Schools close in Singapore and HK over mysterious worldwide flu virus - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2003, 12:53 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:33 PM
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/features/sars.html

All very worrying. Wherever you are, stay safe.

Old 04-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Due to the fact that SARS has been seen in Toronto, people from my firm have started to stop going to the job site there in fear.

Also - I just heard of one construction worker who is being checked out for it....

scary stuff...

Old 04-03-2003, 11:03 PM   #18
MacPhisto's serving wench

The death toll is now 7 people in Ontario. There are 2500 to 3000 people in quarintine in York Region (area north of Toronto) alone. An entire high school is under quarintine because students eat in the hospital cafeteria (directly across the street from their school).

Why has vancouver, an area closer to China, Singapore, etc, not hada as many cases as Toronto? I wonder...both have International airports, both accept many tourists. I find it odd.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:10 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

The_Sweetest_Thing, are your classes canceled?

I have had 2 classes canceled this week (one of the profs is in quarantine), and half my lab as well, since we're no longer allowed to work with blood products.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:28 AM   #20
MacPhisto's serving wench

ani,

we just had a class cancelled today (prof quarantine), and possibly next week. It all depends on how long the hospitals call theri quarantine for. If it lasts past Monday, I'll also end up missing a tutorial, a lab, and possibly other classes as well.

The thing that's sort of ridiculous is that I'm good friends with a girl who works in one of the hospitals (research ass't). She hasn't 'formally' been told to stay home, so she's been attending all her classes. I have just as good a chance of contracting SARS from her and other researchers as I do from my prof

Rumour has it that if ONE student gets SARS all exams will be cancelled...that's not actually true, is it?
Old 04-05-2003, 04:28 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:33 PM
http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/200304050019817.php

1st SARS-caused death in Malaysia. In my hometown. Sigh, worrying. Worst thing is, the bleeding government, as always, is trying to withhold information about it, just like China did! I imagine there's quite a number of people who have SARS symptoms and are walking around freely... without our knowledge.

Edit: May I add, how angry this makes me; that my govt places their authority and reputation over its citizens' health and safety. This is the first official death but perhaps there have been more - only to be silenced by the govt in order to downplay the gravity of the situation. Who in their right minds would do that? My govt, of course! Cos they are so fucking stupid!

foray
Old 04-05-2003, 06:45 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

stay safe, foray.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:50 AM   #23
New Yorker

*hugs foray*

This is my 8th day at home... with nothing to do because all the schools are closed until 22nd...

And you know what? there's a man in Hong kong who is suspected to have SARS, but when the officials said 'you better go the the hospital,' he refused to go and locked himself inside his flat! I don't know what he was thinking, but i can sure that is a selfish idoit.

I've never found the news so annoying, but now what's on the news are either SARS or the war. Hate the news.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:47 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:33 PM
Does locking himself in mean that he didn't want to infect others on the way to the hospital?

foray
Old 04-12-2003, 08:15 AM   #25
New Yorker

I don't think so... The newspaper said he didn't think he has SARS so it wasn't neccessary for him to go to the hospital.