Tim Russert dies of heart attack - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 PM
I'd like to get his books too, I figured they'd be sold out everywhere. I saw that Meet The Press tribute show, it was great.

Luke Russert was on the Today Show

MSNBC - The Today Show - Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira, Ann Curry, Al Roker, Natalie Morales - News, Celebrities, Recipes, Video, Tips and Advice, Entertainment and Live Concerts -- MSNBC.com Front Page

Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't know about others, but to me this has the impact of a Steve Irwin type thing. I know many people here felt deeply shaken when he died, but I personally never felt that way. But this feels like a death in the family.

I fell asleep last night watching an episode of Larry King where he was being interviewed, and still can't believe he's going to miss the ending of this year's election. So incredibly sad.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMullen's POPAngel View Post
I don't know about others, but to me this has the impact of a Steve Irwin type thing.
I've been feeling the exact same way for several reasons:

They were both SO full of life, and it's hard to imagine someone with such zeal for life gone.

They both died doing what they loved.

They both had an authenticity that made them really connect with their audience through the television.

They were both like our favorite teachers...excited about the subject and that excitement would rub off on us the students.

With their sudden loss there has been a void that may never be filled.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
They were both like our favorite teachers...excited about the subject and that excitement would rub off on us the students.

i think this gets at why his death -- as opposed to, say, Peter Jennings -- seems to sting a little bit more and have more resonant.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

The person described as the "light of Tim Russert's life," his son Luke, said he and his mother are "hanging' in there, [we] take it day by day" after the shocking, sudden death of his father, NBC newsman Tim Russert, on Friday. "We're holding up as best as can be."

Speaking at the top of Monday morning's Today show, the recent Boston College grad expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support he and his mother, print journalist Maureen Orth, have received, and said that planning for his father's funeral is helping to keep their minds off their sadness.

"She grieves like a wife, and I grieve like a son, so we're mourning differently," he said, also stressing that the family's Catholicism is strong source of support.

In a statement detailing autopsy results, Russert's physician Dr. Michael Newman said that the Meet the Press host "was known to have asymptomatic coronary artery disease [atherosclerosis], which resulted in hardening of his coronary arteries.

"His family was the most important thing in the world," his sister Kathy Russert-Hughes, 52, told PEOPLE. "And he always had time for family."

She added about her brother's relationship with his son: "Tim was a great dad, they were the closest a father could be to a son, a bond as strong as I've ever seen. The love was unimaginable from the day he was born."

Big Russ's Reaction

On Today, Luke also discussed his grandfather, retired Buffalo (N.Y.) sanitation worker Tim Russert Sr., known affectionately as "Big Russ" and the subject of Tim Russert's 2004 bestseller, Big Russ & Me.

Big Russ reportedly has not been himself and was recently placed in a care facility. Even so, said Luke, "I spoke to him yesterday, and I think he realized what happened."

Big Russ would say, Luke recalled, that in the family dynamic, Tim was "like the pitcher," Luke was "like the catcher" and Big Russ was "like the umpire." And now they've lost their pitcher.

Mom's Influence

Luke also paid tribute to his mother, who writes for Vanity Fair, describing her as "tough" and pointing out that when his parents were dating (the couple wed in 1983, and Luke was born three years later), Orth had a powerful byline as a cultural reporter for Newsweek, which made her more influential back then than Russert, whose career was just beginning to break.

Among those Orth covered for the newsweekly was Bruce Springsteen, who sent a memorial message to Today about Russert's passing.

A Forgiving Father

As described by Luke, Tim Russert came across as a concerned, loving and forgiving parent – even in the matter of Luke's secretly getting a tattoo during his senior year of high school, in November '03. The younger Russert was permanently marked with "TJR" – not only his own initials, but also that of his father and grandfather.

"This way," he explained, "I always have them at my side."

Tim Russert happened to catch his first glimpse of the skin decoration when Luke was trying on a shirt on Christmas morning. Though Tim's initial reaction was, "He did what?", ultimately he came to accept what his son had done.

Advised Luke: "If you have a tattoo, show it to your parents on Christmas.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Here's the video of Luke on the Today Show:
msnbc.com Video Player
Old 06-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Great interview.

It's been so weird watching the Meet the Press re-runs this weekend and then the tribute yesterday. It just doesn't seem true.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:19 PM
^^ I know it, I keep expecting to hear his voice reporting on this story...is that weird or what??

It's news.. where's Tim?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
Here's the video of Luke on the Today Show:
msnbc.com Video Player
He is quite an impressive young man.
He was so calm, cool and collected..............
I was not while watching this.

The picture they showed of Luke standing next to Tim's chair was very touching.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #85
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari schultz View Post
He is quite an impressive young man.
He was so calm, cool and collected..............
I was not while watching this.

The picture they showed of Luke standing next to Tim's chair was very touching.
I don't get the multi quote thing.

Anyways, thanks for posting the link U2Dem. I've watched everything else about Tim this weekend so it was nice to see Tim's son speak.

I agree that he was an impressive young man. I'm not sure if I could be that composed just a few days after such a loss like that.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw View Post
I agree that he was an impressive young man. I'm not sure if I could be that composed just a few days after such a loss like that.
It's a kind of numbness at first and you take care of business. Easier for some people than others, but it's the strength he was given by his Father and his Fathers, Father, and his Mother. Believe me he is grieving and his Mother is trying to hold up for him as well and him for his Mother. Then they'll go into other stages anger, denial etc.
I saw a clip tonight on Jon Stewart's show from an episode where Jon ask Tim, while discussing the book about Big Russ, "can I hug you, because you know I will come over there and just hug you".
Then the Colbert report had a segment of Tim Russert reminding Steven of how Colbert was spelled by using Bert and Ernie references.
Funny and touching. He was loved by so many and is profoundly missed, already.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:19 PM
^^So sweet.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Tim Russert's sudden death came as a shock to friends worldwide – none more than Cardinal John Patrick Foley, who spent time with him during the 58-year-old newsman's recent Italian vacation.

"He was in good form and happy to be spending time with his wife and son," the Cardinal (who met up with the Russert clan in Rome) tells PEOPLE. The Meet the Press host and his wife, Vanity Fair journalist Maureen Orth, were celebrating son Luke's recent graduation from Boston College.

Foley – who has known the devout-Catholic Russert for 24 years and even baptized Luke – accompanied the trio to Saint Peter's Square, where they had front-row seats for an audience with the Pope.

"He was a very religious person," Foley says. "He never tried to hide his faith but never forced it on anybody either."

Russert – who died of a heart attack June 13 in Washington, D.C., soon after returning from Italy – met Pope Benedict XVI last April, Foley adds. "But Tim thought it would be nice for his wife and son to experience [it], too. "

After the Papal audience, Foley took the family to a "small restaurant near the Vatican," where he and Russert ordered a filet steak and talked about politics.

"It was a very hot day and both Tim and his son were very hot, because they are both big men," he says. "We talked about his work and the presidential campaign ... This was his year."

After lunch, Foley arranged for his driver to take the Russerts to see the Sistine Chapel "through a special door," which allowed them to skip the long lines outside the Vatican museum.

Foley says Russert had already seen the Michelangelo frescoes many times before but wanted Luke and Maureen to see them as well. "He was very devoted to his son," adds the Cardinal, "and obviously very proud of him."
Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Anyone watching the memorial on MSNBC? Tom Brokaw gave a good speech, both funny and touching.