MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 AM   #301
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
One storm could end up costing almost as much as two wars. Although estimates of Hurricane Katrina's staggering toll on the treasury are highly imprecise, costs are certain to climb to $200 billion in the coming weeks. The final accounting could approach the more than $300 billion spent in four years to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

This photo shows a posted drawing by Jaleel, a nine-year-old refugee from New Orleans who survived Hurricane Katrina and now lives in the Astrodome in Houston, Texas Monday, Sept. 12, 2005. A number of children have taken part in Katrina Kids Project that encourages youngsters to draw their experience of the killer storm.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:34 AM   #303
Blue Crack Addict

Time Magazine has some incredible photo essays, many of the photos are extremely difficult to look at but we have to I think

http://www.time.com/time/?cnn=yes
Old 09-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #304
Refugee

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Moving pictures. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/12/D8CITNFG0.html

"About 8,000 people with HIV and AIDS who were displaced by Hurricane

Katrina now face the massive challenge of trying to manage their disease without their doctors, their clinics and their support systems. "
Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #306
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 AM
I get Time magazine but haven't seen this week's issue yet. It should come today, then I'll look at the pix. I agree, it's important to look at them to see what's going on.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #307
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/12/D8CITNFG0.html

"About 8,000 people with HIV and AIDS who were displaced by Hurricane

Katrina now face the massive challenge of trying to manage their disease without their doctors, their clinics and their support systems. "
Oh, geez...that's so awful. Haven't those people suffered enough? Good god...*Shakes head*.

Hopefully they'll be able to find a way to get the treatment they need.

And that picture that little boy drew....

Quote:
Originally posted by therulz
I just wanted to add a personal note to those that are helping with the relief efforts to the hurricaine victims.

Bless you.

My little sister, her husband and three daughters lost everything.
Her mother (my dad's second wife) lost everything. They were right on the edge of the gulf.
They all got out safely before it hit their homes.
They are all safe and in communities that have banded together to take care of the people that were displaced by the storm. Since I am so far away I am grateful to those that were there to help my family.
I'm so sorry to hear of your family's losses . But that's wonderful that they're all safe and sound and are sheltered somewhere, that there were people around to give them a hand .

All the people who are helping out in this tragedy are godsends .

Angela
Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #308
New Yorker

September 9, 2005, 12 p.m.: Officials Shooting Dogs in Louisiana—Feds Must Hear from You Today!

In the latest and most graphic display of our government's abandonment of animal-handling guidelines in disasters that were created with PETA's help years ago, some law enforcement agencies are now shooting dogs left stranded in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana.

Revolting video footage posted on the Web site of the Dallas Morning News shows officers shooting dogs. At least one of their victims survived the gunshots and was apparently left to die a slow, agonizing death amid debris from the storm.

Of course, shooting is not an approved, reasonable, or reliable method of animal control. In fact, The 2000 Report of the AVMA [American Veterinary Medical Association] Panel on Euthanasia—the veterinary medical authority on euthanasia—states, "[G]unshot should not be used for routine euthanasia of animals in animal control situations." This dangerous method often fails to achieve instantaneous unconsciousness; animals can be injured by initial gunshots and suffer tremendously before dying, as seems to be happening in St. Bernard Parish. Gunshot is also categorized as an inhumane method of killing in The Humane Society of the United States' "General Statement Regarding Euthanasia Methods for Dogs and Cats."

This horror for animals, which is but the latest of many to be seen in Katrina's wake, underscores the urgent need for you to call on those in charge, today, to end immediately their callous policies toward animals suffering and to make the plight of animals affected by these disasters a part of planned investigations and hearings.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #309
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
September 9, 2005, 12 p.m.: Officials Shooting Dogs in Louisiana—Feds Must Hear from You Today!

In the latest and most graphic display of our government's abandonment of animal-handling guidelines in disasters that were created with PETA's help years ago, some law enforcement agencies are now shooting dogs left stranded in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana.

Again, I agree with your disgust and outrage over what is reported in this article, but what do the "Feds" have to do with it? This is apparently being done by law enforcement agencies in St. Bernard Parish. Are the "Feds" being implicated because we aren't supposed to blame "the locals"?

~U2Alabama
Old 09-14-2005, 02:53 AM   #310
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Bush hates puppies.....
Old 09-14-2005, 06:53 AM   #311
ONE
love, blood, life

If the local was a bush family member and not a female governor....the response would be different.

If the local was a Bush family member and not a black mayor....

The response would be different.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:59 AM   #312
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Pooooooooooooooooooooooooor Bush

People treat him so unfair
I am so sorry for this noble man
He´s the biggest victim of Katrina
and its not right they treat him like this, no, no

Old 09-15-2005, 09:23 AM   #313
Blue Crack Addict

An ajar coffin from Greenwood Cemetery lies along railroad tracks in New Orleans on Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2005. Floodwaters have wreaked havoc with cemeteries in the area because deceased are interred above ground.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:33 AM   #314
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Yeesh....

Angela
Old 09-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:17 PM
I wonder if that practice will continue?