Some "Megachurches" will be closed on Christmas... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
What's a 'Mega-church'?
The kind of church where you walk in and it feels like you're in either a mega-mall or an airport.
__________________

__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
The kind of church where you walk in and it feels like you're in either a mega-mall or an airport.
We don't have them over here.

After the Communist revolution in Europe we burned all the large churches (joke).
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
What's a 'Mega-church'?
Let's put it this way, the one in Grapevine, TX has a fast food restaurant in it.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
What's a 'Mega-church'?
A huge-ass church (thousands of members) with the biggest ugliest building you can imagine, hardly the type of architecture that inspires reverence....usually non- or inter-denomination....and you don't know anyone sitting within a 50-foot radius of where you're sitting in church....and you have to read a PowerPoint presentation to get anything out of the sermon.....

I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of a 'Christmas' since most lake a proper theology to being with.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 04:39 AM
How would I define a mega-church? Let's just say it's a church that buys a hugeass sports department store, puts some stained glass windows on, props a big cross up on top, and calls it a house of worship.

Well that's how they built the one a few miles from here, anyway....
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 04:39 AM
That's weird. I was always under the impression that Christmas Eve/Day are the busiest days of the year at Church. I know at our Church, people who don't go to mass at all the rest of the year still show up on Christmas. I can't imagine it would be emptied out on that day.

I go to Midnight Mass. Nothing quite like it.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
That's weird. I was always under the impression that Christmas Eve/Day are the busiest days of the year at Church. I know at our Church, people who don't go to mass at all the rest of the year still show up on Christmas. I can't imagine it would be emptied out on that day.
It is for us too. For every family gone over Christmas, another family brings their entire extended family to our church. Besides Thanksgiving, Christmas Day is probably the most popular service. Most of our parking lot gets double-parked.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 07:39 PM
Hey Financeguy, you can come to the McChurch if you want, I hear Uncle Ronnie does a mean line in special sauces.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #24
Refugee
 
stammer476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,058
Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic


A huge-ass church (thousands of members) with the biggest ugliest building you can imagine, hardly the type of architecture that inspires reverence....usually non- or inter-denomination....and you don't know anyone sitting within a 50-foot radius of where you're sitting in church....and you have to read a PowerPoint presentation to get anything out of the sermon.....

I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of a 'Christmas' since most lake a proper theology to being with.
So not only do mega-churches have incorrect theology, their buildings are a snub to God, people don't know each other, and a PowerPoint presentation is the only means to learn?

Wow. Have you actually been a member of one of these churches, short term or long term? It's one thing to criticise something you've actually experienced, another thing to throw stones. I'm disappointed.
__________________
stammer476 is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
What's a 'Mega-church'?
Churches with over 5000 members usually earn this tag.

My church's congregation is about 4000 members, so it doesn't qualify for the label.


With such a large congregation, and the usual holiday multiplier (C&E Christians), these churches will hold multiple Christmas Eve services to accomodate the crowds (ours will have 4).

We will also hold a Christmas day service, but I would have no problem sticking to the 4 Christmas Eve services. Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.

I would hate to see the suggestion of "proper Christians" hold Christmas day services, but I guess it is inevitable.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Most Catholic Churches have multiple masses on Sundays all year long in addition to mass every day of the week. The church I go to has a Christmas Eve mass at 8 pm (for the kiddies), Midnight Mass, then on Christmas day at 7 am, 9 am, 11 am. That's how busy it gets. But even during regular Sundays, they have the 3 masses.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of a 'Christmas' since most lake a proper theology to being with.
A very dangerous statement.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #28
Refugee
 
stammer476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,058
Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.
Indeed. It's interesting to see the scathing criticism from those who have never actually had to run a church service, let alone one that has to accommodate thousands of attendees.

And before you try to assume, I think they should hold service on Christmas day. But I can understand why they are not.
__________________
stammer476 is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
MissVelvetDress_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Posts: 25,776
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Hey Financeguy, you can come to the McChurch if you want, I hear Uncle Ronnie does a mean line in special sauces.
__________________
MissVelvetDress_75 is offline  
Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


With such a large congregation, and the usual holiday multiplier (C&E Christians), these churches will hold multiple Christmas Eve services to accomodate the crowds (ours will have 4).

We will also hold a Christmas day service, but I would have no problem sticking to the 4 Christmas Eve services. Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.
Yes, but this is what they do. Many mega churches, will have different staff doing different services from the Eve and the Sunday.


Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I would hate to see the suggestion of "proper Christians" hold Christmas day services, but I guess it is inevitable.
But this is what many of them are doing the other 364 days of the year. Shouldn't we be able to call out their hypocricy? We're looking at what esentially is the birth of their religion and they are closing? Yet it's ok for them to bitch the whole month how secular schools aren't allowing Christmas parties? It's ridiculous.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com