Srebrenica massacre tape has at last forced Belgrade to face up to its war atrocities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vivaSA

War Child
How video that put Serbia in dock was brought to light

Srebrenica massacre tape has at last forced Belgrade to face up to its war atrocities

Tim Judah in Sarajevo and Daniel Sunter in Belgrade
Sunday June 5, 2005
The Observer

For 10 years they have not slept easy. The casual killers of the six cowed and beaten prisoners from Srebrenica were happy to play to the camera that day in July 1995, high on victory and heroes in the eyes of many fellow Serbs. But, as the years have worn on, that sheen has dimmed and the fear has grown. Did the tape still exist? Who had it? Where was it?
The tape is also the 'smoking gun', for it is the final, incontrovertible proof of Serbia's part in the Srebrenica massacres in which more than 7,500 Bosnian Muslim men and boys were murdered. Until last week Serbian officials, both from the wartime regime of Slobodan Milosevic and since his fall in 2000, have argued that Serbia was not involved with the massacres. Now, the tape proves that to have been a lie.

Link to the article from The Observer

The Time Magazine on the same video

Link to the video

s1_050601010.jpg

s2_050601010.jpg

I'm not judging or criticising anyone who watched it, but I kind of have reservations with what essentially amounts to a 'snuff' video being put out there like that. I'm not convinced it serves a useful purpose.

Last edited:
menelaos said:
I also watched this video...
I almost cried on the view of killing these poor people...

And he was recognised by his mother 10 years later.
This is horrible!

Mother sees son's murder - The Guardian

..."I saw him. He was second in the row. They were pushing him," his mother said. "He turns, and I see him, and it was my Azmir. Seconds later, they shoot him. He falls," said Ms Alispahic, 60, sitting beside her daughter Magbula in their room in a refugee camp near the northern town of Tuzla...

financeguy said:
I'm not judging or criticising anyone who watched it, but I kind of have reservations with what essentially amounts to a 'snuff' video being put out there like that. I'm not convinced it serves a useful purpose.

Well if you were following Milosevic's trial then you should know that this video was shown during the testimony of a Deputy Minister of Interior in Serbia during Milosevic's rule and that these executions on the video were committed by police forces from Serbia which proves Milosevic's direct involvement in the war in BiH.
Now, I know that nothing will bring this 16 years old kid to his mother, but at least justice will be served so that other possible "Srebrenicas" are prevented for the sake of the future of the human kind!

Good Lord, some people are just plain monsters. I really don't consider these, uh, beings as people. They're too evil.

vivaSA said:
Well if you were following Milosevic's trial then you should know that this video was shown during the testimony of a Deputy Minister of Interior in Serbia during Milosevic's rule and that these executions on the video were committed by police forces from Serbia which proves Milosevic's direct involvement in the war in BiH.
Now, I know that nothing will bring this 16 years old kid to his mother, but at least justice will be served so that other possible "Srebrenicas" are prevented for the sake of the future of the human kind!

Absolutely, yes. I hope that these criminals are brought to justice.

verte76 said:
I really don't consider these, uh, beings as people. They're too evil.

Having read quite a bit about the Northern Ireland situation, I think it was interesting to discover that during the worst years of the Troubles there, psychiatric hospitals were closing down! Why? Because many of the lunatics who would usually be locked up were fighting for "the Struggle", on either side.

Unfortunatelly the same thing happened here. It was even described in one of the songs of a local singer Balasevic, and it was something like: "They used to let them out of the hospital over the weekend, while now they gave them right to go directly behind the microphone stand in the parliament"

No Hollywood movie has ever given me a bad dream. I've read every Stephen King book, and never twitched.

But things like this give me nightmares for weeks. Because they are real. I hope I never see this tape.

And I hope the ones responsible are brought to justice.

financeguy said:

Having read quite a bit about the Northern Ireland situation, I think it was interesting to discover that during the worst years of the Troubles there, psychiatric hospitals were closing down! Why? Because many of the lunatics who would usually be locked up were fighting for "the Struggle", on either side.

Damn! That's unbelievable!

Back
Top Bottom