Obama General Discussion, vol. 3 - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #841
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 PM
I don't think We Take Care Of Our Own is really any kind of pro Obama song, if he thinks it is or his advisers do. I think some of the lyrics can be interpreted as being disappointed in Obama, and as for we take care of our own..well I think the whole message of the song is that we don't and it's meant to be irony. Odd, sort of seems like an Obama Reagan Born In The USA moment.

politico.com

OFFICIAL OBAMA 2012 PLAYLIST FOR CROWD EVENTS (rallies, ropelines, etc.), to be released today: “Different People” (No Doubt) … “Got to Get You Into My Life” (Earth, Wind & Fire) … “Green Onions” (Booker T & The MG’s) … “I Got You” (Wilco) … “Keep on Pushing” (The Impressions) … “Keep Reachin' Up” (Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators) … “Love You I Do?” (Jennifer Hudson) … “No Nostalgia” (AgesAndAges) … “Raise Up” (Ledisi) … “Stand Up” (Sugarland) … “This” (Darius Rucker) … “We Used To Wait” (Arcade Fire) … “You've Got the Love” (Florence and the Machine” … “Your Smiling Face” (James Taylor) …

... “Roll with the Change” (REO Speedwagon) … “Everyday America” (Sugarland?) … “Learn to Live” (Darius Rucker) … “Let’s Stay Together” (Al Green) … “Mr. Blue Sky” (Electric Light Orchestra) … “My Town” (Montgomery Gentry) … “The Best Thing about Me Is You” (Ricky Martin, featuring Joss Stone) … “You are the Best Thing” (Ray Lamontagne) … “Keep Marchin'” (Raphael Saadiq) … “Tonight's The Kind of Night” (Noah and the Whale) … “We Take Care of Our Own” (Bruce Springsteen) … “Keep Me In Mind” (Zac Brown Band) … “The Weight” Aretha Franklin … “Even Better Than The Real Thing” (U2) … “Home” (Dierks Bentley).

Old 02-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #842
Blue Crack Supplier

incisive:

Quote:
Why are we still arguing about contraception in 2012? The Catholic bishops are free to make as many incendiary comments as they want, and they have, but that doesn’t mean that pundits should assume there’s a constituency beyond a bunch of celibate men and likely Republican voters that is actually going to be swayed by this. New polling on the topic shows, for example, that “a 53 percent majority of Catholic voters … favor the benefit, including fully 62 percent of Catholics who identify themselves as independents.”

It’s also been striking how much the conversation on the right and in many mainstream media forums has been dominated by men arguing about how much of a right they have to deny access to contraception, the responsibility for which, in practice, still overwhelmingly falls on women. Of course, contraception access should also matter to men (particularly if they’re men who have sex with women). But the male-dominated nature of this discussion has been different from the one we saw last week, where all over social media, male allies were visibly pushing back at the Komen foundation and speaking up for Planned Parenthood. It’s been more along the lines of Mark Halperin dutifully listening to Axelrod talk about the millions of women who would benefit from this policy and responding, in a rare moment of mildly apologetic self-awareness, ”I appreciate the substantive answer, I really do …” and asking whether the administration’s regard for public health considerations made for bad politics.

Last week, we heard so many stories, and rightfully so, about real women helped by Planned Parenthood or affected by breast cancer. This week’s discussions, driven in part by Mitt Romney trying to gain on the issue and the bishops ramping up their rhetoric, have been mostly about political gain and what a purportedly abstinent hierarchy of men think.

Instead, we should be talking about real women affected by this policy, like the unnamed Georgetown law student with polycystic ovarian syndrome featured in the Times, who lost an ovary after falling prey to the “pro-life” insurance compromises at her institution. Or why the millions of women who get their insurance through a Catholic institution and use birth control should be subject to different rules than their fellow citizens.

One Catholic bishop insisted, with no sense of irony whatsoever, that “people of faith cannot be made second-class citizens.” Apparently women are another story.

Will Obama compromise on birth control? - Contraception - Salon.com

Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #843
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I don't think We Take Care Of Our Own is really any kind of pro Obama song, if he thinks it is or his advisers do. I think some of the lyrics can be interpreted as being disappointed in Obama, and as for we take care of our own..well I think the whole message of the song is that we don't and it's meant to be irony. Odd, sort of seems like an Obama Reagan Born In The USA moment.
And while it's great to see a U2 song that isn't Beautiful Day/City of Blinding Lights... I'm guessing they didn't quite pick out the meaning of Even Better.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #844
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
ugh. why does he do this? he just looks weak to people like me, and the people he's reaching out to already hate him because he's a marxist kenyan stalinist foreigner.
Not necessarily re: the latter; this was probably in part a play to regain the support of the Catholic Health Association (which, perhaps not coincidentally, is headed by a nun not a priest and has a predominantly female staff), which was an important ally in passing healthcare reform in the first place and was always going to be more receptive to a compromise than the Bishops Conference. The CHA indicated satisfaction with the compromise; not clear yet whether the Bishops Conference will accept it, and they're the ones who fanned this into a big story in the first place, partly by disseminating attacks on the policy to be read and distributed at the parish level.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #845
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
I'm guessing they didn't quite pick out the meaning of Even Better.
oh, obama knows. they turned down his idea of leading into it with some barry white, so it makes less sense.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #846
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
“You are the Best Thing” (Ray Lamontagne)
I love that song.

As for the contraception thing-I don't care what religious organizations have to say on this issue. I just really think people need to quit trying to tell women how to handle their sex lives.

Note to society at large: We're going to have sex. We're going to do so for reasons other than having children. We have every right to have access to contraception. We value safe sex. It's not that complicated. If you're a sane, reasonable person, you're capable of understanding and accepting that.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #847
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah Even Better is a weird one too. Don't think anyone researches those songs.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #848
War Child

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Hey guys. Speaking of U2 and EBTTRT, I just learned something about the Democratic National Convention in North Carolina later this year.

According to Wikipedia, Obama will deliver his acceptance speech at the Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

Quote:
The closing night of the 2012 Democratic National Convention on September 6, 2012, in which President Barack Obama is expected to deliver his acceptance speech for the Democratic Party presidential nomination.
Bank of America Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I swear- What's with Obama and his giving DNC speeches in big stadiums?

Since when did politicians have such U2-sized drawing power?

Why can't Romney/Gingrich/Santorum deliver the GOP presidential nomination acceptance speech at Raymond James Stadium when the RNC hits Tampa this summer?

It's only fair.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #849
Blue Crack Supplier

i don't think the GOP believes it's nominee will fill a stadium, in the way that Obama can fill a stadium.

they don't want it to look like the embarrassing 3rd leg of the PopMart Tour.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #850
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
they don't want it to look like the embarrassing 3rd leg of the PopMart Tour.
The only embarassing thing about the 3rd leg of the PopMart Tour was that the American fans were too culturally conservative to get it. It was the era of grunge, faded jeans and lumberjack shirts, and heavy, meaningful guitars and anything outside of that was deemed arty and pretentious. Well, screw that, I like arty and pretentious. Pop music is supposed to be arty and pretentious and escapist and even a bit, well, "gay".
Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #851
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
The only embarassing thing about the 3rd leg of the PopMart Tour was that the American fans were too culturally conservative to get it. It was the era of grunge, faded jeans and lumberjack shirts, and heavy, meaningful guitars and anything outside of that was deemed arty and pretentious.
Uhhhh, late 1997 was the era of grunge? I'm not so sure about that.

Cobain had been dead for three and a half years. Pearl Jam wasn't on the radio anymore, Soundgarden had broken up, etc. Grunge was well over by the end of '97.

I'm pretty sure the Spice Girls were the most talked about thing in music in 1997 in America.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #852
Blue Crack Addict

That's really neither here nor there, though.

Go Obama.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #853
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Uhhhh, late 1997 was the era of grunge? I'm not so sure about that.

Cobain had been dead for three and a half years. Pearl Jam wasn't on the radio anymore, Soundgarden had broken up, etc. Grunge was well over by the end of '97.

I'm pretty sure the Spice Girls were the most talked about thing in music in 1997 in America.
Well, ok, but I had the impression post-grunge was still pretty big in the US even in 1997. Spice Girls was the top selling album but there was also the likes of Bush, No Doubt, and Shania Twain. Granted none of these are precisely grunge, but still deeply conservative, rockist, MOR music.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #854
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Well, ok, but I had the impression post-grunge was still pretty big in the US even in 1997. Spice Girls was the top selling album but there was also the likes of Bush, No Doubt, and Shania Twain. Granted none of these are precisely grunge, but still deeply conservative, rockist, MOR music.
1997? You must be joking...American music was largely dominated by the resurgence of manufactured groups of pop stars designed to appeal to the teenie-boppers.

I think the boy band / girl group craze was firmly there in 1997, supplemented by euro dance pop singles from one-hit wonders from across the pond.

Grunge as a large movement was gone by the late 90s, left to fill the alternative radio playlists until the god-awful rap rock bands came in the early 2000s.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #855
War Child

Quote:
i don't think the GOP believes it's nominee will fill a stadium, in the way that Obama can fill a stadium.
What makes you say that? What does Obama have about him that the top GOP leaders don't have?

Surely, Ron Paul has enough of that "rock star aura" to fill up Raymond James Stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
1997? You must be joking...American music was largely dominated by the resurgence of manufactured groups of pop stars designed to appeal to the teenie-boppers.

I think the boy band / girl group craze was firmly there in 1997, supplemented by euro dance pop singles from one-hit wonders from across the pond.
That is very true. However, those manufactured teen idols catered strictly to teenyboppers.

U2, of course, have never appealed to that type of demographic. Even when ATYCLB came out, those teens/tweens never cared for the band. (I remember watching TRL back in 2001, and the masses of 12-year-old girls didn't even react to the Walk On video.)

Even during 360, the young people of today that listen to Katy Perry don't care for U2. In terms of MTV and Fuse, the band is more irrelevant now then ever. Yet, 360 broke records.

So there were other reasons as to why PopMart wasn't so hot while 360 was a massive success across the board. To this day, I don't know what those reasons were.