Christian Rock is the most hypocritical thing ever.... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I just can't imagine spending that much time in the studio "re-doing" a song. Seriously he re-recorded it everytime? Or did he just re-record the dedication?
He seriously re-recorded it every single time. But it wans't just in the studio. He'd record while setting up concert stages, while - everything. One guy said he knew his was recorded during a stage steup because he could hear things falling in the background.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Isn't The Alarm the band that had/has these big fan gatherings? Or am I thinking of someone else?
That's them, although right now, only one original member, the singer, is left in the band.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:50 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

If he recorded it without mistakes or breaks between songs that one song took 10 hours of studio time.
There were definitely mistakes. He got his acccoustic guitar and just played and sang.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #64
War Child

Local Time: 01:49 PM
It looks like this thread has turned from "Christian Rock is Hypocritical" to recommending the best Christian rock that you've heard. Fine by me, here are my picks (some have already been mentioned).

Switchfoot
Relient K
Delirious (esp. 'Mezzamorphis')
Steve Taylor/Newsboys (thanks for the link, 80s)

Kevin Max is very poetic (art rock in a sense), and I love his music. He just looks cool, esp. when he's wearing his boa.
I think Bono and Dave Gilmour may be the only other singers whose voice I like better than K Max's.

Check out kevinmax.com, some of his latest album plays in the background. Highly recommended.

I have to also mention a band called Fraction. This is SO different than your stereotypical Christian music. Their only album was made in 1971, and I had to special order it from Canada, but it was worth it. Think of a cross between Black Sabbath and The Doors, and this is what Fraction sounds like. Is 'psychodelic Christian music' an oxymoron? Not if you've heard Fraction!!
Old 06-27-2005, 06:47 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84
i remember steve taylor. he did meltdown at madame tussauds. for those of you who don't know, i grew up in a fairly fanatical, semi-panicky church environment. secular music was not allowed. it was considered a sin, for reasons i could not explain to you now. so us pre-teens listened to artists such as steve taylor, undercover (god rules!), and stryper. (hey, we did what we could)

many posts in this thread mention U2 as a christian band, which is quite amusing to me on a very personal level because way back in 1984, i was able to convince my parents that U2 was, indeed, a christian band - thanks to articles like the one 2hearts mentioned.

for christmas that year, there was a copy of unforgettable fire under the tree.

and the rest, as they say, is history.

somewhere in storage, i still have that cassette of steve taylor. and undercover...i saw them a few years ago at a reunion show with a few other bands. undercover was pretty awesome.

oh yeah and remember the 77s? i had all the christian rock tapes. i wasn't allowed to listen to rock music back then too...but i did what i could, and i snuck it in most of the time.

and i also convinced my mother that u2 was a christian band too. then she caught on, grounded me from them for a whole year because of some lyrics she didnt like lol. that was funny...
Old 06-27-2005, 07:42 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I never saw Undercover in concert, but I have their first 4 records. My favorite song by them is "Wait A Minute". I like the "forever and ever and ever and ever..." part.

God Rules!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:49 AM
the problem with christian rock music is that the artists are trying not to offend anyone in the US christian circles, (which is very hard when if you sneeze facing the wrong direction Dobson could very well call you a member of the antichrist or a evil liberal )

So for the most part the result is bands writing the same drivel over and over again which gets very tiresome and dull.

the difference with bands/artists who are christian but not in the christian music industry (U2 etc) is they don't care if they piss people off. I think Bono said once that you need mainstream artists to get to the truth because in the chr music scene everyones to scared to say much of anything of meaning.

You could never get songs like sunday bloody sunday, peace on earth, wake up dead man in the chr music scene. Let alone the songs about sex, mysterious ways etc

for a laugh, maybe violent rage read this review of pop by dobsons group
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0000740.cfm

they say in the atyclb review that its so good the band doesn't float down the dubious streams of consciousness like in pop! I dunno about you but I like being conscious
Old 06-28-2005, 06:33 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

You could never get songs like sunday bloody sunday, peace on earth, wake up dead man in the chr music scene. Let alone the songs about sex, mysterious ways etc
Actually, I've heard "40" in church, as well as a song by Styx called "Show Me The Way"

But really, would you expect to hear a song about sex in church? Seeing as how church is place to read the word, pray, and praise God, what purpose would a song about sex serve?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Actually, I've heard "40" in church, as well as a song by Styx called "Show Me The Way"

But really, would you expect to hear a song about sex in church? Seeing as how church is place to read the word, pray, and praise God, what purpose would a song about sex serve?
I always figured sex was a big part of being human, and if you believe humans were created by a divine being, why then would sex be a bad thing? Shouldn't that god be praised for all things given to humans, including sex?

So while I think an orgy at church (while interesting to daydream about during really boring sermons, etc.) would be very creepy, I kinda wonder if a god would wonder why people seem so ashamed of this really cool gift he/she/it gave to it's creations.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I always figured sex was a big part of being human, and if you believe humans were created by a divine being, why then would sex be a bad thing? Shouldn't that god be praised for all things given to humans, including sex?

So while I think an orgy at church (while interesting to daydream about during really boring sermons, etc.) would be very creepy, I kinda wonder if a god would wonder why people seem so ashamed of this really cool gift he/she/it gave to it's creations.
Sex in the right context is a good thing, but in church, the focus is to be completely on God, not on his creations.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I didnt say anything about "40" and I'm not talking about in church I'm talking about the chriatian rock music scene not praise/worship music sung on sunday mornings at most churches
Old 06-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
So while I think an orgy at church (while interesting to daydream about during really boring sermons, etc.)
Old 06-28-2005, 07:45 PM   #73
Refugee

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge
So for the most part the result is bands writing the same drivel over and over again which gets very tiresome and dull.

the difference with bands/artists who are christian but not in the christian music industry (U2 etc) is they don't care if they piss people off. I think Bono said once that you need mainstream artists to get to the truth because in the chr music scene everyones to scared to say much of anything of meaning.

for a laugh, maybe violent rage read this review of pop by dobsons group
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0000740.cfm

they say in the atyclb review that its so good the band doesn't float down the dubious streams of consciousness like in pop! I dunno about you but I like being conscious
I remember someone posted that FoF Pop review a few years ago. Pretty funny.

There are a lot of spiritual people and Chrisitans in mainstream music, especially in hip-hop. They are just a different type of Christian, often a sort of Christian whom many fundamentalists would consider, well, not "Christian" at all.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:03 PM   #74
War Child

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Personally, I think Sunday, Bloody Sunday would be accepted in today's Christian rock scene (unless I'm forgetting something objectionable).

Pax217 wrote a song called "What is Love" that was about the singer's wife who had been raped at some point in the past. Very powerful lyrically, and he says "You better take your eyes off of her/ They are evil, so look away/ I'm warning you, there will be hell to pay"
Old 06-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:

Sex in the right context is a good thing, but in church, the focus is to be completely on God, not on his creations.
But isn't thanking that god for the gifts bestowed upon you focusing on god? Let's face it, people thank god in church all the time for various things they believe that god gave them. So, except for our squeamishness, why not a big "thanks for inventing sex!" once in a while?

I imagine any god that would create sex would appreciate it being appreciated.