MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2005, 05:09 PM   #136
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:04 PM
ack. My bad for bringing politics into this. I made a politics Katrina thread to debate congress and the president and all that and I think there is a specific presidential response thread. So let's try to be our civil best and keep this to the humanitarian efforts and prayers for those affected. I would recommend any political responses to what's been posted here be made in other threads.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:38 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:04 PM

I haven't heard a report tonight, but as of this time last night, 98,000 customers in the Birmingham area were still without power, so verte may still be without.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
The New Orleans Major says the different disaster organizations aren't coordinating well. Communications between them are difficult because of different radio frequencies and stuff. I thought this issue was fixed after 9-11.

I can't figure out why military copters aren't being utilized. They could at least haul in porta pots to the thousands stranded at the superdome.
I've seen images of most branches' helicopters taking part in rescue missions in the area.

Coast Guard:

Navy or Marines, I'm not sure:

Georgia Army National Guard Chinooks heading out for relief efforts:

Air Force:

In addition, 4 Naval ships are headed to the area carrying water and other supplies. One of the ships is a lfoating hospital.

Regarding the agencies working together and communicating, it is important to remember that most communications systems are down, and most agencies are delayed getting into the most devestated areas due to the flooded conditions around the lakes and rivers and the subsequent washout of roads into those areas. Boats and helicopters are about the only way in to some of the areas. More help is on the way. Despite Mobile and Dauphin Island still being flooded, our state (Alabama) began to send small relief groups into Mississippi and Louisiana yesterday. The town next to mine sent 34 firefighters to New Orleans today.

~U2Alabama

Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 PM   #138
New Yorker

A "renegade" bus showed up at the Astrodome. Sounds like someone in NOLA stole a school bus and drove it to Houston even though they weren't from the Superdome and then tried to lie to get into the Astrodome [which is only taking Superdome refugees]. The reporter asked a Red Cross official if that should be consider shameless or desperate and the official said "Both." Think about how desperate you would have to get to lose any shame of lying to someone to get a cot and some water. Makes you think of your Thai restaurant dinner, Brita water filter and 300 thread count sheets alot differently. Make sure you enjoy every bite you eat.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:07 AM   #139
Refugee

Local Time: 05:04 AM
and all those toxic floodwaters.. they'll have to pump them into the gulf of mexico, causeing contamination in the area for years to come. its a real shame.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:15 AM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I realize that these people have been through hell, but what in the world would cause them to do this:

NEW ORLEANS --The evacuation of the Superdome was suspended Thursday after shots were fired at a military helicopter, an ambulance official overseeing the operation said. No immediate injuries were reported.

We have suspended operations until they gain control of the Superdome," said Richard Zeuschlag, head of Acadian Ambulance, which was handling the evacuation of sick and injured people from the Superdome.

He said that military would not fly out of the Superdome either because of the gunfire and that the National Guard told him that it was sending 100 military police officers to gain control.

"That's not enough," Zeuschlag. "We need a thousand."

He said that shots were fired at a military helicopter over the Superdome before daybreak.

He also said that during the night, when a medical evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner, the pilot reported that 100 people were on the landing pad, and some of them had guns.

"He was frightened and would not land," Zeuschlag.

He said medics were calling him and crying for help because they were so scared of people with guns at the Superdome.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:02 AM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I am completely baffled as to why people would shoot at rescuers. Honestly, it seems that there is the potential for a serious descent into lawlessness and chaos akin to what one sees in a war. I've been an advocate for tighter gun control and this certainly doesn't make me feel like loosening that position anytime soon.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #142
War Child

My thoughts and prayers are with the people along the Gulf Coast.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #143
New Yorker

I just read that FEMA is suspending rescue efforts because of the danger.

Too little too late
Old 09-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #144
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I am completely baffled as to why people would shoot at rescuers. Honestly, it seems that there is the potential for a serious descent into lawlessness and chaos akin to what one sees in a war. I've been an advocate for tighter gun control and this certainly doesn't make me feel like loosening that position anytime soon.
I have a different viewpoint on this. I would definitely *not* want to be trapped in the city without a gun. A good example of responsible citizen gun-ownership can actually be clearly demonstrated in NO right now. Many gun-toting patriots, especially in the early aftermath, began coordinating and forming patrols, protecting not only fellow citizens, but critical places as well. It's just that, now, with the situation getting desperately worse, and the national guard still not in control of the city, these fine men and women are being overwhelmed. God speed to them and everyone.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #145
Blue Crack Distributor

NEW YORK - Fats Domino was missing Thursday, days after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, said his longtime agent, Al Embry.

Embry told The Associated Press that he hadn't been able to contact Domino since talking to him Sunday evening by phone.

The 77-year-old R&B legend, whose real name is Antoine Domino, told Embry that he planned to stay at his New Orleans house with his wife, Rosemary, and their daughter.

"I hope somebody turns him up, but as of right now, we haven't got anybody that knows where he's at," said Embry, who has worked with Domino for 28 years. "I would think he might be safe because somebody said he was on top of the balcony."

Checquoline Davis, Domino's niece, posted a message on Craigslist.com Thursday pleading for information. Davis wrote that Domino, his wife, their children and grandchildren "didn't get out" of the second floor.

Domino, who has rarely appeared in public in recent years, has a home in the 9th ward, a low-lying area of the flooded city.

Getting information on possible missing persons has been nearly impossible as phone lines for hospitals and police haven't been working.

Domino has sold more than 110 million records in his long career, including the legendary singles "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame."

His 1950 recording of "The Fat Man" is sometimes called the first real rock 'n' roll record. He was among the first honorees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #146
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elfyx

I have a different viewpoint on this. I would definitely *not* want to be trapped in the city without a gun. A good example of responsible citizen gun-ownership can actually be clearly demonstrated in NO right now. Many gun-toting patriots, especially in the early aftermath, began coordinating and forming patrols, protecting not only fellow citizens, but critical places as well. It's just that, now, with the situation getting desperately worse, and the national guard still not in control of the city, these fine men and women are being overwhelmed. God speed to them and everyone.
And the people shooting at rescue helicopters provide a good example of why mass ownership of firearms is problematic. Personally I would rather see a situation in which the appropriate authorities are able to take charge of the situation without the threat of violence, rather than one in which individual civilians are able to take charge because they happen to be in possession of a weapon.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

And the people shooting at rescue helicopters provide a good example of why mass ownership of firearms is problematic. Personally I would rather see a situation in which the appropriate authorities are able to take charge of the situation without the threat of violence, rather than one in which individual civilians are able to take charge because they happen to be in possession of a weapon.

I agree with you that we should have tight laws over gun control, but I think this may be a situation where people have stolen the guns and are subsequently using them. I'm sure that there is vigilante justice going on with people that own legit guns, but I don't see a law abiding gun owner shooting at military helicopters.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by elfyx
Many gun-toting patriots, especially in the early aftermath, began coordinating and forming patrols, protecting not only fellow citizens, but critical places as well. It's just that, now, with the situation getting desperately worse, and the national guard still not in control of the city, these fine men and women are being overwhelmed. God speed to them and everyone.

gun toting patriots?

my understanding is that it's precisely the presence of so many guns that's making it impossible for the National Guard and FEMA to gain control of the city. they cannot have their rescue workers gunned down.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
A "renegade" bus showed up at the Astrodome. Sounds like someone in NOLA stole a school bus and drove it to Houston even though they weren't from the Superdome and then tried to lie to get into the Astrodome [which is only taking Superdome refugees]. The reporter asked a Red Cross official if that should be consider shameless or desperate and the official said "Both." Think about how desperate you would have to get to lose any shame of lying to someone to get a cot and some water. Makes you think of your Thai restaurant dinner, Brita water filter and 300 thread count sheets alot differently. Make sure you enjoy every bite you eat.
Great post . That's happened to me-I've sat there and saw the footage, and I looked around at my apartment building and town, neither of which were even slightly flooded, and I looked at my family, who were all with me and accounted for, and I definitely considered myself lucky, got a whole new appreciation for the way things are in my life.

That's weird about Fats Domino missing. Apparently there's also a couple of NFL football players who are originally from Lousiana who have family members who are missing, too . I hope they find all these people.

And the stories of the shootings and the fighting and whatnot disturb me to no end . My mom told me a story this morning she'd heard on the radio about a guy in Mississippi who shot and killed his sister. Know what it was over? A bag of ICE.

This is insane. Scary and insane. I just can't fathom...
Old 09-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:04 AM
I survived the storm. I'm safe. I'm at work, and a bit frazzled and overwhelmed, but I'm not the only one. We all are. I've seen some of the scenes from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast and they're horrific. New Orleans as we know it doesn't look like it exists any longer. Will they have to take it off of the map?