Mass poisoning of homeless dogs and cats because of Olympics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You ever been around Greece? Strays all over infected with disease, I honestly cant blame them for taking drastic measures, it is no worse than what China will be doing to "clean up" for their Olympics.

There is no excuse for the suffering inflicted on these animals. If they must kill them they could at least take them to the pound and put them to sleep. Animals suffer very much from poisoning .I had a dog die that way. No creature should ever die that way.

They could have at least taken them out in the country and dumped them in the forest. They could survive because they are used to being stray. This is EVIL. :sad:

China is so evil, I bet they do this too, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did it to homeless humans also.

Humane euthanization :up:

Poisoning :down: :no:

I once read a novel where one of the characters committed suicide with rat poison (she was young and didn't know how it worked) and even though the story is fiction, it was still awful!

while murders do not take place, olympic cities of the recent past have actively blocked homeless individuals, and their trademarks, from 'public' view. i believe atlanta is one city where this caused quite a civil/human rights concern.

Athens says pre-Olympic dog roundup is not inhumane

By Associated Press, 8/5/2004 22:34

ATHENS, Greece (AP) Thousands of stray dogs being rounded up before the Olympics are not in danger of being killed or subjected to harsh treatment, Greek officials said Thursday, amid international concern.

''We are very sensitive about this issue,'' Deputy Agriculture Minister Alexandros Kontos said. ''I am at the disposal of anyone who wants to inspect the conditions under which these animals are being kept.''

Animal rights groups say as many 15,000 dogs could be removed from Athens streets before the Aug. 13-29 Olympics. The government has placed the stray population at less than 5,000.

Stray dogs are a familiar site in Greece and for decades have been allowed to roam free.

The government and Olympic organizers say they are opposed to euthanizing street animals.

On Tuesday, the London-based World Society for the Protection of Animals called on Greek officials to assure strays will not be mistreated.

WSPA spokeswoman Susan Sherwin said the government and the International Olympic Committee hadn't responded to the organization's request for details about the mass collection.

''It's highly dubious that 15,000 dogs are going to be rounded up and kept somewhere and will be released after the Olympics,'' Sherwin told The Associated Press, speaking by telephone from Framingham, Mass.

Maybe it's much ado about nothing.

C ya!

Marty

It's bad PR, what do you expect them to say, yes we did it? The link I posted has eyewitness accounts from people actually in Greece who said they saw the poisoned dogs die before their eyes. They say trucks come by to pick up bodies every day. The site is really from Greece, you can click on the links and see it is an organization based over there, and the writer's English is not very good (though their heart and their cause is!)

Last edited:
this is so sad. Sounds to me like Greece needs to set up some form of free spaying and neutering to get the problem under control.

I hope if they are rounding up the dogs they are cleaning them up, trying to find homes for the ones that can be tamed and humaely putting the ones that can't be adopted to sleep.

LoveTown said:
this is so sad. Sounds to me like Greece needs to set up some form of free spaying and neutering to get the problem under control.

I hope if they are rounding up the dogs they are cleaning them up, trying to find homes for the ones that can be tamed and humaely putting the ones that can't be adopted to sleep.
I agree! Most of the problem could have been prevented if Greece had a humane animal control program. The problem is out of control due to lack of responsibility. It worries me that so many dogs and cats were left to fend for themselves.

I am much more disgusted by their lack of compassion for all life forms we share the earth with than I would be by any stray animal, homeless person, or underpaid immigrant worker
:|

Back
Top Bottom