the conservative case for same sex marriage - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #961
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Considering the topic was DOMA, it would not have been pertinent for him to address the single mother issue.
He was grandstanding is the point. For one thing "nuclear family" has always, and is still, defined in Merriam-Webster thusly:
Quote:
nuclear family
noun

: a family group that consists only of father, mother, and children
First Known Use of NUCLEAR FAMILY
But, just as marriage has recently had to be redefined so will nuclear family one supposes.

For the other thing, as I mentioned, gay adoption and gay marriage simply have not been around long enough to make any statistical judgement whatsoever as to their impact on society.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #962
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
So which are in favor of:

a. abortions to prevent single mothers

b. more (free) contraception to prevent single mothers

c. stoning of immoral women to prevent single mothers

d. women staying in abusive relationships to prevent single mothers

e. locked chastity belts to prevent single mothers

f. plural marraige to prevent single mothers
Let's see... the current rate of children born to unwed mothers is, depending on the year, 38-40 percent. The year I was born, to my married mother, the rate was 5.3.

When I was born in 1960:

A) abortion was illegal
B) oral contraception was 1 year from market and condoms were condoned by some churches and usually only available in pharmacies
C) stoning of women was illegal
D) abusive relationships exist in shack-up single mother homes too and at a higher rate I'd be willing to wager
E) I couldn't find chastity belts in an old Sears catalog I have
F) polygamy was illegal as well

So, there must be something else, a wee bit less dramatic perhaps, that could be done.

Yes, no?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #963
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
He was grandstanding is the point. For one thing "nuclear family" has always, and is still, defined in Merriam-Webster thusly:

But, just as marriage has recently had to be redefined so will nuclear family one supposes.

For the other thing, as I mentioned, gay adoption and gay marriage simply have not been around long enough to make any statistical judgement whatsoever as to their impact on society.
I feel so bad for Merriam and Webster, whatever are they going to do now?

And your last point there is sort of the whole point. The guy was trying to cite a study about nuclear families vs. single parent families and make it about same sex marriage, which is wrong. That was Franken's contention.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #964
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It is indeed troubling.
But you were cool with the other person lying?

Your 'Leave it to Beaver' painting of your childhood is a lie as well.

Do you have any clue as to how many children were born out of wedlock and how many abusive relationships were not reported back then due to stigma? A stigma brought on by your line of thinking?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #965
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The Senator might also look into that statistics concerning children raised by single mothers. It is indeed troubling.

stop this. just stop. it has nothing to do with gay people.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #966
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So, there must be something else, a wee bit less dramatic perhaps, that could be done.

Yes, no?

yes. let's make sure that gay people can't get married.

that will solve the problem.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #967
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

The Senator might also look into that statistics concerning children raised by single mothers. It is indeed troubling.
What is the point of bringing this up? Franken's argument was NOT that any old family configuration is as good as another--his point was that the study did not indicate that gender of the two parents was the defining issue in the healthy upbringing of the child, but rather the presence of two parents. The study didn't mention gender. Even if the researchers only studied heterosexual couples the sexual orientation of the couples was not the focus of the study, and therefore it's not appropriate to make that the point of the study for whatever reasons.

As you yourself pointed out there hasn't been a lot of research on the impact of same-sex married couples on chidlren, and as such this study cannot be used to make any statements about the effectiviness of such households.

But then you're smart enough that you already know this. I can only conclude that you're purposefully trying to obfuscate the issue.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #968
Blue Crack Supplier

the evidence shows that the best environment for a child is for it to have two committed lesbian mothers.

Kids with Lesbian Parents May Do Better Than Their Peers - TIME

but even still, i think that children need two good parents, so i am willing to give heterosexual men the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that far and away the biggest threat to children -- sexually or physically -- are straight men.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #969
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but even still, i think that children need two good parents, so i am willing to give heterosexual men the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that far and away the biggest threat to children -- sexually or physically -- are straight men.
I can't wait until the older generation that thinks that male on male pedophiles equal gay dies off. I can't believe I still hear that occasionally.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #970
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:54 AM
but if he wasn't gay he wouldn't be molesting little boys
Old 07-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #971
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
I can't wait until the older generation that thinks that male on male pedophiles equal gay dies off. I can't believe I still hear that occasionally.
When you say older, do you mean the 65+ crowd? Because I have heard neo-cons in their 30s and 40s say this. Sad but true.

When I hear people compare homosexuals to pedophiles, that to me shows nothing but pure hatred and fear of homosexuality, more so than citing the Bible that its wrong.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #972
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
but if he wasn't gay he wouldn't be molesting little boys

if they were gay, would men stop raping women and molesting little girls or beating their wives?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #973
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
still, defined in Merriam-Webster thusly:

you'll note that definition came about only in 1947 (post bomb, too, interesting ...)

before that, families were much different and more inter-generational than the past 60 years.

really, no 5,000 years of tradition.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #974
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Quote:
you'll note that definition came about only in 1947 (post bomb, too, interesting ...)
Though the term was coined in 1947, the concept had apparently been recognized by sociologists since the 17th century. And some historians have pinpointed the nuclear family as a concept (father, mother, children) being solidified by the end of the medieval period. Apparently as early as the 8th century, the term "family" was recognized in Germanic tribes as meaning one's immediate family.

Quote:
before that, families were much different and more inter-generational than the past 60 years.

really, no 5,000 years of tradition.
Agree with inter-generational. The role that both a father and mother plays -- regardless of the cultural interpretation -- is up for much debate.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #975
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Quote:
if they were gay, would men stop raping women and molesting little girls or beating their wives?
nobody has ever accused a gay man of doing any of those things

lets stay on topic, we are concerned about little boys being molested by men because they are gay men.

we don't have any bias' or prejudices, our only concern is little defenseless boys.

who can argue with that?