U.S. now giving $350 mil instead of $35 mil - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2005, 05:56 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Seriously, what sickens me, is the number of people in here who are using the deaths of hundreds of thousands to bash America. I am not saying we are perfect. I am not saying we are the greatest. We have our flaws, but we also have our good qualities. This whole thing that happened just makes my heart wrench, and I thought I could come in here with the people I have shared three years of time with, to find the climate after the election restored with this total bullshit.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:29 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Americans are human. We screw up, we fall on our face sometimes, but sometimes we do good things. We're really no different from people in other countries, we're all people. Let's work together to ease the pain and suffering of the earthquake victims' families and friends.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:33 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I agree verte
Old 01-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #19
Acrobat

Well, it is not as if Pres. Bush can just come out and say "Hey, I am going to give 500 mil." A plan does have to be put together in order to ensure that money is spent wisely and in the right way. Everyone knows (at least those with common sense) that regardless of whatever party is in power, the US will always give the most in natural disasters like this. The Bush admin. was not cowing before world opinion when it upped its amount. I mean, it is not like the US is not already the top giver in the world. What also must be taken into account are private donors. By the time all this has ended, I am sure that private donors will have given millions upon millions.

It must also be remembered that the Bush admin. is not taking into account its logistical support. No other country has the ability to airlift massive amounts of supplies. Thanks to the US Air Force and Navy, help can get to places that might otherwise be SOL. So please, everyone sit back, take a deep breath, and wait to pass judgment until the mess has cleared up. Shame on those who have exploited this disaster for political cheapshots.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:09 AM
I'm personally proud that we are pushing the funding. It's not in a way to say "our country is better than yours, reenie reenie," but to influence other countries, as well as individuals, to help out. I applaud those who oppose Bush's policies but are being reasonable enough on here to appreciate the funding. I will not applaud those who say America is some kind of cheap-ass country as long as we have Bush, and that we won't keep our promises. This is really starting to piss me off. This ISSUE should be NON-PARTISAN!! I would think that this should be a safe issue, even if you don't like those who are HELPING OTHERS. Give the pessimistic attitude a break, unless of course YOU can donate more than $350 million.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:17 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, this should be non-partisan. I don't think parties and political persuasions should be an issue when you're talking about a disaster like this.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:39 AM   #22
Babyface

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Since most of the affected countries are Islamic , doesn't it seem strange that it's the Christian countries that are giving and doing more than the oil rich Islamic nations? Why bash USA about what their giving, Saudi Arabia is only donating about $10 million, they'd probably make that much money in an hour of oil sales.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:21 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:09 AM
And please remember that this is only the government aid. Disaster specific donations to US based charities have gone through the roof.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

which is wonderful.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
And please remember that this is only the government aid. Disaster specific donations to US based charities have gone through the roof.
That's fantastic.