Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
Just about every single person I know that makes a six figure income works their butt off for it and in my opinion has earned ever penny. I live in a very wealthy area (Seattle is overpriced enough to compete with San Francisco--seriously, and not even the high median income is enough to cover our cost of living), so I know a lot of them. Many of them work 70+ hour work weeks doing very complicated work that most of us would never be capable of doing.
I certainly can believe that . To make that kind of money I can only imagine the sorts of hours people have to put in, I don't know how they manage it. I hope I didn't imply anything bad in my post and I'm sorry if I did. Just saying in many people's eyes that is a LOT of money. It'd be worth all the hard work, though, I'm sure.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 AM
I think part of the problem with the 99%/1% split is that it sounds good as a slogan but in fact is a bit deceiving.

There are different ways of defining the 1%. Most commonly a line is drawn somewhere around $500K annual income, although some people look at total wealth which is probably a better indicator.

However, the beef is really not with the 1% but with the 0.1%. Those who are making $500K/year certainly sound wealthy to most of us, but remember that these are people who are still working, and probably working very hard. It's only when your annual earnings reach into the millions that you can probably bet that the person is making money off interest or investments rather than from collecting a salary.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #273
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:42 AM
My issue with income inequality mainly just comes down to the fact that if you are making 250,000 a year after tax, you will never be in a situation where you have to decide between buying essential medication and feeding yourself and family at the end of the month. Lifestyle inflation with increasing income is a personal choice.

If that isn't an argument against a flat tax then what is?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #274
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131
My issue with income inequality mainly just comes down to the fact that if you are making 250,000 a year after tax, you will never be in a situation where you have to decide between buying essential medication and feeding yourself and family at the end of the month. Lifestyle inflation with increasing income is a personal choice.

If that isn't an argument against a flat tax then what is?
Regarding a flat tax, and taxes for the rich in general, I can see a situation where developed countries begin to compete with each other for the tax money of high earners by cutting tax rates for them in a sort of "race to the bottom" to a Nash equilibrium that really doesn't benefit the world economy at large in the end. We're not there yet, and there are obviously steps happening to prevent it (see: François Hollande, though I'm not at all a fan of his, and I think a 75% income tax on the rich is silly at best), but I can see it as eventually being a possibility.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #275
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it's a long read, but damn, Barry was really, really fucking cool back in the day ... and his waxings on TS Eliot are just the kind of thing that make liberal's hearts to pitter-patter.
Truly, honestly - this is pathetic. Alongside this, the birth truthers' theories look like rational analysis.

You're clearly a very intelligent person but I fear that your time working in the media has dumbed down your brain and led you to posting this sentimental mush.

He is a glib lawyer from Chicago with a nice turn of speech that has done deals with Wall Street to get elected and looks like doing so again because of the incredibly weak opposition. That's where it begins and ends, to me.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

Jesus, relax. It was meant to be somewhat funny.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

Humor is not allowed here

Did anyone see The Avengers this weekend? God I love that Robert Downey Jr.- he must ad lib most of his lines. Good for him for getting sober and changing his life.

Plus he's just super hot.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #278
ONE
love, blood, life

I find it absolutely laughable that whenever even mild criticisms of the Sun King Obama are expressed, the lefties just change the subject and descend into triviality.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #279
Forum Moderator

Call out weak arguments all you like, but vulgar attacks on another poster's character will not be tolerated.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #280
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Call out weak arguments all you like, but vulgar attacks on another poster's character will not be tolerated.
That's not true, Yollland. Attacks on right wing posters character are permitted all the time.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #281
Forum Moderator

Like what you'd just posted? No. And you've benefited as much as anybody from the generally light-handed moderating on this forum. If you're convinced a post violates the forum rules you can always report it. This thread is not the place to discuss this.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
This thread is not the place to discuss this.
It is now.

How come Iron Horse got banned, for a start?

How come BVS has never gotten banned, for seconds?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #283
45:33

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It is now.

BVS just gets turned on by arguing, he isn't a blatant troll.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #284
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It is now.

Because we enjoy stoking your fantasies of a grand conspiracy to purge FYM of all independent and substantive thought, which you alone have the moral greatness to challenge.

As if I'd discuss past disciplinary actions against other posters publically! Or privately for that matter.

I won't warn you again.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #285
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Because we enjoy stoking your fantasies of a grand conspiracy to purge FYM of all independent and substantive thought, which you alone have the moral greatness to challenge.

As if I'd discuss past disciplinary actions against other posters publically! Or privately for that matter.

I won't warn you again.
Interesting.

Its very interesting that you react in that way.