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

Barney Frank:

Quote:
“All of a sudden, now that we’re on the verge of making a deal, John McCain drops himself in to make a deal," Frank said. "I really worry about this politicization of it."

"Frankly, we’re going to have to interrupt a negotiating session tomorrow between the Democrats and Republicans on a bill, where I think we’re getting pretty close, and troop down to the White House for their photo-op, and then come back and get on to it," Frank said.

“We’re trying to rescue the economy, not the McCain campaign,” he added.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #374
Blue Crack Addict

i disagree with the poster that said Obama was the weaker debater.. I think he is quite capable and will do an excellent job in the debate when it happens. Mc Cain is not a good speaker/debater so IMO he is the weaker of the two.. Hopefully, we will have a debate soon with this political ploy/tactic that McCain pulled.. I just don't buy this as legitimate on his part, I think it's a stunt to deflect the attention to him and make him look like the hero with his involvement in the bailout talks i.e. taking the credit for it.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #375
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Part of me thinks this is all a red herring cooked up to get rid of the VP debate.

Sarah Palin isn't ready. They know it.

She's been cramming for 2 weeks and the interview with Katie Couric is her best shot? Come on, they can add 2 and 2 together.

i agree with you here.. I think it's something along these lines..