Obama General Discussion, vol. 3 - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #751
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Which was the one who said we should take some of that war money we've been spending since 2003 and use it to pay down the debt?
That's Washington math.

Not spending money in the future only decreases the projected future debt.

Try telling the bank you are paying off a $50,000 student debt simply by not buying that new Porsche you were looking at.

And besides, he still wants to spend half of that "peace dividend" taking care of his union buddies rebuilding America.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #752
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:28 PM
yes, that peace dividend would go a lot further if we could do away with 'child labor' laws and give all people the 'right to work'

"doing nothing" , should not be a right (unless you are willing to have nothing and get nothing )

Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #753
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #754
Blue Crack Addict

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer traded words with President Obama after she greeted him at a Phoenix airport Wednesday.

Brewer and Obama "spoke intensely for a few minutes" after he landed at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, according to a White House pool report. At one point, the GOP governor shook her finger at the president.

"He was a little disturbed about my book," Brewer told a reporter after the incident, referring to her political memoir, "Scorpions for Breakfast." In the book, Brewer depicted Obama as "patronizing" during an earlier meeting.

"I said to him that I have all the respect in the world for the office of the president," Brewer said. "The book is what the book is. I asked him if he read the book. He said he read the excerpt. So."

Brewer said Obama told her "that he didn't feel I had treated him cordially."

"I said I was sorry he felt that way but I didn't get my sentence finished," Brewer said. "Anyway, we're glad he's here. I'll regroup."

The last time Obama met with Brewer was June 2010, when the Arizona governor visited the Oval Office for a private, 30-minute encounter the White House called a "good meeting." At the time, Brewer said the meeting was "very cordial," but in her book she said Obama had been "condescending."

During Wednesday's encounter, Brewer handed Obama a handwritten letter asking him to sit down with her to discuss the "Arizona comeback."

"I thought we probably would've talked about the things that were important to him and important to me, helping one another," Brewer said of a potential meeting with the president. "Our country is upside down. Arizona was upside down. But we have turned it around. I know again that he loves this country and I love this country."
Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #755
Blue Crack Addict

Is that the crazy woman who hates Mexicans?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #756
Blue Crack Supplier

yes. she foments hysteria.

but O shouldn't have stooped to her level. bad on him.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #757
Blue Crack Addict

What, by mentioning he didn't like an excerpt from her book?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #758
Blue Crack Addict

Whatever he said to her at least he didn't put a finger in her face. She feels he has been patronizing and condescending to her, but it's still very strange to see a governor do that to a President in public.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #759
Blue Crack Addict

yahoo.com

WASHINGTON -- High school dropouts, do not fear. The Republican Party will protect you from Barack Obama's efforts to keep you at your desk.

At his third State of the Union Address Tuesday night, the president challenged all states to ban children from dropping out of high school before they turn 18. "Tonight," Obama bellowed, "I am proposing that every state--every state--requires that all students stay in high school until they graduate or turn 18."

Obama wasn't proposing a new federal program, but his use of the bully pulpit to tell local jurisdictions how to run their school districts was enough to make some Republicans, already sensitive to the increasing role of the federal government in education over the past few years, bristle.

"That's none of his business!" said Utah Republican Sen. Mike Lee while speaking to reporters after the speech. "He's not a principal! He's not a public school teacher! He's not a governor, he's not a mayor. These are matters for state and local government."

Standing in Statuary Hall outside the House chamber, Lee, a senator whose rise to prominence was propelled by the tea party, went on to say that there was plenty in Obama's speech that made him want to scream, but he held his tongue.

"I did not want to be Joe Wilson!" Lee said. Meanwhile, Joe Wilson, who shouted "You Lie!" during a presidential address in 2009, was standing directly behind him, about three feet away.

Regulations on school attendance varies from state to state. Twenty states currently meet Obama's standards by restricting students from dropping out before they turn 18-years-old. Some states allow students to drop out at 16 with parental permission and others require an agreement from the school to let them go. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 8.1 percent of students nationwide dropped out of high school in 2009.

Other Republicans in the crowded hall, fed up with Obama's calls for a more intrusive federal system, lambasted the president for even making the suggestion.

"What are you gonna do, give them the electric chair?" asked Arizona Republican Trent Franks. "It should be handled on the parental level."

Phil Gingrey, a Republican from Georgia, agreed, saying students should have the right to leave if they want to.

"To require them to stay in high school to age 18, those who have absolutely no intention of getting an education or value an education are disrupting the other kids in class. I think it's just a government misguided run amok quote honestly," Gingrey said.

There was, however, one Republican willing to stand up for Obama's call: High school dropout Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Oversight Committee.

Issa, who left high school when he was 17-years-old to join the Army, took Obama's call to mean that the federal government should look into ways to encourage states to raise their age limits on dropping out, and he's fully behind it.

"I agree with him," Issa said. "The truth is that maintaining students from dropping out until they're 18, and every possible inducement, rather than getting rid of them at the first possible moment because they become a 'pest,' because perhaps they're not performing well. That could make a real difference in the level of education people get. Do I promote it? Yes."

"Leave no child behind?" he said. "That has a familiar ring to me as a Republican."
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #760
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Fucking idiots, their hatred is making them completely blind... especially in Arizona.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #761
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
What, by mentioning he didn't like an excerpt from her book?

yes. she's many orders of intelligence beneath him.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #762
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
"What are you gonna do, give them the electric chair?" asked Arizona Republican Trent Franks. "It should be handled on the parental level."
Yeah, 'cause parents never screw up or ignore their kids or anything.

Quote:
Phil Gingrey, a Republican from Georgia, agreed, saying students should have the right to leave if they want to.
Education is for losers. Clearly all these Republican politicians have done just fine without it.

Quote:
"To require them to stay in high school to age 18, those who have absolutely no intention of getting an education or value an education are disrupting the other kids in class. I think it's just a government misguided run amok quote honestly," Gingrey said.
You can't get that kind of logic in a fancy school setting, after all.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #763
Blue Crack Supplier

seems like she won the imagery from his visit. what the GOP base wants -- as seen with the erection-inducing Gingrichian bloodlust "let 'em die!" anger at the debates -- is for someone to tell off that uppity "boy."

and that's what the photo shows. Brewer wins.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #764
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
is for someone to tell off that uppity "boy."

and that's what the photo shows. Brewer wins.
People who feel that way, that's just sad

I think the photo shows that she's just lacking in tact, and I'd say class too. I would assume she knew it could be photographed, since it was at the airport and even with security there are big enough lenses. Maybe that's what she wanted.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #765
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:28 PM
he probably made a pass at her

(there's a lot going on in that picture, if people want to look at it objectively)