Charity....From Tax $$$$ or Free Will???? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2003, 07:37 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
All donations over $2.00 are tax deductable

Pay, then pay again.

I say mostly free will. Unfortunately a lot of charity relies on government assistance though as this free society of ours is not as generous as we'd like to think we are.
Excellent.....

Ani...good points.....You may have not read what I typed that is fine.

As I said before...what started this thread is a reaction to the fact that people are in this forum always upset that the US does not give enough. It bothers me that we do give, a lot in tax $$$ and a lot in other ways through other organizations and that never seems to come into account and it never seems to be enough.

It also bothers me, that maybe because I am more conservative than others, it is alright to take my questions and paint them and taint them as being something they were not intended to be. I too have reasons to RESENT the comparison Concentration camps and Germany. In more ways than I care to discuss in this forum it has impacted my family and anyone who has seen me complain that Iraq get 86 billion and Africa 2 billion or 3 billion, should have been in here at least saying it was not fair to characterize me or my questions in that manner.

But that is not what FYM is about.

Anitram, again, your post is eloquent, I more than understand the situation.......Thank you for always being respectful, and I wish I could figure out how to make medical things work here in the US.

And Katey and Fizz.....

If you missed the UN Speech Yesterday where the Iraqi Ambassador spoke about how wrong it was for the International Community to sit back while Saddam commited the atrocities on his people, it reminded me very much of the point directed towards me, and the questions I was asking in this thread.

I again, was big enough to apologize yesterday, if I offended anyone in this forum, however, it is disappointing, that people who have known me in this forum would find it an acceptable comparison. I have reread my posts throughout, and NEVER did I say, do not give money. That would indicate I did not give a SHITE.

I am seriously done with this thread. It was a serious question, and it was never, ever intended to be, don't give out money and stand by and watch other people suffer.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:32 AM   #47
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Ah crap. I confess I did not read this thread really before replying. I promise not to skim the first few replies and ignore the rest. Dread were you talking to me with the "Ani..." part? I really shouldn't read FYM when I have a headache lol.

Blacksword what you wrote about the trains is a pretty good example of why we don't like references to NAZI Germany. Such a reference is always going to end up causing more trouble than the original point attempted to make. If the thread isn't about Germany, please dont use the terms or reference them in any way. Fizzingwhizzbee's gave clarity to the point and was then told it was a 'cute' comparison. I thought what she said made sense in defining what the Auschwitz comment really meant. All this said though, its better to just not make them. I hope we can all drop this aspect of the discussion.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:36 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

No I liked your mostly Free Will point.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:52 AM   #49
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Well, of course you did! I am right as usual
I just wrote out a long rambling reply but wont post it. It didnt make sense anyway and oversimplified the whole thing.

Good discussion though.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:00 AM   #50
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:11 AM
the amount of trust I put in the human race to be able to look beyond ones personal needs forces me to say "tax $$$"
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:11 PM
i do think if youre looking for a 'tax deduction' when donating money is it really thru charity?
if youre looking to donate a dollar so u can reclaim it thru another way is that really charity?
W/motives like that it sounds like a bookeeper's 'wet dream.

I think true charity consists of-
1-Doing a kind act not expecting any compensation.
2-Doing a kind act out of the public eye where you will not recieve any accolades from your fellow man trying to be 'the cat's meow'..

This is why Christ said there is no greater gift than one voluntarily lays down his life for another.

That is true charity -not forced small incremental tax hikes that go to some polictian's pockect where a portion of the proceeds are later thrown at some worthy cause.

diamond
Old 12-17-2003, 10:58 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
You think that everyone in Germany who saw their Jewish neighbours disappearing and didn't do anything about it was a Nazi?
Not at all. But we were not discussing the history of the holocaust. 60 years later, when a reference is made to sending Jews off to the death camps, the snapshot implication is that of "nazi".
Old 12-17-2003, 01:22 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Dreadsox,

I understand the intent of your thread, and I'm sorry it took a turn to something you didn't envision for it. Forget about implications, you're one of the good guys not just aroung here but in general. Have a wonderful Christmas (and a break from me for at least a week because I'm off to NYC ).

m.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:30 PM   #54
War Child

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
And Katey and Fizz..... If you missed the UN Speech Yesterday where the Iraqi Ambassador spoke about how wrong it was for the International Community to sit back while Saddam commited the atrocities on his people, it reminded me very much of the point directed towards me, and the questions I was asking in this thread
Nope I didnt miss a thing actually,
Okay Dreadsox I never insinuated ..
Although I was only tyring to clarify the Train bit, I never think it was directed at you ever. Anyway in my fault then I apologize.. I am little Irish... quick to anger(ha!) I would never make that direct comparison to anyone..People will read into these things what they want to
I always appreciate your point of view ...Cheers