Mass poisoning of homeless dogs and cats because of Olympics! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Mass poisoning of homeless dogs and cats because of Olympics!

Where is PETA? Isn't there anything we can do? I will boycott the games

http://www.archenoah-kreta.com/sle/info_interpet.php

This is a disgraceful display of heartless cruelty

Old 08-06-2004, 03:45 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:45 AM
You ever been around Greece? Strays all over infected with disease, I honestly cant blame them for taking drastic measures, it is no worse than what China will be doing to "clean up" for their Olympics.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 12:45 AM
There is no excuse for the suffering inflicted on these animals. If they must kill them they could at least take them to the pound and put them to sleep. Animals suffer very much from poisoning .I had a dog die that way. No creature should ever die that way.

They could have at least taken them out in the country and dumped them in the forest. They could survive because they are used to being stray. This is EVIL.

China is so evil, I bet they do this too, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did it to homeless humans also.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Humane euthanization

Poisoning

I once read a novel where one of the characters committed suicide with rat poison (she was young and didn't know how it worked) and even though the story is fiction, it was still awful!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:45 PM
while murders do not take place, olympic cities of the recent past have actively blocked homeless individuals, and their trademarks, from 'public' view. i believe atlanta is one city where this caused quite a civil/human rights concern.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Quote:
Athens says pre-Olympic dog roundup is not inhumane

By Associated Press, 8/5/2004 22:34

ATHENS, Greece (AP) Thousands of stray dogs being rounded up before the Olympics are not in danger of being killed or subjected to harsh treatment, Greek officials said Thursday, amid international concern.

''We are very sensitive about this issue,'' Deputy Agriculture Minister Alexandros Kontos said. ''I am at the disposal of anyone who wants to inspect the conditions under which these animals are being kept.''

Animal rights groups say as many 15,000 dogs could be removed from Athens streets before the Aug. 13-29 Olympics. The government has placed the stray population at less than 5,000.

Stray dogs are a familiar site in Greece and for decades have been allowed to roam free.

The government and Olympic organizers say they are opposed to euthanizing street animals.

On Tuesday, the London-based World Society for the Protection of Animals called on Greek officials to assure strays will not be mistreated.

WSPA spokeswoman Susan Sherwin said the government and the International Olympic Committee hadn't responded to the organization's request for details about the mass collection.

''It's highly dubious that 15,000 dogs are going to be rounded up and kept somewhere and will be released after the Olympics,'' Sherwin told The Associated Press, speaking by telephone from Framingham, Mass.
Maybe it's much ado about nothing.

C ya!

Marty
Old 08-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 03:45 AM
It's bad PR, what do you expect them to say, yes we did it? The link I posted has eyewitness accounts from people actually in Greece who said they saw the poisoned dogs die before their eyes. They say trucks come by to pick up bodies every day. The site is really from Greece, you can click on the links and see it is an organization based over there, and the writer's English is not very good (though their heart and their cause is!)
Old 08-06-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 08:45 PM
this is so sad. Sounds to me like Greece needs to set up some form of free spaying and neutering to get the problem under control.

I hope if they are rounding up the dogs they are cleaning them up, trying to find homes for the ones that can be tamed and humaely putting the ones that can't be adopted to sleep.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Ahh... good to see the Olympic spirit still lives on in Athens.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #10
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
this is so sad. Sounds to me like Greece needs to set up some form of free spaying and neutering to get the problem under control.

I hope if they are rounding up the dogs they are cleaning them up, trying to find homes for the ones that can be tamed and humaely putting the ones that can't be adopted to sleep.
I agree! Most of the problem could have been prevented if Greece had a humane animal control program. The problem is out of control due to lack of responsibility. It worries me that so many dogs and cats were left to fend for themselves.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 08-09-2004, 08:27 AM   #12
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 01:45 AM
Seems like homless dogs and cats weren't the only victims

http://news.amnesty.org/index/ENGEUR256082004

Old 08-09-2004, 08:41 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:45 AM
When I first saw the homeless and victims I was thinking one thing..... Soylent γυροσ!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Seems like homless dogs and cats weren't the only victims

http://news.amnesty.org/index/ENGEUR256082004

Interesting. My guess is that the treatment of cats and dogs will get more coverage.....
Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #15
War Child

I am much more disgusted by their lack of compassion for all life forms we share the earth with than I would be by any stray animal, homeless person, or underpaid immigrant worker