U.S. colleges + ... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:23 AM
U.S. colleges + ...

Until now I thought U.S. colleges are summa summarum better than European universities. After all theyīre more expensive, and I thought that the U.S. high school system doesnīt offer as much compared to the European, but that the colleges are better.

Now, I recently heard from a friend that there are big differences. I heard that there are a handful of very good colleges, like Berkeley etc., but that most of the colleges arenīt that great.

Therefore American businesses appreciate the quality of education of Europeans with a university degree. I was told that the handful of top U.S. colleges range above all, for sure, but that maybe an American businessman would prefer someone (with an equivalent to Masters degree) from Europe to an American who has studied at a not-so-top U.S. university.

Plus I was told that in the U.S. it is possible you just meet someone in a cafe, who might be impressed, simply by talking, and offers you a job. Thatīs not possible in Europe, under normal circumstances - you either have to "know" someone, or to lick ass for about three years, before to get any chance for a great job.

Sure enough there are exceptions. But actually, that sounds quite interesting.

Is that true, in general? What do you think? Have you noticed any of the above? Share your experiences.

Old 03-01-2003, 01:28 AM   #2
She's the One

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Who's this friend and how the hell does he know?

Old 03-01-2003, 01:29 AM   #3
She's the One

And what kind of jobs are you talking about?
Old 03-01-2003, 07:46 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just a friend who managed to get a good job in the U.S., he said that in America, there are more possibilities. And Iīm talking about a job in the entertainment industry, or teaching in a university, or plain marketing, or in communications.

Sorry if this might seem offending. Donīt be so reluctant. Its just a question.

How is the way of life in America? How do you deal with interviews? How do you get people to hire you? Is it "common" to play more easy, like to say "hey, gimme that chance", in a way, or to play it all serious, like "dear sir"?
Old 03-01-2003, 07:57 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:23 PM
I spent a year in the US as an exchange student so I can sort of compare the US educational system to the one in my country. I think it's probably true to say there are some great US colleges and some very poor ones, but that's also true of most countries. Perhaps there is more variation in the quality of education at US colleges but just because there are more of them because it is such a large country.

However, I think the entry requirements for US colleges are lower than those in the UK. Partly because US high school curriculum is a lot broader than the UK - in my time in the US I studied seven different classes each semester, including some less "academic" subjects such as personal finance and health education. Students of the same age in the UK would study just three (sometimes four) subjects for their last two years of school, which means they get a far more in depth education in those subjects. I think US students graduate from high school with a much broader education, but with far less knowledge in any individual subject.

And of course that must affect college education. Here in the UK degrees like medicine and law are taught at undergraduate level because students can learn the pre-requisite subjects in depth at school. However in the US they're graduate degrees because students need to learn that knowledge in college rather than school.

I think I'm just rambling now...
Old 03-01-2003, 11:10 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:23 PM
What Fizz said.

As far as jobs go, it totally depends on the type of job, I guess. It can be as random as talking to a stranger to as formal as having an agency look for jobs for you and interviewing all over the place.

Old 03-01-2003, 12:42 PM   #7
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Sorry if this might seem offending. Donīt be so reluctant. Its just a question.

I'm sorry I sounded so bitchy, hiphop. Yesterday was a very rough workday. I apologize. I feel better today.

I think Fizzy's answer is well thought out and quite interesting.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:20 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thank you Fizz, Sula, martha.

Dear reader, could you take the time and write a few lines?
Old 03-01-2003, 04:23 PM   #9
Neon Zebra

writer,

a question for you that i cannot resist...why do you want to know about american jobs? are you thinking of relocating to the states? do tell.

reader.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:28 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
please tell both of my brother's who graduated from MIT what your friend said. i am sure they would have a nice laugh.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:33 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Iīm not thinking of relocating right now. I donīt have any time now, its not concrete. It is one of the many possibilities in the future, though. Pure career option.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:36 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

MIT is one of the top universities too, as far as I know.

Why would they have a laugh?
Old 03-01-2003, 04:41 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
maybe i read your post wrong, i thought you said US colleges are not great. sorry.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:21 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

No, Miss Velvet Dress, I wonīt let you go that easy. I want your opinion! Please enlighten me with some more qualified research

So Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, Yale.
Are Duke and Johns Hopkins still amongst the top?

And what about other colleges? + job opportunities?

And another question: do you absolutely need 2 yrs of driving experience to get a fine job in the U.S.? If you need a driving license, can you make it in the States too, or would it look kinda strange if you donīt have any once youīre applying for a job? Or would you say this is not a major point for hiring?
Old 03-01-2003, 05:23 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Still, my most important question is: would you think a European degree equivalent to a Masters degree is of any value in the States?