Down With the Redskins?.... Here's to the FIGHTING WHITIES - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2002, 07:23 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:18 PM
HEY,
Hail To the Redskins! I'm sorry to hear Z-Edge is a Cowboy fan. Perhaps this year we will beat those Cowboys for the first time in Half a decade.
I find this debate similar to the Confederate flag debate in a vague way. But seriously, there are far more serious issue's then this. People in Israel would be shaking their heads if they saw this.

Old 03-14-2002, 07:45 PM   #17
Banned

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
Well,
I am a Greek-Irish-Indian American, so I can be pissed at the Redskins (how ironic of me to like the Cowboys), Notre Dame, and every College in America that has fraternitys.

But I choose not, with a good sense of humor and a reasonable mind.

People need to get over it, grow up and generally stop trying to bleed others for crap reasons.
You hit the nail on the head, fella!!
*Pats the cute puppy*

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Old 03-14-2002, 07:49 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Lemonite, you're missing my point. Until white America has faced hundreds of years of literal and cultural genocide the tables CAN'T be turned.
Is that so hard to understand?

MAP

Old 03-14-2002, 08:00 PM   #19
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
HEY,
Hail To the Redskins! I'm sorry to hear Z-Edge is a Cowboy fan. Perhaps this year we will beat those Cowboys for the first time in Half a decade.
I find this debate similar to the Confederate flag debate in a vague way. But seriously, there are far more serious issue's then this. People in Israel would be shaking their heads if they saw this.
LOL, Daniel Snyder might have a lot of $$$$$, but I don't think he can buy a Redskin victory over my BOYS

Frankly, I am scared of of Steve Spurrier
Old 03-14-2002, 08:02 PM   #20
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Lemonite, you're missing my point. Until white America has faced hundreds of years of literal and cultural genocide the tables CAN'T be turned.
Is that so hard to understand?

MAP

MAP, Thank you for clearing up your position. No one ever said the tables 'CAN'T' be turned, just that the 'Fighting Whitie' attempt to turn them did not materialize as planned, but it does bring the issue more to the forefront than past efforts of various kinds. You're taking this on a whole different direction than my initial statement, but anyone that wants to discuss this further with MAP, feel free, but it has nothing to do with what I am posting. Point noted for the record.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-14-2002).]
Old 03-14-2002, 09:33 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:

Lilly, it seems you can give out sarcasm/satire but are unable to understand it... I'll have Zone order you one of those pies he's so famously been hocking.

The first thing you'll learn when you get to college in any business/ethics class is that the use of any expletive to label/emphasize a position or statement immediately discredits your argument.

I don't think you understand sarcasm. Sarcasm is defined as irony intended to insult. Indeed I am a sarcastic person, I am quite able to handle sarcasm as well. This article is neither sarcasm nor satire. This article isn't really even supposed to be humorous, it's about the team who is trying to show white people what it's like to be descriminated against since we so rarely feel it. It is not sarcasm at all and I don't even see where you get satire out of it.

I fully understand the implications of using expletives in arguments. At this time, I chose to bring the consequences on because it pretty much summed up what I was thinking. And while it was an immature thought, I stand by it fully.

It's sad to see you clouded at such a young age, with so much promise to fill.

And what exactly is this supposed to mean anyway?

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:12 PM   #22
Kid A

Local Time: 06:18 PM
funny stuff...

Old 03-14-2002, 11:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly:
This article isn't really even supposed to be humorous, it's about the team who is trying to show white people what it's like to be descriminated against since we so rarely feel it.
Yes!! Hooray.. Hooray.. You've got it exactly. That is the whole point.. The whole deal with the team trying to 'turn the tables' was met with Cheers, Appreciation for their Cleverness and Acknowledgements of a strange sort of humor involved in the situation, because the general populus' take on the issue was not what was intended by the team. It's a sort of an Ironic Funny Situation. Bless you Lilly.

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-15-2002).]
Old 03-15-2002, 12:08 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Apparently no one even feels this is funny... *SigH*.

So, when I said that the article ISN'T funny, and you said that was the point, what exactly did you mean by this comment? Satire? Sarcasm? 'Cos it's neither. So, you tell me, how do you take this as being funny?

It's sad to see you clouded at such a young age, with so much promise to fill.

And you still didn't explain this comment, so could you please?

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:04 AM   #25
War Child

No, the handle is perfectly fine (if a bit uninspired). I said exactly what I meant.

And the article...well, I'm afraid it's meaning flew over your head, as many things seem to--and please, this is not limited to a matter of political correctness, so don't reduce it to that.

The article states: Solomon Little Owl, director of the university's Native American Student Services and a member of the team [says] "We disagree with Native American caricatures in sports logos, but when we raise the issue, people say, 'Oh, it's not derogatory, it's meant to honor you.' So we decided to show them how it feels."

The Native Americans evidently did not appreciate the moniker the "Fightin' Reds," and attempted to prove a point. I refuse to see the humor in an entire town of whites demonstrating their appalling insensitivity. It's disgusting, actually.

You, like Greeley's whities, "don't seem to get it."

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 03-14-2002).]
Old 03-15-2002, 03:18 AM   #26
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by mug222:
Coming from you, however, I am more than certain that it is nothing but more of the racist and ignorant drivel that you've been spouting for months. You are the type of person I hate.
Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy in this?
Old 03-15-2002, 03:23 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Cheers Mug222!

I actually saw a report about this on Fox Sports last night on Jim Rome's Show. I was the one who posted the orignal thread. I did my senior thesis on the subject in undergrad. It is too bad people don't get it. Cheers to the team trying to change opinions, to bad it has fallen on deaf ears.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:24 AM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by babble:
Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy in this?
No, that would be if I hated him because he's white (which I am, too).

This might help you out, Babble.

Old 03-15-2002, 03:26 AM   #29
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener:

I actually saw a report about this on Fox Sports last night on Jim Rome's Show. I was the one who posted the orignal thread. I did my senior thesis on the subject in undergrad. It is too bad people don't get it. Cheers to the team trying to change opinions, to bad it has fallen on deaf ears.
Thank god, a voice of reason. I no longer have to carry on the good fight in solitude

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 03-14-2002).]
Old 03-15-2002, 03:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener:
Cheers Mug222!

It is too bad people don't get it. Cheers to the team trying to change opinions, to bad it has fallen on deaf ears.
Sooo.. What is it you want the 'Whitie' to do?.. Shit in our pants, while wringing our hands yelling.. 'Oh How Unfair' this is.. 'Oh How Could They Do That?'..

Like it has been posted in this forum before, Fans/Students/Irishmen themselves do not consistently put up a stink about Notre Dame being named the Fighting Irish, In fact, ND has nothing against being named the 'Fighting Irish', It's the political Correctness Gurus who raise the fuss,

So maybe the Whitie isn't offended to the point of legal action or Opening groups like the White Panthers, that doesn't mean the point has not gotten across. I'm saying I hear their point loud and clear in a different manner than the usual bylines in USA Today sports about the latest Redskin Suit, and I congratulate them on their clever and ingenius practice of going about an issue.

Buuuut.. Now if a White School were to drop out a 'Po' Boy' Team Mascot, to protest such names as the 'Fighting Irish' and others that Bubba referenced a while back, It would be yelled upon as Racist and A National Tragedy.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-14-2002).]