For the Healing of the Nations: Prayer/Good Vibes ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For communities suffering war

God of compassion, look in mercy on all who suffer the
terrors of war -
the anguished, the frightened, and the pained,
all who are wounded,
all who mourn,
and all who have lost home or livelihood.
May they know respite, relief, and hope.

parchment.jpg

For peace

Jesus, giver of peace, we look for your gift amidst the conflicts of our time.
You are the Saviour who searches for us,
the Friend who longs for us,
the Redeemer who strives for us,
and we set our troubled hearts before you.
Turn from us despondency,
and keep us searching for the way that leads to peace;
Turn from us disillusion,
and keep us longing for the healing that makes for peace;
Turn from us despair, and keep us striving for the change that will build peace;
until our hopes find their fulfilment in your gift made real.

if I could through myself set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away, see you break, break away
into the light, into the day...

--"Bad" U2

(for our POWs and for the millions of suffering Iraqis)

For the Armed Forces

Almighty God, stretch forth your mighty arm to strengthen and protect the armed forces: grant that, meeting danger with courage and all occasions with discipline and loyalty, they may truly serve the cause of justice and peace; to the honour of your holy name, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

EDIT by paxetaurora, 4/1/03:
This is the only time I have been happy to edit a post.
Thanks be to God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A close friend with a nephew in the 507 Maintenance Company asks for prayer for the following service personnel listed as missing or as POWs and their families:

Missing In Action:
Army Master Sgt. Robert J. Dowdy, 38, of Cleveland, 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Spc. James M. Kiehl, 22, of Comfort, Texas, 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Chief Warrant Officer Johnny Villareal Mata, 35, of El Paso, Texas, 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Pfc. Lori Ann Piestewa, 23, of Tuba City, Ariz., 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Pvt. Brandon Ulysses Sloan, 19, of Bedford, Ohio, 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Pvt. Ruben Estrella-Soto, 18, of El Paso, Texas, 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Sgt. Donald Ralph Walters, 33, of Salem, Ore., 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.

Prisoners of War:
Army Spc. Edgar Hernandez, 21, of Mission, Texas, 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Spc. Joseph Hudson, 23, of Alamogordo, N.M., 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Spc. Shoshana Johnson, 30, of Fort Bliss, Texas, 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Pfc. Patrick Miller, 23, of Park City, Kan., 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Army Sgt. James Riley, 31, of Pennsauken, N.J., 507th Maintenance Company, Fort Bliss, Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
The average age of the military man is 19 years.

He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country.

He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment either.

He's a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away.

He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or j azz or swing and 155mm Howitzers.

He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk.

He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark.

He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must.

He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional.

He can march until he is told to stop or stop until he is told to march.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity.

He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry.

He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle.

He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts. If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food.

He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job.

He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death than he should have in his short lifetime.

He has stood atop mountains of dead bodies, and helped to create them.

He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed. He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to 'square-away' those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.

Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom.

Beardless or not, he is not a boy.

He is the American Fighting Man that has kept this country free for over 200 years.

He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding.

Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

For our Military

"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they
protect us.

Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."

Pax,

Thank you for updating the prayer list with the rescue of Jessica Lynch. One of the joys of praying specifically is seeing how God answers those prayers.

I am bumping and sticking this thread, due to its frequently having gotten lost in the foray of war posts and people being unable to find it.

Please pray for a friend of Icelle's in the service, from whom she has not heard in a while. Pray for his safety and for her peace of mind until he is found.

paxetaurora said:
Please pray for a friend of Icelle's in the service, from whom she has not heard in a while. Pray for his safety and for her peace of mind until he is found.

For Icelle and anyone else with a friend or loved one far from home:

For friends and loved ones

O God, your fatherly care reaches
to the uttermost parts of the earth.
Bless those whom we love, who are now separated from us.
Watch over them, and protect them
in all anxiety, danger and temptation;
and teach us and them to feel and know that you are always near,
and that we are one in you for ever;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

My Dad sent this to me today. For healing bewteen opposites. It is pretty moving.

We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, "Taps." It's the song that gives us that lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.

But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings. Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia. The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.

During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment. When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.
The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out.
Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army. The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted. The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral. The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate. But out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform. This wish was granted. The haunting melody, we now know as "Taps"
... used at military funerals was born.

The words are:

Day is done ... Gone the sun ... >From the lakes ... From the hills
From the sky ... All is well ... Safely rest .. God is nigh...Fading light ...Dims the sight ... And a star ... Gems the sky...Gleaming bright ... From afar ... Drawing nigh .. Falls the night ..Thanks and praise ... For our days ... Neath the sun .... Neath the stars... Neath the sky ... As we go ...This we know ... God is nigh...

I, too, have felt the chills while listening to "Taps" but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse. I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along. I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before.

REMEMBER THOSE LOST AND HARMED WHILE SERVING THEIR COUNTRY.
And also those presently serving in the Armed Forces..
Please send this on.

i finally heard from my friend after 5 months, just to let everyone know. thanks for your prayers. im going to read his email over and over again now.

Back
Top Bottom