Russia-France, Reasons they dont want to go to War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
uhh diamond....you do realize that those twp pictures you posted are the same thing right? not two different things.

Dont blame hillarys husband....for the shortcomings of the first administration...if I was clinton I would have refused to clean up reagans and bush sr's mess.

Also clinton threatened to bomb the nuclear reacot if n korea activated it....where was bush when they took those seals off????

littestar-

yes
yes Clinton made a lot of threats esp if they sounded good.

And re Bush and their procedure-

one
step
at a
time while we simutaneously hunt out terrioists..:up::)

DB9

Last edited:
dimaond..the N koreans didn't start that reactor while clinton was preisdent...I guess they had more respect for him than they do for bush....not an uncommon situation among the world.

Arun V:

I don't think it's the respect, North Korea might have the idea that it's useless to wait until they get invaded because of the new preemptive military doctrine of G.W.B. anyway, so they try to build as many A-Bombs as they can to be able to defend G.W.B's preemptive defense in North Korea?

Klaus

Klaus said:
Arun V:

I don't think it's the respect, North Korea might have the idea that it's useless to wait until they get invaded because of the new preemptive military doctrine of G.W.B. anyway, so they try to build as many A-Bombs as they can to be able to defend G.W.B's preemptive defense in North Korea?

Klaus

1.)...a bombs won't revent an invasion because they do not assure destruction of anything but japan and S korea....N korea would still be levelled.

2.) bush's invasion of iraq wouldn't be preemptive...it would be a the result of years of thwarting UN resolutions...this whole idea of a "preemptive doctrine" is overblown.

3.)we haven't invaded N korea in 50 years.....what makes them think they are even worth bothering with.

4.) let's face it the United states feels threatened by arab extremists...NOT communists right now...and the fact that a rogue arab nation has nukes is scary to the US after 9/11/

5.)you don't think it's respect???...I believe clinton commanded much more support in the international community than bush. And in fact the North koreans respected clinton..becausehe respected them

and the soveriegnity of other nations.

Klaus....this is my question to you...is there anything about america you don't seem to dislike???...just name me a few things.

any policy america holds that you like?

Last edited:
Arun V said:
dimaond..the N koreans didn't start that reactor while clinton was preisdent...I guess they had more respect for him than they do for bush....not an uncommon situation among the world.
yep.
looks like u got it figured out:|

Clinton was so keen..:|
Clinton so in tune w/himself:|
Clinton so in tune w his personal relationships:|
Clinton was grand.:|
Clinton reading them pulse polls .... living for the moment. :|
Clinton seeking instant gratification.. the man of the hour :|
Clinton:up:

yeah
yeah..

DB9

Arun V:

1-5 well also i don't agree on all of your views, i guess you're right on some.

More important - do i disslike everything about America?:
I guess you are interested in my view about the United States, neither Southamerica nor Canada ;)

America has a great history, it was one of the important forces with heped to stop Nazi-Germany, it did even save the Germans from their government. They did a great job helping germany to get back on the democratic side of the world. They helped to stop Stalin-USSR expansion.
I loved America when i saw the pictures of the American guy who throw chocolat (tied to little parachutes) out of the window of his plane when flying over berlin while helping the Berlin-Germans not to starve because of the Soviet blockade (Luftbr?cke).

Most American presidents i personally remember did a great job and fixed more in the world than they messed up. I also love the US that they helped Mr. Kohl (which i dissliked more than R.Reagan ;-)) to convince Great Britain and France that a reunited Germany is no danger to them.

I allways loved the visionary side of US politics, which sometimes seemed a little naive from the European point of view (I remember R.Reagan when he said in West Berlin: "Mr. Gorbachov tear this wall down"). This dosn't stop me from seing dangers in this kind of politics however.

The United States were the most important key by founding the United Nations, the key to a long historical period of peace between the big countries.

I'm not attacking the Bush way of politics because i think it's greedy and just for economics, most politics is so i'm glad if it is just economics and not about building a world empire. The way why i attack the Bush politics is because i'm affraid they create lots of Antiamericanism in the world by their way of solving problems. And i'm affraid this will lead to tremendous problems including more anti-western and of course anti-american terrorism.
People like Bin Laden couldn't survive without counterparts like G.W.Bush. Even if the US finds and kills him he has won because he will become the martyrer. (It's like Yasser Arafat needs Ariel Sharon)

I see lots of anti-americanism rising in Europe and i try to do something against it, but of course it isn't easy as long as people like D. Rumsfeld do everything they can do to strengthen anti-american resentiments.

Besides the political things, i love most of the people i met
in the United States, i also love their country it's a beautiful country.

The history of pre US history is verry interesting and i'd love to spend time "researching" it :)

If US emigration wouldn't be such pain in the *** i guess i'd live in the states - however, i enjoy my lifetime tourist visa i have :)

Klaus

Klaus..thanks for clearing that up.

It's good to argue with someone intelligent and who doens't hate the US rather is sad to see us not live up to our own values.

Ich Spreche Deutsch Ein Bischien(sp). Und Deautchland ist eine sehr shoene Land. Ich habe Berlin und frankfurt besucht und ich habe viele Respekt fur Deutschland.

It's been a while since I used my german it's a little rusty....I think i butchered your language......oh well

Ich bin ein berliner!

Thanks for the compliment :blush:

I butcher your language day by day, so it's ok, if you do it a little with my language too :)
No serious, it's pretty good - next time you visit Frankfurt give me a call.

Klaus

p.s. i forgot the most important thing i love about the united states:
the amount of people who are willing to help others

My parents are thinking of cancelling a planned summer trip to France. They are paranoid about anti-American sentiment there. They have nothing against the French and oppose the war and Bush, but they are nervous about what the people will think when two Americans get off a plane there. Damn, I wanted to go check out Cluny. Unfortunately I probably can't do this.

Tell them that they?re worrying for the wrong thing. Media is full of sentiments, but when they?ll be in France, they won?t feel AntiAmerican mood, really. I mean, if a french man came to the U.S. I think the people would treat him just as nice, after all, he?s not Chirac and your parents are not Bush.

I?d rather worry about Paris :) There, they?re unfriendly to everyone, they really are, they hate tourists and think Paris is the top of the pop of Europe (all other French people hate the Parisiens too!). And it is very expensive there, too. But nevermind, you know, Paris is just a great city - you simply have to ignore the people :lol:

Last edited:
I never had such bad sexperiences in france well trying to talk french really helps and opens their hearts, don't be too shocked about banners like "merde tourisme" ;)
Ok seriousely.. i hope that the US-American and the European governments don't escalate this racism stuff, because there are too much idiots in the world who believe them :(

Anyway, chances to get killed by car accident are much higher than that anyone there will spit on you because of your nationality.

Klaus

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Tell them that they?re worrying for the wrong thing. Media is full of sentiments, but when they?ll be in France, they won?t feel AntiAmerican mood, really. I mean, if a french man came to the U.S. I think the people would treat him just as nice, after all, he?s not Chirac and your parents are not Bush.

I?d rather worry about Paris :) There, they?re unfriendly to everyone, they really are, they hate tourists and think Paris is the top of the pop of Europe (all other French people hate the Parisiens too!). And it is very expensive there, too. But nevermind, you know, Paris is just a great city - you simply have to ignore the people :lol:

They are planning on going to Provence, not Paris. I've been to Paris, and I went to the Loire valley and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I loved all of that history and stuff. That's why I'd like to check out Cluny and some other places around there. I did find alot of rude people in Paris. You're right, it's a great city, and some of the people are nice but to heck with some of them. I just think right now we are very nervous about the war and all of the ugliness that is going to come out of it.

I loved Paris, I really did. I mostly hung out in the old part of the town, the medieval part, because I'm a medieval history freak. I was walking up a street and I saw a building with a plaque on it. The plaque said "La Sorbonne". I thought, "wow, this school was founded in the Middle Ages and people like St. Thomas Aquinas and Erasmus went here". For someone from a young country like the U.S. it was quite an experience. There's stuff like that all over Paris. I :heart: it!!

verte76 said:

Russian or Ukrainian (yes, they are separate languages, they even have different alphabets)

:huh: Sure they are different but alphabets are the same except for a couple of letters

I can only guess about French and German reasons. As for Russia...
1. At present Russia has NO oil contracts with Iraq. The last company that had ("Lukoil" for West Qurna oil field) was kicked out by SH some two months ago...
2. Indeed Iraq owes us some 8 bln $. This debt is more than 12 years old. It's actually debt not to Russia but to Soviet Union. It's hopeless case. With or without Saddam we'll never get this money back.
3. Why we oppose the war.
- Without UNSC authorisation it's gonna be illegal, illegitimate and illicit aggression on a sovereign country no matter who's its leader. I personally don't care about it but
- Consequences for the region and the existing system of international relations are unpredicatble, likely to be dreadful.
- US will antagonise ALL Arab countries, Muslim extremists will get much more support, anti-americanism will be flourishing from Morocco to Indonesia, another Sep 11 is not far away...
4. I cant understand why US wants this war so badly. I do have some ideas though... Anybody will explain me?

ALEXRUS said:
verte76 said:

Russian or Ukrainian (yes, they are separate languages, they even have different alphabets)

:huh: Sure they are different but alphabets are the same except for a couple of letters

I only found this out when I got confused about Russian and Ukrainian spellings for the name of the city of Kiev. Those two letters in the Ukrainian spelling, Kyiv???

ALEXRUS said:
verte76 said:

3. Why we oppose the war.
- Without UNSC authorisation it's gonna be illegal, illegitimate and illicit aggression on a sovereign country no matter who's its leader. I personally don't care about it but
- Consequences for the region and the existing system of international relations are unpredicatble, likely to be dreadful.
- US will antagonise ALL Arab countries, Muslim extremists will get much more support, anti-americanism will be flourishing from Morocco to Indonesia, another Sep 11 is not far away...
4. I cant understand why US wants this war so badly. I do have some ideas though... Anybody will explain me?

I don't want it, and I'm a U.S. citizen. I'm terrified.

alexrus,

Welcome to Interference.

thank you for sharing your views.

Why we oppose the war.

It is good to have a Russian stating what they believe instead of others speaking for them.

Personally to guy from Arizona.

Some qoutes:
"USA's track record of humanitarism (what's that I wonder), philantropy, good will, personal freedoms". Oh, ye, the best example of that is thousands of innocent people of Hirosima and Nagasaki who died after nuclear bombardment.
"USA makes the world safer". That's why you got Sep 11th.
"Hate us now. Thanks us later". We are grateful to you, guys. We hope that Iraqi people too. Who's next? Kill more, make the world safer, and we'll pray for you.

verte76 said:

I only found this out when I got confused about Russian and Ukrainian spellings for the name of the city of Kiev. Those two letters in the Ukrainian spelling, Kyiv???

Right you are:wave:

deep said:
alexrus,

Welcome to Interference.

thank you for sharing your views.

It is good to have a Russian stating what they believe instead of others speaking for them.

Yes, indeed. Welcome to Interference Alexrus!!

ohhh yippee, a forum all about war, what a great turn...

Well, Im tired of stewing about my thoughts in silent, so out they shall come. I dont wish nor intend to offend anyone, this is just opinion, so take it as such, however thats not to say that some things I say wont be offensive. I add this disclaimer to everything I post in FYM since an unpleasantness, but even then sometimes I still take a royal earful from people who simply dismiss me as wrong and do not even attempt to analyse my ideas but rather to just make attacks. Im not attacking anyone, my opinion is opinion and nothing more, and theres no reason to take offense to it. I fully admit right now that my opinion is not fact, and opinion is wind which can change at any moment, whereas fact is stone and impossible to change, people are often threatened by negative facts, but I do not even make claim to presenting them. If you dont agree, say so, but dont attack. I dont believe Ive said anything aggressive, but if I have, let me know, and I will do my best to explain. I try to look at the bigger picture by building up smaller parts, but as individual peices out of context they make very little sense and are hardly relevant. Also, Ive mentioned in several long and drawn out writings of mine (not all located where they are accessable here mind you) that I do not hate America, I do not hate Americans, and I certainly do not believe that there is any cause for conflict between the US and Canada - However, I have had all but good experiences in this forum, and certainly if I do not clarify up front, someone will attack me as an 'American-hating Canuck', which is simply not true at all. Fact is, some of my closest friends have been, or are, American. Thats besides the point though...

First and foremost, I believe the UN is like the League of Nations and any other widespread attempt to create peace. It doesnt work, and never has, hell, their own laws prevent them from entering unwelcomed into a country without declaring it an act of war. However, where they 'succeed' in keeping the peace is a little bit different - more often than not, theyre used as mercenary/peacekeepers by the governments in the US's favour. Some people may bitch that the US hasnt paid its dues to the UN, the US would say that they have to support their own peacekeepers and that expense alone far outweighs the ''dues" they should be forced to pay like everyone else, but the US is getting away with it. Why? I cannot say for certain, the debt is building, will it be paid or will it be pardoned? Its ignored now simply because the US is the US. They hold 32% of the votes in the UN, world bank, world trade organization, and so forth. However, the largest military power in the world, they are feared by most, simply because they have more than 32% of the world's power. Seemingly infallible, and untouchable. The US can buy and sell everyones asses unless all of the other 6 world powers stand up and say no. It seems that is what is happening, in part, right now. The UN isnt really as much of a farce that I say it is though, its a tool of the western nations to keep from ripping each other apart, as I see it the problem isnt with the rest of the world, its a problem with ourselves.

With that in mind, the current war brewing. Canada has said reluctantly said no (we flat out cannot afford it, and even if we could, war has never been our chosen path), France has said no, Russia has said no. Both France and Russia have stake in the economic game that is being played, and in fact have a better hand than the US right now. However, its a lose-lose game for any of us. You heard Bush's speach, 'with or without the support of the UN, we are removing saddam from power for the good of this world', because, by and large, the US has historically represented the opinion of everyone because they have the power, but backed up most of the time because the rest of the countries agreed. However, old alliances are falling apart it would seem, due to the economic practices that have made us all so successful. The thing with closed systems, such as the peace between the western world, is that they can remain stable for great lengths of time, until acted upon by a force outside the system which upsets the balance. Iraq is that force.

Just ponder for a moment, put France where the US is right now, the US where France is right now, leave alone only each country's capitalistic economic policies: France has just experianced terrorist attacks, their economy is decaying, countries like Iraq and Korea are playing games with them, terrorists are plotting against them, they want military action on a country which only poses an major threat to them and at the same time would provide economic stability and cast all diplomacy to the wind. The threat is their ability to cause an economic power change by favouring a lesser power and causing a major strain on France by raising the price of one key resource to the functioning of the country - essentially squeezing them like a lemon, while someone "inferior" sips the lemonade. So, along comes the US with a chance at cheap oil, a chance to gain a competetive edge in the world economy, to sip that sweet lemonade. They criticize the actions of france, they call france 'warmongers', they proceed of their own accord for their own benefit alone, because such is capitalism. France turns back to them and starts writing on US imports 'purified with bovine blood', changes anything with 'US' in it to 'Freedom' or 'vive la France', try to make the US look like the enemy in order to save face, knowing full well that they are on the short end of the stick, something very dangerous for a country in their position as the world's only superpower.

Now, given that horrendous oversimplification of the events occuring, which side do you despise more for their prospective actions, the US or France?

In reality, the economic ways of the US and France are very similar, whether you want to admit it or not, as are the great majority of western nations. Is the outcry against france simply because they have finally been able to gain a slight advantage to the US and vito them in the UN court, and in the process endangering the lives of all people living in the world? Or is the outcry against france because the potential is there for some of that US infallibility to become lost, and there may be a small shift of power? I believe that the US would put claim in for that contract on cheap Iraqi oil in a heartbeat if they were in France's shoes right now, and that all the French would hate the US for doing so were they in American shoes. Thats just my view of things though.

As for Russia; Russia has in military equipment. However, if memory serves, they have let slip a major oil contract to France but are owed a great deal of money by Iraq. However, it would seem that selling non-WoMD arms to Iraq is ok, past or present, because that hasnt been a focus of any media representation. Makes you wonder though, whether this is about oil or whether its about bringing peace to the world. If it was about bringing peace, someone might actually give a rats ass that the US stands a risk of losing more troops with each peice of equipment Russia sells, or, maybe there is a belief that this will be over in a matter of days and that any weaponry sold really wont come into play against the US's massive and unstoppable army.

Out of sheer curiosity, assume the US puts all its eggs in one basket and sends over 75% of its forces to Iraq, sits them in the persian gulf, sits them in cities surrounding and within Iraq. Say Saddam finishes his little game, uses one of his not-so-alleged WoMD and hits an area containing US carriers, battleships, air bases, and temporary military bases. The US takes a major, but not devestating blow to its forces. Enraged, the US closes in on bagdad and Saddam unleashes unspeakable biological and chemical evil upon the ground troops, contaminating tens of thousands, and spitting in the face of the americans before they say 'hell with this' and bomb the living fuck out of him. Where would that leave the US? How would they propose to deal with N. Korea? China? Or how would they propose to stand up to France and Russia? In the press of a few buttons, the US could go from the largest super power in the world, back to a day that noone alive can even remember, the failure would mean the collapse of the economy, depression, loss of power, and weakness in the face of all those who have felt intruded upon in the UN acts of the past 50 years, who hate the US only because they were the only free power available to act on behalf of the western world. This would mean that all those who the US has protected would rise and take the place of the US, countries like France and Russia. Is that perhaps an unconcious realisation of the Bush government? Hence the ill-will to these countries?

Now, admittedly, that is not a very likely scenario so long as the US keeps their wits about them. But its still possible. Unlikely and terrible, but possible.

To roughly paraphrase Tolkien, 'the future rides on the edge of a knife, faulter just a little and you will fall'.

A long time it took me to say very little, but theres still more to come.

Im opposed to the war, I always have been. War is the failure of diplomacy, and the wars fought by the youth are incited by the old and diluted. The good of the world and the good of the US are not one-in-the-same anymore, the world has shown disapproval, even the American public has shown disapproval, but yet the war proceeds anyway. Diplomacy didnt last nearly the time to make it worthwhile, little has been found as proof of Iraq's actions, but the lack of proof seems to validate the belief that Iraq is hiding something - true though it may be that a war based on this non-proof would be better than widespread death and terror because of wrongly assuming the innocence of Saddam, the problem lies in the very fact that there is no solid evidence to indicate guilt to such a degree that calls for war rather than further diplomacy and inquisition. A war based on non-proof, by our definitions, is not war but rather is murder, how often are men sentanced to death in the US for crimes there is no proof they commited? The lack of evidence must mean that Joe Pocketlint did it, so lets kill him? Appauling in my opinion. Arguing though, that the Iraqi government murders its own people is invalid, Iraq is not the US, Iraq is Iraq, and they are free to govern as they are, agreed with or not, their business is their own, much with all other countries where conflict can be found - but, as usual, the keepers of the peace are ready to interfere and make more enemies, because the ideals of the largest power in the world must be the right ones. Thats what war is all about isnt it? One truth versus another? Which means that the eastern philosophy and the western philosophy will soon come together in the war to end all wars. Finally, I heard something from a friend about the US being 'a nation using war to ensure peace and freedom'. It irritates me that such a twisted thing can be said, either way the Iraqis will be living under an imposed idea that they may or may not agree with, democracy is fine for us but has proven untrustworthy at times in other nations, and whether they are dominated by Saddam, or by a puppet government of American freedom, they still cannot be free until they choose their path for themselves. Ironically, I believe they will be more free now than later, because as it stands, millions of Iraqi civilians could easily take on a limited few thousand of Sadam's loyal, all they lack is the organization - now, Im not one for organizing revolutions, and Im not at all saying that its an easy task, but if they really feel so hard-done by, theyll get rid of saddam themselves. However, once a western instituted government is put into place, they will have no choice in the matter and will be swatted down like flies if they fight back against it. Russia got rid of the monarchy, so did France. The US held two wars determining the leading of their country, one against britain (which, had france fought against the US instead of with them, the colony would have been crushed and remained under british rule), and the civil war of north versus south. Civil war is key to the development of an independant nation, else you can take the long and hard road like canada and attempt to institute a constitution which 11 provinces and 2 territories each with their own distinct cultures must agree on. The US was given their chance to determine their own path, France, Britain, most every western nation - but its denied to all countries since the US came to power because the path of their choosing may conflict in the future with the american way of life. If the support of freedom was there, they would be allowed to choose their own, but the US is just looking out for number one, the US. I value freedom very highly, and consider myself lucky to live in the world where I do, but I would not be pleased if someone walked in and said they were going to change all that whether I liked it or not. I am honoured by the freedom I have, to share a similar system of functional government with so many privileged individuals. However, I would not force my beliefs on anyone, nor do I allow other people's beliefs to be forced upon me without a great deal of care, effort, and thought on the matter - and even then, if I do not like it, I will resist to the last. Part of democracy is good government, fairly appointed leaders, justly ruling over the people, limiting only their freedoms when they would impede the freedoms of others - but as nations, we feel so confident that our way is the best way that we cannot help but impede the freedom of others for better or for worse, and we have yet to feel any major reaction from those who do not accept our principles, but it is all yet to come. These are dangerous times, and I am terrified of the future. I place no blame on anyone for what has happened, past or present, because through mistakes we find the path to virtue, however, we cannot be foolish and let past mistakes be made again, which they will be at the pace and path we are proceeding down. Again, though, that is my judgement only. I am not attempting to coerce anyone into my view, but as everyone else is free to discuss, I am also free to have a voice, and I very much do appologize if something I have said rubs someone the wrong way as I know it will if they do not keep an open mind, I would be more than happy to discuss it though, privately of course.

Well, thats that... horribly misguided I guess, but ultimately, I would prefer any peaceful resolution to the downward spiral that will come with war.

Back
Top Bottom