The Generation who watched our African brothers and sisters get put on the trains? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2003, 04:41 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 12:50 PM
"There may yet come a day when we have peacetime tribunals to deal with this particular version of crimes against humanity."

why doesn't somebody just cut off their dicks?

Old 01-19-2003, 07:19 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 06:50 AM
to be fair to the us, it wasnt just the united states who didnt want jews back in the day.

it amazes me just how much rascism existed in all walks of life just 60 years ago. im sure a lot of it is still there, but its now put behind clever masks.

so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-19-2003, 08:44 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 AM
I have come to learn through this thread and a little personal experience that comparing to Africa to the Holocaust just shouldn't be done. The emotions that rise when people even think that we could have stood back and let it all happen is such a huge issue that it can't be reconciled to be compared to Africa in the first place.

To raise the necessary attention that Africa needs, it shouldn't be compared to such a touchy subject. Africa's emergency gets lost while people reconcile to themselves the past.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:02 AM   #49
Refugee

he who forgets the past is condemned to repeat it (- a very famous person i forget)

"we're not so clever as we seem to think we are" -Julian Lennon

it's fine to eat tuna, the stuff in the can is not as bad as a fillet, says our pres bush, and i eat it all the time
Old 01-20-2003, 01:24 AM   #50
War Child

bostonanne, i agree to an extent, but i can still see the comparison and i do believe it is relatively fair.

i think he was saying it to really get the attention of the reader/listener. well, thats obvious i guess.
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas
bostonanne, i agree to an extent, but i can still see the comparison and i do believe it is relatively fair.

i think he was saying it to really get the attention of the reader/listener. well, thats obvious i guess.
so now we're all watching Bono!
Old 01-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #52
War Child

? not sure what you mean, precisely.
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-20-2003, 09:29 PM   #53
Refugee

C o' S, if Pres Roosevelt (just to name a someone we have heard of) went to England and gave a big speech about stopping the loading of Jews onto trains heading for God Knows Where, and then the US media and all these little groups of people sat around discussing this speech, we would have lost that many more trainloads of Jews. Does that make sense?

then again, if he had gotten run over by a train, we'd all demand that German trains be halted.

Schnell!
Old 01-24-2003, 08:16 PM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG
C o' S, if Pres Roosevelt (just to name a someone we have heard of) went to England and gave a big speech about stopping the loading of Jews onto trains heading for God Knows Where, and then the US media and all these little groups of people sat around discussing this speech, we would have lost that many more trainloads of Jews. Does that make sense?

then again, if he had gotten run over by a train, we'd all demand that German trains be halted.

Schnell!
Debbie, I'm still confused. Are you saying that if people discussed what was happening sooner than more people would have been lost?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:12 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

Debbie, I'm still confused. Are you saying that if people discussed what was happening sooner than more people would have been lost?
No. People should have been talking sooner, but they didn't and the time for a spreading epidemic has increased. but talk ALONE will not solve the problem. Are you trying to decide if you want to help? if you have the time? if you can do anything? how many people must you talk to? who will have the answer you think will be the one that will be the RIGHT thing to do. how long?

a man is taking out a gun. duck!

all talk and no action...it almost says that people feel it really is ok that people are dying this way. America went right into a campaign to use protection. Madonna went on record for this. weren't the Africans listening? what can help them now?
Old 01-25-2003, 06:13 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG

No. People should have been talking sooner, but they didn't and the time for a spreading epidemic has increased. but talk ALONE will not solve the problem. Are you trying to decide if you want to help? if you have the time? if you can do anything? how many people must you talk to? who will have the answer you think will be the one that will be the RIGHT thing to do. how long?

a man is taking out a gun. duck!

all talk and no action...it almost says that people feel it really is ok that people are dying this way. America went right into a campaign to use protection. Madonna went on record for this. weren't the Africans listening? what can help them now?
Oh, now I understand. I do find it amazing that it is in a "talk" process. All countries should be helping by now. It is so frustrating to want to help and feel like others don't get the emergency or don't care.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:41 AM   #57
New Yorker

So I've head the following point brought up by Bono, and by others involved in this fight. Wondering what you call think of it.

The point has been made that racism, latent or otherwise, is a factor in our collective complacency. If this were going on in the US, Europe, etc, we'd have it at the top of the adgenda. I frankly think there is something to this. Opinions?

SD

Boston Anne, I hear ya...
Old 01-26-2003, 10:02 AM   #58
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:50 AM
I definitely think race has an effect on our response to the crises in Africa. It has been a factor in our foreign relations forever. We have treated Africa as a second class continent. With the Administrations intense ecomonic, racial, and religious conservatism this trend will continue.

Sherry in your other thread you praised my senator, Mike Dewine for his backing of 180,000 million in aid. I feel that is such a small amount and almost half of what was promised (300,000), that I have no praise for him. It is nothing more than a TOKEN a bone thrown for effect. If our government was serious about the issue they would appropriate much more.

How about taking the tax money they are attempting to give to gas-guzzling SUV's and give that to Africa?
Old 01-26-2003, 06:38 PM   #59
Acrobat

It is most certainly a race issue. The West's attitude has been disgustingly paternal right up to the present. We seem to consider Africa a dissolute son who won't get his act togetehr and has no intention of doing so. WE CREATED THE PROBLEMS

You don't gut a continent with colonialsim for a couple centuries, destroy all of its social structures, grind its people into the dust, keep them uneducated and unskilled and then expect them to be just fine when you up and leave one day. Then you tell them to solve their problems with Western methods (cause those are the best of course) at the same time as raping the countries of teh resources and any wealth left. Then you bring down anyone who resists you (Patrice Lumumba in the Congo) and keep petty dictators in power. To expect Africans to do just fine after all that would be a grand joke if it weren't for the millions of African corpses piling up every year.

The West has a blood debt that growls larger with every passing hour. And still it treats Africans as children.

This kind of racism is easy since you never see the target of you rprejudice and therefore are never confronted by it. THEY are over there so passing judgement is very easy.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:45 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

As to the media......RATINGS RATINGS RATINGS

Peace
Great News on the media front. The Boston Sunday Globe had whole section devoted to getting people's attention this weekend. The Washington Post has Bono's open letter to the President. Let's hope that the media starts to open a lot of people's eyes!

Lives Lost

None of them had to die

Yesterday, 24,000 people worldwide could have been saved with basic care.

The same number could have been saved the day before, and the day before that. In all, over the last year, 8.8 million lives were lost needlessly to preventable diseases, infections, and childbirth complications.

The number of deaths is so vast, so unthinkable, that it seems to make sense only between the covers of a report by the World Health Organization, which issued the estimate. Perhaps it helps to note that the figure is roughly the population of New York City, or the population of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine combined.

But what makes the number real is to see someone die, and to know that this man, woman, or child would have survived in the United States or in much of the world.

The Globe undertook to become witness to some of these deaths. Only as a witness could we tell the stories of people who were dying by the thousands -- of how they died and why, and how they could have been saved if there had not been such maddening barriers to simple health care.

http://www.boston.com/globe/nation/packages/lives_lost/