Obama General Discussion, vol. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You all heard about Obamas latest plan to expand Big Government, enlarging the Dept of Commere and what have you. . .

Oh wait. . .it was the other way around?

My bad. . .

Keystone pipeline permit is denied by Obama administration

or

How to turn purple states red with the one press release.

I am wondering what the split in jobs is like in international petrochemical engineering projects like this proposed one. Canadian engineers from TransCanada Corp. working with local US construction companies in each state? Or would it mostly be skilled labour shipped in from north of the border. Not entirely sure.

Obama Denies Keystone XL Permit, Will Let TransCanada Refile - The Washington Post

Keystone pipeline permit is denied by Obama administration

or

How to turn purple states red with the one press release.

Am I crazy or was it some Republican governor of Nebraska who was the first to raise a giant stink over this pipeline??

POTUS has a very good reason to like Mickey Mouse. President Obama is visiting Disney World in Florida Thursday, announcing that he plans to expand and accelerate visa-application processing for countries like Brazil, India, and China, saying that “America is open for business.” This will make it easier for international travelers to head to the states--and more money for the nation to get "Americans back to work." He also opened his speech like this: “It’s always nice to meet someone who has bigger ears than me".

Am I crazy or was it some Republican governor of Nebraska who was the first to raise a giant stink over this pipeline??

The governor is now fully on board after a rerouting of one section in his state. The only ones against the pipeline now are the

girl,hug,kiss,nature,tree,lauren-b872b00e125967fa8effd6d9f5fe7c55_h.jpg

and our fundraiser-in-chief in the White House.

I asked this earlier - but don't think there was a response - what do you reckon are the chances Biden won't be the VP come the election? There's a bit of a (media) push for a change there, and as far as I can tell, no commitment from Team Obama. Few interesting possibilities, no?

Which media pushers are you talking about? That's just not done, really. Spiro Agnew resigned, but that was after being charged with felony tax evasion and accepting bribes. Is there evidence that Biden wants to resign?

You see the odd article here and there - 'opinion' - that the Obama campaign would be better served with Biden out. They're not saying he sucks, just that it would be a good re-fresher, or the ticket could be better. And no suggestion that Biden will resign, but with Clinton saying she's likely out of her role at the end of this term, and a reported rumour that Biden wouldn't mind that role, you could sort of see some kind of chair shuffling being at least possible.

Sorry, I misinterpreted what "come the election" implied.

I haven't seen anything about Hillary saying she'd resign?

Mmmmkay, well that's totally embarrassing that I didn't know that. :lol: Must've been traveling or something at the time...I knew there'd been a few columnists who wistfully speculated about a Hillary-Biden switch (and were roundly ridiculed for it); doesn't sound like that's quite what you've got in mind though.

There have been rumors that Biden had long coveted the SoS position, yes. It'd still be a very unusual thing to do though, and as such would risk making the Administration look weak(er).

I think they've got nothing to worry about unless Romney is the nominee.

In that case, I think the removal of Geithner and/or Holder becomes much more likely than a Biden/Clinton swap.

By Bryan Bender, Boston Globe Staff

WASHINGTON -- In hockey it might be termed a save. In politics, it is more like trying to save face.

When Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas skipped a White House ceremony today to honor his championship team, it was seen as an affront to President Obama, whose politics Thomas has made quite clear are not his own.

The criticism he swiftly received for what many in the sports and political worlds saw as petty publicity-seeking seemingly scored.

When Thomas, the Stanley Cup MVP, finally weighed in himself tonight, the avowed conservative and right-wing talk radio enthusiast said he was seeking to make a statement about his unhappiness with official Washington as a whole, not snub the president in particular.

“I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People,” Thomas, only one of two Americans on the Stanley Cup team, said. “This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.”

It'd still be a very unusual thing to do though, and as such would risk making the Administration look weak(er).

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about 'the swap' and I know it's unusual, but was thinking that the opportunity to do it in a smooth 'positive' way was there perhaps more than ever before. Hillary said she wasn't up for a 2nd term aaaages ago, so it's not reflex, she is (almost - apart from the nuts) universally believed to have done a great job, so not pushed, and has also said she's got no higher political ambitions, so it's not about that, either her angling for 2016 or Dems positioning. Biden has long wanted that role, he's not the junior partner in the Pres-VP relationship but is surely right at the end of his career, he's a foreign policy guy, it would look like reward and everyone knows that in reality it's a better role than VP. It would or could all look very clean and neat and genuine, leaving Obama with a very interesting vacancy to fill, and probably a few very interesting ways he could fill it. Still - I'm sure it's not going to happen.

If you listened to both speeches; who emphasized the sense urgency in dealing with entitlements and a federal budget that spends more than 1.5 trillion dollars more than it takes in every year for as far as the eye can see...

and who didn't?

Which was the one who said we should take some of that war money we've been spending since 2003 and use it to pay down the debt?

If you listened to both speeches; who emphasized the sense urgency in dealing with entitlements and a federal budget that spends more than 1.5 trillion dollars more than it takes in every year for as far as the eye can see...

and who didn't?

Does the man in charge of Bush's budgets have an credibility on this?

I thought he seemed sane and sober. Totally would have dropped out by now had he run. The GOP is all about bloodlust. Maybe a crushing defeat this year will help cooler heads like his prevail in 2016.

I skimmed the transcripts, that's about it. Pretty standard fourth-year SOTU, which is to say high on diddly-squat initiatives and low on big vision (hey, worked for Clinton, right?). I definitely would've wished to hear more about deficit reduction but frankly didn't expect to (coattails). Daniels' speech didn't seem particularly ambitious, but it was a decent basic sketch of Republican economic philosophy and read gracious and sincere overall, as is generally his character. :shrug: Not a deeply depressing night, not an inspiring one either.

Last edited:
I thought he seemed sane and sober. Totally would have dropped out by now had he run. The GOP is all about bloodlust. Maybe a crushing defeat this year will help cooler heads like his prevail in 2016.

In the words of Nate Silver, "Daniels could unite the Jon Huntsman and Tim Pawlenty coalitions into an unstoppable 7% of the Republican vote."

what the GOP needs to realize is that only their base thinks Obama is a dangerous Kenyan Muslim Communist.

fully 75% of the population likely looks at him and thinks, "nice guy, trying hard."

and then they come to a variety of conclusions, some of which is that he isn't doing a good job. but the fanatical hatred of him you hear in the primary is utterly detached from reality, as Daniels's milquetoast response -- intended for a mainstream audience ... notice how many kind words he had for Obama at the beginning of the speech -- demonstrated.

as a point of fact: about 30% of the South Carolina voting electorate is African-American. 99% of voters in the GOP primary were white.

the enormous tack to the middle once we have a nominee is going to be quite a thing to see.

also, i think O nicely laid out his case for reelection:

1. we created 3m jobs in the past 22 months
2. the Iraq War is over, just like i promised (and why i beat HRC)
3. i killed Osama Bin Laden

those are pretty powerful arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom