Justice for Jessica........ - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2007, 01:13 AM   #286
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER


I did answer you. Thats why I requoted. I will look again.
Please do look again, because you never once showed me anything remotely close to examining the context of that scripture you quoted...
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:15 AM   #287
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


You see, there is no such thing. In our justice system, it's based on guilt beyong a reasonable doubt. Not certainty.

Once again the case against John Couey for murdering Jessica is concrete.
__________________

__________________
JCOSTER is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:20 AM   #288
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Please do look again, because you never once showed me anything remotely close to examining the context of that scripture you quoted...
I'm tired and don't know what your trying to get at with this;

Genesis 9:6 NRSV) Whoever sheds the blood of a human, by a human shall that person's blood be shed; for in his own image God made humankind.

Those who construct their theology solely by finding a verse from scripture that answers a particular question need read no further in this post. From the above, there is no question that the death penalty is mandated to Christians and Jews for the sin of murder.
__________________
JCOSTER is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:23 AM   #289
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


Dwight Schrute from The Office (terrible reference, I know) sort of parodies this thinking, he once said, "Better 1000 innocent men in jail then one guilty man go free." Thought of that when you said that.

Unfortunately, you are correct, that mad line of thinking is coming into play.
Hilarious if it wasn't so true.

I just saw this and found it fairly chilling:

Quote:
A new study has found juries in the United States get the verdict wrong in one out of six criminal cases and judges do not do much better.

According to an upcoming study out of Northwestern University, when they make those mistakes, both judges and juries are far more likely to send an innocent person to jail than to let a guilty person go free.

"Those are really shocking numbers," Jack Heinz said, a law professor at Northwestern, who reviewed the research of his colleague Bruce Spencer, a professor in the statistics department.

Professor Heinz says recent high-profile exonerations of scores of death row inmates have undermined faith in the infallibility of the justice system.

But these cases were considered relative rarities given how many checks and balances - like rules on the admissibility of evidence, the presumption of innocence and the appeals process - are built into the system.

"We assume as lawyers that the system has been created in such a way to minimise the chance we'll convict the innocent," Professor Heinz said.

"The standard of proof in a criminal case is beyond a reasonable doubt - it's supposed to be a high one. But judging by Bruce's data the problem is substantial."

The study, which looked at 290 non-capital criminal cases in four major cities from 2000 to 2001, is the first to examine the accuracy of modern juries and judges in the United States.

It found that judges were mistaken in their verdicts in 12 per cent of the cases while juries were wrong 17 per cent of the time.

More troubling was that juries sent 25 per cent of innocent people to jail while the innocent had a 37 per cent chance of being wrongfully convicted by a judge.

The good news was that the guilty did not have a great chance of getting off. There was only a 10 per cent chance that a jury would let a guilty person free while the judge wrongfully acquitted a defendant in 13 per cent of the cases.

But that could have been because so many of the cases ended in a conviction - juries convicted 70 per cent of the time while the judges said they would have found the defendant guilty in 82 per cent of the cases.

But Professor Spencer cautioned that the study did not look at enough cases to prove that these numbers are true across the country.

But it has provided insight into how severe the problem could be, and has also shown that measuring the problem is possible.

The study will be published in the July edition of the Journal of Empirical Legal Studies.
link to article posted

and for those legal wonks who wish to read through the actual report here is the link to that. Link to research paper

And granted these aren't capital cases, but given the swing to the right in this country, I would bet the pressure to convict is fairly high on juries and judges alike. No one wants to be called "soft on crime" after all.


Now Loki wants attention -- and when the Norse god of mischief wants attention, I know I best snap to it!
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:26 AM   #290
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
Once again the case against John Couey for murdering Jessica is concrete.
1. How so? Confessions never are 100% accurate either, people have lied in confessions of guilt before, for a variety of reasons.

2. How often are cases "concrete"?

The bottom line is that no where in our system do we define guilt by certainty. It's beyond a reasonable doubt for a reason. Because we can never be sure.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:26 AM   #291
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


I have, and that's hardly support for capital punishment at all. In fact, I'd say that if you had read further down the chapter, you'd see it as an anti-death penalty chapter.



"
is that how you interpret it?

JCoster-

Good night.



BVS-

I also find your Jonny Cash MF picture offensive, please take it down as a courtesy. And the Christ in the Temple analogy was stupid.
Please take it down, it makes you look like nothing more than a misfit.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:28 AM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Oh Jesus.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:29 AM   #293
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


1. How so? Confessions never are 100% accurate either, people have lied in confessions of guilt before, for a variety of reasons.

2. How often are cases "concrete"?

The bottom line is that no where in our system do we define guilt by certainty. It's beyond a reasonable doubt for a reason. Because we can never be sure.
The jury convicted Couey of taking the girl in February 2005 from her bedroom to his nearby trailer, sparking a massive search. Her body was found about three weeks after she disappeared in a grave in Couey's yard, about 150 yards (137 meters) from her own home.

Couey, already a convicted sex offender when he committed the crime, was arrested in Georgia and confessed to the killing. That confession was thrown out as evidence because Couey did not have a lawyer present.

Despite the confession being tossed, Couey incriminated himself other times. Jail guards and investigators testified that he repeatedly admitted details of the slaying after his arrest, insisting that he had not meant to kill the girl but panicked during an intense, nationally publicized police search.

Prosecutors also had overwhelming physical evidence, including DNA from the girl's blood and Couey's semen on a mattress in his room as well as her fingerprints in a closet where investigators said she was hidden.

Couey has a criminal record that includes 24 burglary arrests, carrying a concealed weapon and indecent exposure. He was designated a sex offender for exposing himself to a 5-year-old girl in 1991.

Looks pretty concrete to me.
__________________
JCOSTER is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:30 AM   #294
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
is that how you interpret it?
If you read my entire post, you'll see that I outline my reasoning behind my interpretation in detail.

I have found that, most of the time, a single Bible verse is usually taken out of context when quoted, whereas reading the entire chapter gives better context. And, as is often the case for the Pauline epistles, you usually have to read the entire book to understand his context.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #295
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER


Those who construct their theology solely by finding a verse from scripture that answers a particular question need read no further in this post. From the above, there is no question that the death penalty is mandated to Christians and Jews for the sin of murder.


Well I'm convinced that context means nothing to you. I'm sorry about that, but we have nothing further to discuss if you can't look at context and only look at one verse at a time.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #296
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Just to remind everyone here this is the little girl in the article mentioned above.

__________________
JCOSTER is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #297
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
The jury convicted Couey of taking the girl in February 2005 from her bedroom to his nearby trailer, sparking a massive search. Her body was found about three weeks after she disappeared in a grave in Couey's yard, about 150 yards (137 meters) from her own home.

Couey, already a convicted sex offender when he committed the crime, was arrested in Georgia and confessed to the killing. That confession was thrown out as evidence because Couey did not have a lawyer present.

Despite the confession being tossed, Couey incriminated himself other times. Jail guards and investigators testified that he repeatedly admitted details of the slaying after his arrest, insisting that he had not meant to kill the girl but panicked during an intense, nationally publicized police search.

Prosecutors also had overwhelming physical evidence, including DNA from the girl's blood and Couey's semen on a mattress in his room as well as her fingerprints in a closet where investigators said she was hidden.

Couey has a criminal record that includes 24 burglary arrests, carrying a concealed weapon and indecent exposure. He was designated a sex offender for exposing himself to a 5-year-old girl in 1991.

Looks pretty concrete to me.
Yes, it does "look" concrete. But again, people say things a lot that aren't true, as I said earlier, for a variety of reasons. Even admitting their own guilt when it's not true.

And in most cases, a person doesn't talk this much. How are we to judge the level of certainty of the guilt? You can't. It's impossible. Which is why the DP doesn't make sense.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #298
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar




Well I'm convinced that context means nothing to you. I'm sorry about that, but we have nothing further to discuss if you can't look at context and only look at one verse at a time.
Well maybe you should interpret then b/c I really don't know what your getting at with it.
__________________
JCOSTER is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #299
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


BVS-

I also find your Jonny Cash MF picture offensive, please take it down as a courtesy. And the Christ in the Temple analogy was stupid.
Please take it down, it makes you look like nothing more than a misfit.

dbs
I'll tell you what...

The day you stop your self righteous judgements, insults, and start practicing what you preach I will gladly do so...

Just show me that day.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:36 AM   #300
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER


Well maybe you should interpret then b/c I really don't know what your getting at with it.
Did you read the link? Did you read Melon's post? Please deconstruct that, I don't know how much more clearer I can make it...
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com