Setlist Party..err, I mean Debate Party - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife

Nope, am I missing out?
Neither has he.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:55 AM
I can't even tell you how proud it makes me feel as an American to look up at that stage and see a woman and an African-American man, one of whom will be a viable and likely next president of our country. I thought I'd see the day at some point in my life, but to see it right now, and especially in my first election is incredible.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
I can't even tell you how proud it makes me feel as an American to look up at that stage and see a woman and an African-American man, one of whom will be a viable and likely next president of our country. I thought I'd see the day at some point in my life, but to see it right now, and especially in my first election is incredible.
I completely agree. It really tells you something about our country.

(It's my first election too, makes me feel amazing to be a part of history like this.)
Old 01-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife

I completely agree. It really tells you something about our country.

(It's my first election too, makes me feel amazing to be a part of history like this.)
You're right. The outcome of this election is imperative to the future of our country in every major area. I really pray that our peers (I'm 19, I'm assuming you're around the same age?) recognize the gravity of this situation and get involved in every way possible.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #51
Refugee

Local Time: 02:55 PM
Quote:
Although I am at times irritated at the lack of progressive ideas within the democrat party, I couldn't be more proud (at this moment) of the party with these two candidates.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I found it rather strange that Obama never once uttered the words FIRED UP AND READY TO GO!

Apparently there's more to him than just slogans. . .
Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Delighted with both of them.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
It's far from my first election as a voter. But my thought at the end of this debate is "damn they should hug each other".
I actually feel a great sense of hope that great changes can happen.
Please don't burst my bubbble.. It's been a looong time coming.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Celebrities I saw: Steven Spielberg, America Ferrara, Stevie Wonder, Gary Shandling, Rob Reiner, Bradley Whitford, Fran Drescher,...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #56
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:55 AM
I thought it was a great debate. Pretty even, too, though I feel Obama clearly was the stronger of the two when talking about the war.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
I thought it was a great debate. Pretty even, too, though I feel Obama clearly was the stronger of the two when talking about the war.
I agree.

Although I do think Hillary still sounds more together when talking about healthcare than Obama does. So I'd call it even.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

I agree as well. I thought Clinton was a bit better at the beginning, but then Obama was stronger regarding the war.

An actual intelligent debate. Who would've thought?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:35 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

You're right. The outcome of this election is imperative to the future of our country in every major area. I really pray that our peers (I'm 19, I'm assuming you're around the same age?) recognize the gravity of this situation and get involved in every way possible.
I know, there are definitely some people I know who are very involved in politics, in both parties, and lots of others who couldn't care less. Though I would like everyone to be involved, some of the ones who couldn't care less aren't really missed in the process. (Don't take that the wrong way, I'm kind of crabby at my stupid neighbors.)

(I'm 18, BTW)

EDIT: Side note-Obama broke his goal of 250,000 contributors in the month of January tonight as well.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well, I finally found what I was looking for in the debate--something that's been lacking in most of the discussion of the relative merits of the two so far--where they differ on the substantive issues. I found it absolutely fasicanating. At points, I found myself wishing--wow, I wish they could BOTH be president.

I would highlight the key differences I picked up in terms of more or less conservative:

Obama has a more conservative health care plan (it's not mandatory), Hillary's is more liberal.

Hillary is more conservative on the issues of immigration and foreign policy.

I think both did well in the debate. . .if I had to choose a winner I'd probably have to say Obama-- but only on the strength of their stances on the war. Obama's consistent opposition to the war (and the rather convenient fact that he wasn't ABLE to vote for or against it in the Senate) was much easier for him to defend than for her to explain why she voted to authorize the use of force. What Obama says on the war really resonates with me, personally, since I also felt the war was a bad idea, bad strategy etc from the very beginning.

the more cynical side of me thinks that Clinton (and a lot of the Democrats) weren't so enthused about the war either but voted yes anyway because they didn't want to be painted as unpatriotic and soft by Republican opponents later. In short, I think they sold out. Also cynically, I wonder if Obama might not have sold out too had he been in the position to do so. I would hope not but I have doubts.

On the whole, I got the sense that both candidates were playing to the nation tonight--thinking beyond the primaries, and figuring a lot of people are going to be watching tonight--independents, moderate Republicans etc and they're thinking is "we want to make sure that we BOTH look good to them." As one CNN commentator pointed out, they'll save the harsher attacks for the campaigning in the states over the next few days--but for the debate, I think they were already looking ahead to when one of the two will be the Democratic nominee.