MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kept hoping against hope that when I woke up this morning there would have been some sort of miracle. I was talking to a friend about it and we were wondering how you'd get through something like that - what possessions would you have to save, how helpless you would feel

I wish w/ all the technology we have they could find a way to stop hurricanes

It's not looking good for us now. That storm is tearing up Baton Rouge, the Mobile airport is closed, I might end up being lucky to hold on to my knitting but I don't know. It's supposed to go through northern Mississippi and Alabama tomorrow. It's windy and rainy right now. I'm a nervous wreck. Please pray for us!

Last edited:
"Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues again" (Bob Dylan)

hopefully you guys will pull through ok.

BATON ROUGE, La. Louisiana's attorney general says he'll punish price gouging after Katrina blows through.

Charles Foti says already his office has received nearly two dozen calls from people who say they were overcharged for gasoline or a hotel room. He's promising to aggressively prosecute the offenders.

Other complaints involve stores selling generators or canned goods at twice the normal price.

:down:

Gah, I feel ill for the people who had so little to begin with, people who were uninsured or underinsured and will be left not only with nothing, but with nothing to help them start over again... :sad:

And people are price-gouging. Nice. :tsk: It would seriously kill my faith in humanity if I didn't also read stories about massive Red Cross mobilizations, churches and schools all over Louisiana opening their doors...

MrsSpringsteen said:
Charles Foti says already his office has received nearly two dozen calls from people who say they were overcharged for gasoline or a hotel room. He's promising to aggressively prosecute the offenders.

Other complaints involve stores selling generators or canned goods at twice the normal price.

:tsk: :down:...

Some people, I swear to god...argh...

Was watching the Weather Channel earlier...seriously, I swear, one of those reporters is gonna get themselves killed someday reporting on one of these storms! Showed a couple of guys right out in the thick of things, barely able to stand, out in the open, was hoping no debris would be flying by (thankfully, none did). They're brave, and I appreciate their dedication to letting people know what's going on, but for god's sake, if it's really bad, stay indoors!

Also heard about the tornadoes in southern Mississippi...man. *Shakes head*

Still thinking of everyone in that area, just continue to hunker down and stay as safe as possible.

I saw the images in TV -- scaring!
I was there last week and re-viewing Key West with all the damages made me so sad!

Hope everyone in the area can be safe now!

N.O. may be past the worst, if levees are not breached further. Hopefully I have not spoken too soon.

Shepard Smith is such an a hole, I love that that man said that to him :applaud:

SHEPARD SMITH: You’re live on FOX News Channel, what are you doing?

MAN: Walking my dogs.

SMITH: Why are you still here? I’m just curious.

MAN: None of your fucking business.

SMITH: Oh that was a good answer, wasn’t it? That was live on international television. Thanks so much for that. You know we apologize.

[snip]

SMITH: "I'm watching two dogs drink out of a glass of ice water, and it's none of my business why they are still here."

video clip

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/08/28.html#a4676

dome.jpg

Ugly, ugly, we're already looking like Hurricane Ivan, and the f:censored:g storm is still in southern Mississippi. It's looking really bad for us. Don't mean to rub in a pity trip but this is not fun, dancing in the shadow of a Category 5 storm.

I second that, about stupidity in the media. Or should I say, stupidity of PEOPLE. I was watching Good Morning America earlier this morning, around 11:30 maybe 15-20 mins after the worst of the storm was leaving NE, and they showed some kid out doing his version of extreme sports sliding around on a dmaged roof on his duff, and being buffeted by the wind. WAS HE NUTS????:scratch: 20 years ago, that kid was me, a REALLLY stupid 14 yr old. I was staying at my aunt's place at Point Pleasant on the Jersey Shore, and since I had grown up swimming in some rough weather on Keuka Lake in central NY State which gets some nasty sudden storms for a freshwater lake, and in Jersey, I could even handle some high tide, so I thought I could handle what I thought was a tiny undertow. The storm had blown out to sea the night before and there were some pretty good waves, but I didn;t think they were that bad. I thought I could handle anything. So I ran out for a swim before the parents woke up.Well lo and behold, I didn't even have to be deeper than my knees when a huge wave suddenly blew up from nowhere and in 3 blinks of an eye I was swept away. The next thing I knew, I was reduced to sack of jelly on the beach maybe 50 feet from the place I had been walking, from the waterline. I couldn't move so much as a finger and watching another wave bearing down on me. Luckily suddenly my stepfather came running up at that moment and dragged me away.

As to the media...they are REALLY starting to piss me off. I got the sense that they were somewhat disppointed that 60% of NE wasn't leveled like they were predicitng last night. What, if NE didn't become a moonscape and the Superdome didn't wash away, it wasn't "that bad'??? Andrew may have destroyed Miami and caused "high-profile" damage, but let's remember that this one was in terms of size SO MUCH BIGGER> there's aMUCH larger area affected. And don;t forget a lot of people in Moblile, Baton Rouge, etc weren't expecting to get the direct hit and prob didn't evacuate. And Mobile got the 20-ft waves. We won't know how much the damamge can be measured until we tally up deaths, etc. It'll be a week before we know the true extent. Right now the first pics are coming in and they're concentrating on the big stuff like the Superdome and the French Quarter. But the aftermath could prove just as bad, BUT it won't get the media saturation like it SHOULD.

Prayers to all of you still down there. It's gonna be a grim September.

Last edited:
PS. Just reading this whole thread, and Dread, Verte, etc, REALLY feel for ya down there. Dread, your folks were maybe in the Superdome? God, the sound of 10,000 people screaming when 1) the first hole appeared in the roof and 2) when the power went out afterwards. And then the fire alarms go off. Geez, I HOPE they weren't in there.

It looks like the storm is down to a Cat 1 now, with winds of 95 mph.

We took a direct hit from a Category 2 storm (Hurricane Juan) here in Halifax two years ago in late September. I remember we were without power for 3 days (some people were missing power for 3 weeks), and the downtown was basically shut down for a week from all the debris everywhere. Trees had fallen all over the place and the Army was called in to help with the cleanup. Point Pleasant Park (which is the largest park in the city, basically a forest with hiking trails near downtown) was virtually flattened. It used to be thick, dense forest surrounded on 3 sides by water. Now, you can stand on the Northwest Arm water's edge and see clear through to the Halifax Harbour. 90% deforested...

...and that's from a low Category 2 hurricane. I can't even fathom a Category 4 or a 5 and how scary that must be.

Stay safe, southerners. :yikes:

Our county is now in danger of outages and all sorts of problems. This reminds me of Hurricane Ivan even though it's dropped to a Cat 1 storm. It's blowing heavy wind and raining. Serious, serious situation in Jefferson County.

Back
Top Bottom