Some "Megachurches" will be closed on Christmas... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
What's a 'Mega-church'?
The kind of church where you walk in and it feels like you're in either a mega-mall or an airport.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
The kind of church where you walk in and it feels like you're in either a mega-mall or an airport.
We don't have them over here.

After the Communist revolution in Europe we burned all the large churches (joke).

Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
What's a 'Mega-church'?
Let's put it this way, the one in Grapevine, TX has a fast food restaurant in it.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
What's a 'Mega-church'?
A huge-ass church (thousands of members) with the biggest ugliest building you can imagine, hardly the type of architecture that inspires reverence....usually non- or inter-denomination....and you don't know anyone sitting within a 50-foot radius of where you're sitting in church....and you have to read a PowerPoint presentation to get anything out of the sermon.....

I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of a 'Christmas' since most lake a proper theology to being with.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

How would I define a mega-church? Let's just say it's a church that buys a hugeass sports department store, puts some stained glass windows on, props a big cross up on top, and calls it a house of worship.

Well that's how they built the one a few miles from here, anyway....
Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

That's weird. I was always under the impression that Christmas Eve/Day are the busiest days of the year at Church. I know at our Church, people who don't go to mass at all the rest of the year still show up on Christmas. I can't imagine it would be emptied out on that day.

I go to Midnight Mass. Nothing quite like it.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
That's weird. I was always under the impression that Christmas Eve/Day are the busiest days of the year at Church. I know at our Church, people who don't go to mass at all the rest of the year still show up on Christmas. I can't imagine it would be emptied out on that day.
It is for us too. For every family gone over Christmas, another family brings their entire extended family to our church. Besides Thanksgiving, Christmas Day is probably the most popular service. Most of our parking lot gets double-parked.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:39 PM
Hey Financeguy, you can come to the McChurch if you want, I hear Uncle Ronnie does a mean line in special sauces.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

A huge-ass church (thousands of members) with the biggest ugliest building you can imagine, hardly the type of architecture that inspires reverence....usually non- or inter-denomination....and you don't know anyone sitting within a 50-foot radius of where you're sitting in church....and you have to read a PowerPoint presentation to get anything out of the sermon.....

I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of a 'Christmas' since most lake a proper theology to being with.
So not only do mega-churches have incorrect theology, their buildings are a snub to God, people don't know each other, and a PowerPoint presentation is the only means to learn?

Wow. Have you actually been a member of one of these churches, short term or long term? It's one thing to criticise something you've actually experienced, another thing to throw stones. I'm disappointed.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
What's a 'Mega-church'?
Churches with over 5000 members usually earn this tag.

My church's congregation is about 4000 members, so it doesn't qualify for the label.

With such a large congregation, and the usual holiday multiplier (C&E Christians), these churches will hold multiple Christmas Eve services to accomodate the crowds (ours will have 4).

We will also hold a Christmas day service, but I would have no problem sticking to the 4 Christmas Eve services. Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.

I would hate to see the suggestion of "proper Christians" hold Christmas day services, but I guess it is inevitable.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Most Catholic Churches have multiple masses on Sundays all year long in addition to mass every day of the week. The church I go to has a Christmas Eve mass at 8 pm (for the kiddies), Midnight Mass, then on Christmas day at 7 am, 9 am, 11 am. That's how busy it gets. But even during regular Sundays, they have the 3 masses.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

A very dangerous statement.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.
Indeed. It's interesting to see the scathing criticism from those who have never actually had to run a church service, let alone one that has to accommodate thousands of attendees.

And before you try to assume, I think they should hold service on Christmas day. But I can understand why they are not.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Hey Financeguy, you can come to the McChurch if you want, I hear Uncle Ronnie does a mean line in special sauces.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:

With such a large congregation, and the usual holiday multiplier (C&E Christians), these churches will hold multiple Christmas Eve services to accomodate the crowds (ours will have 4).

We will also hold a Christmas day service, but I would have no problem sticking to the 4 Christmas Eve services. Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.
Yes, but this is what they do. Many mega churches, will have different staff doing different services from the Eve and the Sunday.

Quote:

I would hate to see the suggestion of "proper Christians" hold Christmas day services, but I guess it is inevitable.
But this is what many of them are doing the other 364 days of the year. Shouldn't we be able to call out their hypocricy? We're looking at what esentially is the birth of their religion and they are closing? Yet it's ok for them to bitch the whole month how secular schools aren't allowing Christmas parties? It's ridiculous.