President Bush on tribal sovereignity - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2004, 01:44 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:50 AM
So what is the significance of tribal sovereignty?

Old 08-31-2004, 01:53 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Why do liberals mock Bush as being an incompetent moron yet then turn around and accuse him of being a coniving trickster who duped everyone into going along with his scheme of a war in Iraq?

Is he stupid or smart?

Old 08-31-2004, 02:12 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Who ever claimed Bush was a genius? You don't need to be brilliant to mislead people. Salesmen are proof of that.

As to what the signifigance of tribal sovereignity is, I have no idea. It's a good thing I'm not the President of the United States addressing Native American jounalists.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:03 PM   #19
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Like I said it goes beyond his speech abilities. He did not know what it meant.
indeed

his inability to deliver a proper speech can't serve as an excuse for his lack of knowledge on certain topics shouldn
the man just isn't the brightest bulb to shine its light upon this earth

the question on which topics he should at least be knowledgable is a different one
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-31-2004, 06:13 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Bush is no fool, I say again that a good leader has to be able to lead a team of smart people and not let his ego get in the way of that. They also should be able to make a tough decision and stick by it.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:31 PM   #21
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Don't forget, the leader should be smart enough to know which direction is best to lead his people to.
And for that he has to have the ability to understand the problems of this world
Old 08-31-2004, 06:40 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

And know all talking points for all issues at every moment...
Old 08-31-2004, 07:01 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Bush is no fool, I say again that a good leader has to be able to lead a team of smart people
Or in Bush's case, let the team of smart people lead him. We keep seeing what happens when he doesn't have a cheat sheet to read from.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I know this doesn't fit here, but to save starting another thread.. yet another "Bushism". Maybe we should have a thread just for those, but the forum might explode

POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. (Reuters) - President Bush offered an unexpected reason on Monday for cracking down on frivolous medical lawsuits: "Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

The Republican president, long known for verbal and grammatical lapses, included the anecdote about obstetrician gynecologists in his stump speech attacking Democratic presidential rival Sen. John Kerry and his running mate, Sen. John Edwards, a former trial lawyer.

At a rally of cheering supporters in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, Bush made his usual pitch for limiting "frivolous lawsuits" that he said drive up the cost of health care and run doctors out of business.

But then he added, "We've got an issue in America. Too many good docs are getting out of business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

Old 09-07-2004, 07:51 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

What about the rights of loving OB-GYN's????
Old 09-07-2004, 08:57 AM   #26
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
So what is the significance of tribal sovereignty?
This question would make a good thread on it's own. In short, it is insular rule. The significance of it is bigger than I for one care to write out at 1.30am on a Wednesday morning But throw issues like equality, rights, history (literally), culture and power into it, and we have a start.

Or as Mr W says, the relationship....between....sovereign entities

/end answering rhetorical questions.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #27
New Yorker

But what is tribal sovereignty referring too? I heard that clip a while back. I thought it was funny, the clip I heard didn't have context. So I was wondering about it.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:21 AM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:50 PM
I'd assume in this case it is referring to the native American Indians. There's a whole bunch of recognised tribes who have an 'arrangement' with the US govt, and allow self law etc. With accepting and recognising sovereignty, the US is opening it's arms to co-existance and respect for how they as a people want to run things. An American will be able to elaborate much more on this, I am really only speaking in general terms. They might even correct me.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Angela Harlem said it better than Bush did. The question remains, if Angela knew what the question was about, and I knew what the question was about, then why didn't the president?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
And know all talking points for all issues at every moment...
Come on, it was a very general question and Bush could have given a very general answer just like you or I could. The point is, he just doesn't know what to say. The guy just can't think on his feet.

Mind you, I bet Cheney has been preparing him on what Bush's opinion should be in case it comes up during the debates.