Humbled by Grace - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2006, 01:40 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Humbled by Grace

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

80's - you demonstrate great understanding of Romans (possibly my favorite book in the Bible).

Have you read any Watchman Nee?
Thanks a lot. I love Romans - it is my favorite book in the Bible. I used to understand Romans 6 and 7 much differently than I do now. But when you consider all the other things Paul says about who we are in Christ, this fits in perfectly.

I haven't read much Watchman Nee, but I know what he believed about who we are Christ (and who we are no longer) and I am in total agreement with him.

Have you read "Lifetime Guarantee" by Bill Gillham? Same great teachings.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Humbled by Grace

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Have you read "Lifetime Guarantee" by Bill Gillham? Same great teachings.
I'll have to check it out.

I love studying the whole concept of "identity.” Paul is very adamant that we, as Christians, are to have our identity in Christ. It is not about our social position, our popularity in the world, or our respect within the world. It is simply about who we are in Christ. What a beautiful concept.

On one hand, we are automatically humbled because we can claim nothing for ourselves, no matter how great or beautiful our works may be. But on the other hand, we are tremendously empowered by knowing that we are in Christ: heir to all He is heir to, with access to the same Spirit that rose Him from the dead and defeated the consequences of sin, and that we have eternal identity that is perfect, clean, and holy.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Humbled by Grace

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I'll have to check it out.

I love studying the whole concept of "identity.” Paul is very adamant that we, as Christians, are to have our identity in Christ. It is not about our social position, our popularity in the world, or our respect within the world. It is simply about who we are in Christ. What a beautiful concept.

On one hand, we are automatically humbled because we can claim nothing for ourselves, no matter how great or beautiful our works may be. But on the other hand, we are tremendously empowered by knowing that we are in Christ: heir to all He is heir to, with access to the same Spirit that rose Him from the dead and defeated the consequences of sin, and that we have eternal identity that is perfect, clean, and holy.
Amen, you are exactly right, and that is one of the most key concepts, and unfortunately is so often ignored or even lied about by many churches.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Humbled by Grace

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Amen, you are exactly right, and that is one of the most key concepts, and unfortunately is so often ignored or even lied about by many churches.
Sad but true. God placed me under a great teacher of the Word. He "got it." Every point in his theology has such a strong Scriptural basis. It’s very comforting to be around such a Spirit filled, wise Christian.

Whenever I get frustrated with someone or with someone's viewpoint, he always reminds me that is almost always a problem with identity. Then, when I look at this person, I see that the real reason they are holding onto something so strongly is because their identity is so wrapped up into (insert any image).
I also must guard against my own natural desires to have any identity outside of Christ.