If the election were held today.... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: If the election were held today, who would you vote for?
Bush 11 20.00%
Kerry 28 50.91%
Nader 3 5.45%
other 1 1.82%
not voting because I don't approve of the choices 4 7.27%
not voting because I am underage or not a US citizen 8 14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RockNRollDawgie
I'd hold my nose and vote for Kerry!
Anyone, anything, is better than another 4 years of Dubya.
You'd like this site, then.

http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbuti...rhimanyway.com

Old 05-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

You'd like this site, then.

http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbuti...rhimanyway.com

LOL!!!!! I agree with most of it.
It's more like Kerry is the lesser of two evils.

Old 05-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
All throughout history, people died for the right to vote.

It is not participation that is at issue. As one bumper sticker said "If you want me to vote, give me candidates."

The problem is that we end up voting for the lesser of two evils, and in the end of the day absolutely nothing will change. There is no difference between the Democrats and the Republicans in America in the way they operate. They both support the top 1% who are living the American dream while the bottom 99% lives out the American nightmare. And there is an apathy not at the voting polls, but among the middle class who doesn't seem to realize that without a revolution, they will get nowhere, while the top gets further and further. So they are happy to maintain the status quo so long as they can have their Ford and their house in the suburbs, alternately voting for one of two parties who essentially believes in the same thing. As a foreigner, I heard a Kerry speech the other day, I heard a Bush speech and for the love of God, how can you even tell they are not members of the same party?

I agree with U2Kitten about positive change not necessarily being a viable solution at this point. A revolution comes from within and so long as your middle class is satisfied with the scraps that come their way, without comprehensive health care, and with carrying the corporate fat cats, then you will never effect any sort of change regardless of whom you are voting for. This is because you are voting for that top 1% who has no idea what it is like to live in a 2 bedroom trailer.

"We the people" were a few dozen rich, white men. And they still are today.
I have never heard the truth about my country laid out so well by someone who doesn't even live here. I can't disagree with anything you said. I can see the things you are talking about first hand in my life and the life of the people I know.

This part especially stands out to me:

They both support the top 1% who are living the American dream while the bottom 99% lives out the American nightmare.

I don't know when people, including my elderly aunt, are going to get over the 'democrats are for the poor- republicans are for the rich' myth. That might have been true in FDR's day but not anymore. They are BOTH for the rich, the only difference is, the Democrats pretend to care, and the Republicans make no bones about it, they don't care. But either way, no one cares, unless you are a lobbyist with money and something in it for them, or a way to scratch their back after they scratch yours. Most representatives will vote against the wishes of their constituants if money is a factor and use the old "I know what' s best for you" shit. Of course they will all try to get jobs and pork barrel highway jobs in their areas, hey, they have to keep themselves getting elected, usually for life. But it is true that they have NO idea how it feels to live in a trailer, to drive a piece of shit with a broken transmission, to work your ass off and still live payday to payday not making ends meet. NOBODY cares about those Americans. They don't have any money. And in America, that's all it's about.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

I'd love to read that article if you could point me in the right direction ...?
It's a few chapters, as I said, and you can find them in "A People's History of the United States."
Old 05-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:24 AM
I hear you U2Kitten and anitram. I won't disagree that the upper 1% is calling the shots, and the middle class is accepting a few crumbs from them. Health care costs in particular are insane. A container of medicine that cost me $17.00 in 1992 now costs $53.00. That's a rip-off. I am pissed, and I will continue to be pissed. I have protest literature piled on my shelf from Oxfam and related groups. But do read Diane McWhorter's book, folks. It's one of the best history books I've ever read. She strikes alot of people as some sort of misguided idealist, but we have very similar backgrounds, we went to the same schools, etc, etc, and we come from the same place. I do not work for her publisher.
I'm in the "holding my nose and voting for Kerry" political persuasion now. The "John Kerry is a douchebag but I'm voting for him" site is hysterical.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:35 PM   #51
Refugee

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

It's a few chapters, as I said, and you can find them in "A People's History of the United States."
Thanks.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:44 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

I remember a few years back in the Lousiana governer's race, damn I forget the guy's name, but they had jokes and bumper sticker that said 'vote for the crook,it's important!' They knew he was a crook but they felt he was the lesser of the evils against David Duke. He won. But he did get back into trouble and ended up in jail. Honest, decent, politicians are too hard to come by, if there are any. I have no respect for people like them. Look now, we've got the Skull and Bones class of '68 vs. '66. Goodie
Old 05-28-2004, 08:06 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, I remember when David Duke was in that race in Louisiana. No offense to anyone here from Louisiana but they have some of the worst politicians on the planet. I can't remember the guy's name either but he was running against one of the most notorious Ku Klux Klan leaders. There have been at least two KKK Grand Dragons from Louisiana, and quite a few from my own state, including choice main characters in Diane McWhorter's book. The KKK can get fd.
*not surprisingly I screwed up my original post with too many smilies*
Old 05-28-2004, 09:01 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

You Verte, too many smilies? What? Never
Old 05-28-2004, 09:19 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
You Verte, too many smilies? What? Never
I thought I was going to die laughing when I couldn't post due to too many smilies.......too many smilies isn't enough for me.
ad infinitum
Old 05-29-2004, 02:59 AM   #56
War Child

Local Time: 12:24 AM
I'm a Bushie goat.. well, I suppose that's appropriate, yes?

I like Bush because he isn't afraid to do what he thinks is right. I don't like with having a religious nut in the White House (which is what I think Bush is), I don't like having someone so close to the oil industry in the White House (Bush again), and I think John Ashcroft and Donald Rumsfeld should go flock themselves (yo! Bush! you listening?)

But I am voting for Bush.

besides, if he pisses me off to much, I can just eat him munch munch.. I'd rather eat a bush than a john...

goat

}:)~
Old 05-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

i voted for bush in 2000... so for me not to vote for him again one of many different things would have had to happen

a) bush does something that just really pisses me off
b) i'm worse off now than i was when he took office
c) kerry just blows me out of the water with his ideas

so far... none of those things have happened. add that to the fact that i just simply don't trust kerry with homeland security, and my vote... for now... still rests with bush. but it's a long way till november. right now all kerry is telling me is why bush sucks. ok... i can figure that out on my own. stop telling me why he sucks and start telling me why you're good.

we'll see what happens come debate time
Old 05-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird
But even Kerry's face makes me sick.
Looks will decide the election, just as it has decided every election since 1960. And it isn't just "youthful" superficial looks I'm talking about. It's a race between who looks more "presidential." I'm sure it would make our Founding Fathers very proud. :P

Melon
Old 05-29-2004, 08:37 PM   #59
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Looks will decide the election, just as it has decided every election since 1960. And it isn't just "youthful" superficial looks I'm talking about. It's a race between who looks more "presidential." I'm sure it would make our Founding Fathers very proud. :P

Melon
Someone else said Kerry's voice made them sick. Bush's face and voice also make me sick. Politics makes me sick. Neither of these men deserve a vote and will not get mine. If I had a candidate to support, yes I would. I have done it in the past, working in phone banks and at the polls on election day.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:18 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird
Someone else said Kerry's voice made them sick. Bush's face and voice also make me sick. Politics makes me sick. Neither of these men deserve a vote and will not get mine. If I had a candidate to support, yes I would. I have done it in the past, working in phone banks and at the polls on election day.
Nah...I hear you. I wish I had the same enthusiasm for Kerry as I have for enthusiasm against Bush. As a media geek, I'm not quite sure who or what to blame. Is it Kerry for being inherently lackluster? Or is it the media, who always reduces public figures to a hollow stereotype? Or is it myself for overanalyzing the situation?

In terms of "looks," it may be a difficult election. Kerry is no Bill Clinton, and, flaws aside, the man could carry a room. Too bad Clinton couldn't have run for a third term, because Democrats are just plain...boring right now. Heck, if it weren't for constitutional age restrictions, I'd have tried to have run by now. :P

But I still have to be reminded that it is still very early. The party conventions have not even begun, and Kerry is still sans-VP. I read that Kerry is currently biding his time before the convention, plotting his strategy and allowing the Bush Administration to blow steam early. He's known to run quite a savvy election here in Massachusetts, and, depending on who one talks to, that's a good or a bad thing.

So I wait, having to choose between an extremist conservative Republican and a right-center, pseudo-liberal Democrat. In Canada, Kerry would be considered a conservative, if that's any guide to how politics are in this nation.

Melon