International Standards and Systems of Units - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:09 AM
The Dutch.
We also have a billion, which is not the same as the US billion (don't know for sure whether or not it is a million million or not). We don't use 1,000 million though, as we have our own phrase for it (something like milliard).

Marty

Old 12-20-2004, 02:32 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC
I think that the U.S. being stuck to an old, dated, measuring system is a sign of arrogance.

They should change to the damn metric system, for once and for all.
Wow, some people always just jump at any and every possible opportunity to brand people in the U.S. arrogant...

Old 12-20-2004, 02:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Re: Re: International Standards and Systems of Units

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase

Is this true??!! I'm shocked and amazed. How could I not know about this? It's a million million in Australia? What the bemph!

I've learned to work around the other issues and can compensate fairly well for them, but this caught me completely off guard.

So you're saying that when an Aussie is counting his marbles and he gets to nine hundred ninety-nine million nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine, the next number he counts is one thousand million? Who else counts this way?
Euros. Most of the world, I think, but Im not entirely sure.

Marty, we used to say millard too but I havent heard anyone say it in a long long time. Most people just say a thousand million now.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

The other thing that confuses me is measuring cups for cooking. USA measuring cups and spoons are different measurements in Australia ie a USA cup is not the same as an Australian cup. (cause ones imperial and ones metric)

Add that with the whole celsius / fahrenheit issue and cooking with international receipes is a bitch.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
The other thing that confuses me is measuring cups for cooking. USA measuring cups and spoons are different measurements in Australia ie a USA cup is not the same as an Australian cup. (cause ones imperial and ones metric)

Add that with the whole celsius / fahrenheit issue and cooking with international receipes is a bitch.
you got that right.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:35 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Re: International Standards and Systems of Units

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Wow, some people always just jump at any and every possible opportunity to brand people in the U.S. arrogant...
I think in this case it is perfectly justified too. There is no logical reason not to change, and to change would be very simple. You don't have to calculate every time, you simply change. The rest of the world has already made standard sizes, all we would have to do is adopt them. That we steadfastly refuse to do so is arrogant. Or maybe just stupid.

Quote:

* Metric measurement (eg kilos, centimetres, and celsius) in most of the world vs imperial measurement (stone, feet, and fahrenheit) in the USA

* International paper size is A4 except for parts of the Americas where it is Legal or Letter. (I'm not sure which, my apologies)

I don't think anyone uses "stone" in the US -- last person I heard us it was a Brit living in Australia -- but I wouldn't mind using it as my weight doesn't seem nearly as bad when using stone as a measurement.

I think that A4 is the same size as Legal here. Someone had some art prints made in an A4 size and I wanted to know how large that was before I bought some.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

LOL pounds, sorry.

A4 and legal are different sizes. I can tell you the dramas I have had with a F***ing computer that was stuck on USA settings and what it did to my document on "legal" size.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:47 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
LOL pounds, sorry.

A4 and legal are different sizes. I can tell you the dramas I have had with a F***ing computer that was stuck on USA settings and what it did to my document on "legal" size.
Oh! I think it might be Ledger sized then, and even there it's probably a bit different too. If you put two normal copier paper sheets (well, normal here anyway...your's seem to be slightly thinner and taller) side by side you get Ledger sized.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:57 AM   #24
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

that's why I checked to see his location says

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #25
New Yorker

The interesting thing is when people talk about a new baby (well, my friends and family) they describe its weight in lbs and oz....

Oh and just off the track a little but one thing that always cracks me up is when you ask someone "How far is that?" (eg "How far is it from Perth to Sydney [one side of the island to the other]?") They will answer in time (eg: "Four and a half hours flight" or "Four days driving?")

(For those who really need to know: 3792km, sorry no idea in miles...)

Old 12-21-2004, 01:40 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Tania
The interesting thing is when people talk about a new baby (well, my friends and family) they describe its weight in lbs and oz....
But are those then metric pounds or imperial pounds. Because there is a difference between them (500 grams for the metric pound and 453.6 gram for an imperial one).

Marty (prefers the imperial system for his weight too)
Old 12-21-2004, 02:06 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:09 PM
While the metric system is convenient I have a soft spot in my heart for the antiquated imperial system.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:10 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Australian babies are weighed in pounds (imperial pounds) as well as kilos.

So are fish.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:56 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Kids understand metrics.....Its the adults who have to make the change here in the states.

I know teachers who do not teach it.

Its a shame because being based on 10, it makes math much easier.
THe metric system has been taught for at least a couple of generations. Without a higher purpose for changing systems, we will likely remain in the status quo.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Heck, why not go to physics units, where the speed of light and Planck's constant are both equal to 1 and everything can be measured in meters. For example, I am approximately 2.43 x 10^17 meters of age right now, and my mass is approximately 2.84 x 10^42 (meters)^(-1).