Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
We are born and we'll die. The only two absolutes in this world. Everything in between is up to us. Who believes this and who doesn't, and why?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
We are born and we'll die. The only two absolutes in this world. Everything in between is up to us. Who believes this and who doesn't, and why?

I think there are things in this world that happen to people that aren't their doing -- children aren't responsible for getting AIDS, people have no control over where and when they are born (the conditions, or the prosperity of the area or family), the plane you're in crashes, or your house gets destroyed by a tornado -- people don't cause those, so things happen to people and I don't think it's because of anything the people affected did.

What I do believe is that despite the various things that can and do happen, both good and bad, each person is responsible for how he or she responds. Some people have horrific things happen to them and manage to not only survive but go on to be wonderful, positive forces in the world. Other people live charmed lives, yet are miserable excuses for human beings.

Last edited:
"The only 2 sure things in this world are death and taxes."

I dont necessarily believe in the 'everything inbetween is up to us' that you state...Hmm, no I dont believe it.

Everything in between is up to us...

Well, I guess there is some truth to that. We are solely responsible for our actions and our attitudes and choices in life. But like Indra said, a lot of things are out of our control.

I guess this proves the John Lennon quote, "Life is what happens while we're making plans"

Life is more truthfully a fucked up string of events that always finishes with death...........

I don't believe it. I believe we have freedom, but not freedom of the will. I'm a Calvinist, but also really love the theology of Jonathan Edwards, who makes the distinction between having freedom to make choices and having freedom of the will. Obviously, this is religious reasoning which usually people here are not interested in, but if you are I can explain better when I have more time...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't believe it. I believe we have freedom, but not freedom of the will. I'm a Calvinist, but also really love the theology of Jonathan Edwards, who makes the distinction between having freedom to make choices and having freedom of the will. Obviously, this is religious reasoning which usually people here are not interested in, but if you are I can explain better when I have more time...

But was free will not God's gift to man, eh?

Re: Re: Life

indra said:

What I do believe is that despite the various things that can and do happen, both good and bad, each person is responsible for how he or she responds. Some people have horrific things happen to them and manage to not only survive but go on to be wonderful, positive forces in the world. Other people live charmed lives, yet are miserable excuses for human beings.

:up:

ImOuttaControl said:
Been listening to "I Am Mine" lately? :wink:
I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I am mine...

That song popped into my head after the first sentence of the first post. I can't really argue with that concept too much, except that we don't have total control over all the crap that goes on in our lives.

There are things that have happened in my life that I would never have chosen, so no, I don't believe that what's in between is up to us.

But then, there is that other saying that says that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, so I wouldn't necessarily change any of it either.

ZeroDude said:

Can you explain the difference please?

Most likely a semantic difference used to explain to those of us who cannot swallow the notion of a deterministic God who doles out fate to helpless humans. Hi, I created you and I chose to make you make certain choices, thus condemning you to hell for eternity because you did not exercise the "free will" that I didn't give you to make the choice to love ME...or else. Hmmm, yeah. I'm sorry, but Calvinism was the reason I almost left Christianity entirely. I cannot by any stretch of the imagination find the God created in this worldview to be worthy of anything but revulsion and fear.

Sorry to go off topic.

Life....

Thus far, life has been figuring out how to deal with what's been given to you and trying to manage a way to get what you want.

And then there was (is still for me) a period of like reasonsing and moral judgement where I've decided the kind of person I want to be, what I want to do, who I am.

ANd then love came along somewhere along the way, and well...... I don't know what to say about that. I think finding a real true love is a great and worthy cause- it;s not everything,
(sorry, it's goiong through my head nonstop)
but it is something........

You say I'm a fool, you say I'm nothing....... but if I'm a fool for you, oh, that's something...

I think a big part of life is figuring out what you want to do with it. I sort of believe that everything cancels out no matter what- if you believe in predestination, then act as you choose. If you don't want to be a sinner, then follow that path. If you belive nothing matters at all, well, what does that change?

It's all up to you and how you want to live.

Fate is something I don't understand, though, because it sort of has screwed me over... (don't mean to vent or whatever, but just this little bit). It's bad enough not to have something, but to have it and then loose it in a way where you can't do anything about it, that really sucks. Stability is something that I would have liked more of in my life.

but I'm young, and I guess it's made me harder, or perhaps more fragile, who knows? But it's weird, because I know a lot of people in my situation turn out to sort of waste their life.

But I don't want to do that.

Really, if I could be like Bono and go around the wolrd helping people, that would be awesome!

And my other "fantasy" would be to go on some epic adventure, and do good that way. Hah

:eyebrow:

But oh well....
really though, it's all how you want to perceive it all.
I think, in the end, it's your choice to be happy or sad.

I think hurt in between is an an absolute

You can't control other people and how much they can hurt you. You can control your reaction to it to a certain extent.

you do the best you can with what you have.

when things go well, don't credit yourself too much. when things go poorly, don't blame yourself too much. your choices are 50% chance.

try to live well, by that i mean the process of living -- do it well, even the little things, but don't sweat the small stuff.

in the end, realize that you do die alone, no one comes with you. this is, to me, both terrifying and empowering.

A_Wanderer said:
If somebody hurts you then you try and hurt them right back.

Doesn't revenge just perpetuate a cycle? What about being the better person and walking away? Or is this not manly enough in today's society?

Is it wrong to wish for karma? I guess it is, but sometimes I do it.

You can get angry and wish someone would hurt the way they have hurt you. I think that might be a natural human reaction, as wrong as it might be. Sometimes it's just wishing they could feel the way you do so that they might have some empathy - especially when someone won't admit what they have done, own up to it, and apologize. I think doing that is very "manly" :)

MrsSpringsteen said:
Is it wrong to wish for karma? I guess it is, but sometimes I do it.

You can get angry and wish someone would hurt the way they have hurt you. I think that might be a natural human reaction, as wrong as it might be. Sometimes it's just wishing they could feel the way you do so that they might have some empathy - especially when someone won't admit what they have done, own up to it, and apologize. I think doing that is very "manly" :)

I think you reap what you sow. But don't leave it up to me to make sure it happens. Revenge creates a cycle, that person wil in turn try and hurt you again more severely this time.

I took martial arts for 12 years or so of my life. The very first thing I learned is that if someone approaches you and wants to fight or whatever, if you can get out it then do so. If you can't then I'll teach what you need to know. This along with my personal faith will not allow me to act out of revenge to anyone. It's useless. I think society may call me weak because of that, but oh well.

I don't think that's weak at all-I think it's very strong

I can't wish for "revenge" on anyone really, but sometimes hurt is so bad that it can make you very weak. It is better to think people will reap what they sow, but it doesn't always happen that way.

Back
Top Bottom