Canada Votes 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From CTV:

With a big shift in voter intention in Ontario in the homestretch of the campaign, a new poll shows the Conservative Party's earlier lead whittling away.

From a tracking poll of 1,000 Canadians, the latest numbers by The Strategic Counsel for CTV and The Globe and Mail shows Conservative support dropping and Liberal support gaining strength.

Conservatives have dropped from an 18-point national lead earlier this week to a nine-point lead now, according to interviews conducted Jan. 17 and 18.

Most of that surge is coming in the Greater Toronto Area, comprised of the 416 and 905 area codes. The Liberals have jumped up to 50 per cent support (they had 55 per cent in the 2004 election), while the Conservatives are at 30 per cent -- a drop of seven points in a matter of days.

It's not a big deal for me to 'know' someone is gay, I just had disagreement about it and wanted to know who was right and wrong, I was wrong. If anyone knew me and the posts I have made about the subject (melon) you'd know I'm a huge supporter of gay rights.

Anywho, Harper was on CBC with Mansbridge tonight, I thought he handled himself well. Though the people asking the questions were to light on him. Whatever happened to a person asking a question and the candidate avoiding the question and the person having the balls to take them to task. I tell ya, if it were me asking some of those question he wouldnt be getting off so easy, and that goes for all the leaders!

Are the Conservatives the first party in the history of politics to not say "when we form the next majority government" or " we will win"? Are they afraid to put the image in the minds of Canadians for fear they will go OMG and vote for the Liberals? This whole campaign by all parties as been bizarre. The Liberals haven't put forth any real platforms, the Conservatives have kept their mouths shut this time and Jack is pretty much admitting all he can do is whisper in someone's ear from time to time. And stategic voting seems to be the biggest issue in our electoral system now, how to group votes in certain ridings to get the outcome you want. It's just crazy. I still view Harpur as Bush lite though, even after the CBC Q & A tonight.

trevster2k said:
Are the Conservatives the first party in the history of politics to not say "when we form the next majority government" or " we will win"? Are they afraid to put the image in the minds of Canadians for fear they will go OMG and vote for the Liberals? This whole campaign by all parties as been bizarre. The Liberals haven't put forth any real platforms, the Conservatives have kept their mouths shut this time and Jack is pretty much admitting all he can do is whisper in someone's ear from time to time. And stategic voting seems to be the biggest issue in our electoral system now, how to group votes in certain ridings to get the outcome you want. It's just crazy. I still view Harpur as Bush lite though, even after the CBC Q & A tonight.

If the Conservatives ever expect to win someday, they need to dump Harper and all the Alliance fanatics, and stop running political campaigns based on bigotry. That might work in American political campaigns (shameful, isn't it?), but it doesn't seem to resonate well in Canada. I think this is where people start panicking and start voting safe again the minute they realize that the Conservatives might actually win this one. It happened last time too, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing how their platform on lowering taxes, raising military spending, and all the kind of platform you'd expect from conservatives would go over without the undercurrent of prejudice.

Melon

bonoman said:
It's not a big deal for me to 'know' someone is gay, I just had disagreement about it and wanted to know who was right and wrong, I was wrong. If anyone knew me and the posts I have made about the subject (melon) you'd know I'm a huge supporter of gay rights.

I know. I lament that it's still kind of an object of curiosity, but who am I to change Western culture?

Anywho, Harper was on CBC with Mansbridge tonight, I thought he handled himself well. Though the people asking the questions were to light on him. Whatever happened to a person asking a question and the candidate avoiding the question and the person having the balls to take them to task. I tell ya, if it were me asking some of those question he wouldnt be getting off so easy, and that goes for all the leaders!

The CBC has been light on Harper the minute they realized he might actually win. They have their funding to worry about, and if Harper develops a grudge against the CBC, he'll be more likely to try and slash its funding for the future.

Melon

As far i'm concern,Harper still has the words "Reform party" written on his forehead,no matter how hard he tries to hide it.So until the conservatives get them self a "true" Tory,Layton will get my vote on Monday.

The only good side of the Conservative/Reform win next Monday is that Peter Mckay will have his revenge over Belinda Stronach.What that woman did in 2004 was one of the most shamefull move that i ever saw.Prostitued herself for the liberal and flushing her fiance at the same time by doing that shamefull move.

That boomerang will comeback and hit her so hard Monday.There won't be a larger smile on T.V. on Monday night than on Peter Mckay's face.

Cigar said:

The only good side of the Conservative/Reform win next Monday is that Peter Mckay will have his revenge over Belinda Stronach.What that woman did in 2004 was one of the most shamefull move that i ever saw.Prostitued herself for the liberal and flushing her fiance at the same time by doing that shamefull move.

That boomerang will comeback and hit her so hard Monday.There won't be a larger smile on T.V. on Monday night than on Peter Mckay's face.

first of all, peter mackay killed any credibility he had for merging with the alliance party after he distinctly promised that he wouldn't allow that to happen. that promise is pretty much what won him the leadership of the old conservative party. but then he did merge with the alliance, and he's largely responsible for vaulting harper into the position he's in now.

his boo-hoo poor-me schtick on the family farm the day after the government didn't fall was also rather pathetic.

second, belinda stronach "prostituted" herself by crossing the floor to prevent the conservatives under stephen harper from bringing down the government? if a man had have done the same thing, i can guarantee that there would have been no references to him being a whore or a prostitute. if anything, it probably would have been hailed as one of the gutsiest political moves in recent memory.

i am sick to death of the media portraying her as a flouncy whore. most of the attention she's gotten has either been about her appearance (her hair, her wardrobe, her killer shoe collection), or about how she "whored herself out" that fateful day last summer. she's a successful business woman and a tough politician. men get praised for such accomplishments, but gets dismissed as a prostitute.

not that i'm a huge stronach fan by any stretch, but i can't believe the sexism and mysogyny that rears its ugly head when her name comes up.

ps - not that it matters, but they weren't engaged, either.

dandy said:

first of all, peter mackay killed any credibility he had for merging with the alliance party after he distinctly promised that he wouldn't allow that to happen. that promise is pretty much what won him the leadership of the old conservative party. but then he did merge with the alliance, and he's largely responsible for vaulting harper into the position he's in now.

his boo-hoo poor-me schtick on the family farm the day after the government didn't fall was also rather pathetic.

second, belinda Stronach "prostituted" herself by crossing the floor to prevent the conservatives under stephen harper from bringing down the government? if a man had have done the same thing, i can guarantee that there would have been no references to him being a whore or a prostitute. if anything, it probably would have been hailed as one of the gutsiest political moves in recent memory.

i am sick to death of the media portraying her as a flouncy whore. most of the attention she's gotten has either been about her appearance (her hair, her wardrobe, her killer shoe collection), or about how she "whored herself out" that fateful day last summer. she's a successful business woman and a tough politician. men get praised for such accomplishments, but gets dismissed as a prostitute.

not that i'm a huge stronach fan by any stretch, but i can't believe the sexism and mysogyny that rears its ugly head when her name comes up.

ps - not that it matters, but they weren't engaged, either.

First of all,the reform/alliance merging with the conservative had to happen,if not,we would be glue with a liberal goverment for the next 100 years.So Mackay's change of vue was a commun sense move.Are you as blind as Joe Clark?

Secondly ,yes,Stronach did "prostituted" herself by crossing the floor.If you think she did that for the good of the country,you are very naive.If she was so uncomfortable with Harper, she would have left the party right after the leadership race,not 4 months after.She negociated her shamefull transfusion to the liberal with Martin a couple of days earlier.(in presence of her lover,Mackay himself,how low can you get??).If she wasn't guarantied of being a minister,do you think she would have made that move??????It ...

P.S.,Peter Mackay didn't ask for a reporter to come on his parents farm and being interview.

Last edited:
melon said:

The CBC has been light on Harper the minute they realized he might actually win. They have their funding to worry about, and if Harper develops a grudge against the CBC, he'll be more likely to try and slash its funding for the future.

Melon

You get CBC in the U.S?
Or do you read the site?

Just curious!

ladywithspinninghead said:
You get CBC in the U.S?
Or do you read the site?

I read the site when I'm at work when I'm bored, but when you live an hour's drive away from Canada, your airwaves thankfully spill across the border. As such, I get CBC, Radio-Canada, TVOntario, and "The A Channel" (or whatever the nom du jour happens to be) year-round, with seasonal reception for Global and CTV.

As someone with a penchant for information, I enjoy having as many options as I do living here.

Melon

So melon, you aware at what degenerates we are up here showing the Sopranos, Nip/Tuck and the like on regular tv as opposed to pay channels like HBO.:wink: And you can say asshole on the radio and tv, we are going to hell, yippee. :macdevil:

trevster2k said:
So melon, you aware at what degenerates we are up here showing the Sopranos, Nip/Tuck and the like on regular tv as opposed to pay channels like HBO.:wink: And you can say asshole on the radio and tv, we are going to hell, yippee. :macdevil:

Canadian radio stations also have more liberal transmission power standards, meaning that they penetrate quite deeply around here. In fact, I know of at least two "Detroit" radio stations whose towers are actually in Canada for this reason. :wink:

Melon

Although like most of the Canadian population I lean to the left, I can't say that I'm completely adverse to the prospect of a Conservative minority government anymore (minority, not majority!).

I think it would accomplish a few things, in a nutshell:
- Conservatives would reveal their true colours but hopefully their time in power will be short enough that the damage is "undoable"
- would remind the Canadian population that we are not a right-wing country
- I think it would do quite a bit for the federal cause in Quebec
- once the Tories have revealed their true intent, it would probably make way for a Liberal majority gov't in the following election (I personally like this idea although not all of you would I'm sure)
- will give the Liberals enough time to regroup, breathe, and lay out a new vision for the country. This time-out will hopefully be sufficient for Canadians' anger towards them to subside and for everyone to just move on.

Maybe I'm just pulling at straws but I'm trying to find the silver lining in all of this! :wink:

ladywithspinninghead said:
Although like most of the Canadian population I lean to the left, I can't say that I'm completely adverse to the prospect of a Conservative minority government anymore (minority, not majority!).

I think it would accomplish a few things, in a nutshell:
- Conservatives would reveal their true colours but hopefully their time in power will be short enough that the damage is "undoable"
- would remind the Canadian population that we are not a right-wing country
- I think it would do quite a bit for the federal cause in Quebec
- once the Tories have revealed their true intent, it would probably make way for a Liberal majority gov't in the following election (I personally like this idea although not all of you would I'm sure)
- will give the Liberals enough time to regroup, breathe, and lay out a new vision for the country. This time-out will hopefully be sufficient for Canadians' anger towards them to subside and for everyone to just move on.

Maybe I'm just pulling at straws but I'm trying to find the silver lining in all of this! :wink:

Great points! :up:

yeah, the only problem i have with that lwtsh, is that paul martin won't be around to lead that push. no question, i think he's the best man to lead the party and indeed our country.

although one thing that's pissed me off about the liberals this campaign is how they're painting themselves as the only progressive choice out there. they've alienated a lot of people with their remarks and apparently have painted themselves in a corner.

i mean, the ndp appear more centre than the liberals do at this point. they've done nothing to offend any group, have they?

Zoomerang96 said:
yeah, the only problem i have with that lwtsh, is that paul martin won't be around to lead that push. no question, i think he's the best man to lead the party and indeed our country.

Do you think he’s lived up to his billing? I think there are two camps: those who view Martin as a disappointment, and those who see him as a victim of Chrétien’s lingering shadow.

Zoomerang96 said:

I know and I try not to let my personal feelings get involved, but I feel pretty sorry for the guy. It was his lifelong dream to become Prime Minister and he will have only enjoyed 2 short years because he ended up being the fall guy for the sponsorship scandal.

His flip-flopping on issues would get on my nerves but then again he was in a tight bind with a minority government.
Say what you will about Chretien (and personally I really like the guy :reject: ), but he stuck to his guns no matter what (some call that arrogance but I don't, I see it as a man being led by conviction and his beliefs rather than being dictated to by popular opinion)

As I wrote in another thread, it would be interesting to see who everyone thinks could be a viable contender for leader of the Liberal party.

Frank McKenna? John Manley?

Justin Trudeau? :sexywink:

I was thinking the same thing ladywithspinninghead. Recent history shows, mostly Liberal governments with little Conservative blips followed by the Liberals again. It seems that we let the Conservatives have a shot, then say get the hell out of there, and put the Liberals back in for a long stretch.

Did anyone catch Air Farce last night, where they had Gilles Duceppe win the election. Pretty funny.

Well, I'm hoping the Liberals pull through this. Harper really creeps me out. We shall see what happens I guess.

trevster2k said:
I was thinking the same thing ladywithspinninghead. Recent history shows, mostly Liberal governments with little Conservative blips followed by the Liberals again. It seems that we let the Conservatives have a shot, then say get the hell out of there, and put the Liberals back in for a long stretch.

That sounds good only if we actually manage to boot Harper relatively soon. Look at how Mike Harris decimated Ontario - it'll take us another decade to undo the damage he did.

The Conservatives in power isn't the end of the world. But if they stay there long enough for their policies to start taking effect, we're screwed.

trevster2k said:
It seems that we let the Conservatives have a shot, then say get the hell out of there, and put the Liberals back in for a long stretch.

Let's hope so.

If Harper gets a minority and keeps his social agenda on the back burner for 18 months, there's a strong chance people won't be ready for the Liberals again just yet unless Martin is still at the helm...even then, you just never know.

There's a real possibility they could win a majority next time around.

AliEnvy said:

Let's hope so.

If Harper gets a minority and keeps his social agenda on the back burner for 18 months, there's a strong chance people won't be ready for the Liberals again just yet unless Martin is still at the helm...even then, you just never know.

There's a real possibility they could win a majority next time around.

The ironic thing here is that many Liberals are actually hoping to lose the election on Monday. These are the people who believe the party has lost its way, and say that it’s time to redefine their brand. It’s much harder to do this while you’re still in power.

For people cringing at a potential Conservative victory, the upside, if you’re coming from a left-wing perspective, is that the current mush of similarity at the centre should polarize and each party’s mandate should become much clearer.

angelordevil said:

The ironic thing here is that many Liberals are actually hoping to lose the election on Monday.

Then I hope they get an earful of "be careful what you wish for".

When I said they could win a majority next time, I meant the Conservatives. :|

AliEnvy said:

Then I hope they get an earful of "be careful what you wish for".

When I said they could win a majority next time, I meant the Conservatives. :|

Yes, that's why I said there are actually Liberals who want to lose Monday, in order to get stronger in the long-term.

Right now, I think the appropriate question is: what is a Liberal? It's not as simple to answer as some say it should be.

There is the possibility the Conservatives could win a majority the next time around but we have to bear in mind the Liberals are the "natural governing party of Canada".

History has shown that the Tories usually win because Canadians want to punish the Liberals for some wrongdoing or because the Liberals were in power for too so the desire for change is very strong (The Libs were once in power for 22 consecutive years!). (Then there was Mulroney's re-election of a majority but that was because the election centered largely around one issue, that of the Free Trade Agreement). What I'm trying to say is the the Tories rarely win because Canadians naturally gravitate towards them or because their "values" resonate more with the Canadian population.

I do believe Canadians will have forgiven the Liberals by the time the next election rolls around - in fact, if you look at the polls pre-Xmas the Liberals were actually leading from the start of the election until the rcmp investigation became headline news. Obviously Canadians were already starting to forgive (or forget?)the Liberals for the Sponsorship scandal.

Also - Harper might be able to hold off with his social-conservative agenda for the next 18 months but I don't think he'll be able to continue muzzling his candidates.
The Liberals are on to something in this regard - just today Harper announced all media conferences, interviews with candidates, etc are now forbidden until after the election. It really does make one wonder...

It sure would be nice if 1979 repeated itself - Canadians woke up to discover they had elected a Conservative minority government. It didn't take long for Joe Clark and Co. to misconstrue that as meaning something more than Canadians just punishing Pierre Trudeau. 6 months later his government fell and the Liberals were elected to a majority government.

Last edited:
that's really frightening isn't it.

what's he so scared of...they're HIS OWN PEOPLE, aren't they?

hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom