Canada Votes 2006 - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #181
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:24 PM
From CTV:

Quote:
With a big shift in voter intention in Ontario in the homestretch of the campaign, a new poll shows the Conservative Party's earlier lead whittling away.

From a tracking poll of 1,000 Canadians, the latest numbers by The Strategic Counsel for CTV and The Globe and Mail shows Conservative support dropping and Liberal support gaining strength.

Conservatives have dropped from an 18-point national lead earlier this week to a nine-point lead now, according to interviews conducted Jan. 17 and 18.

Most of that surge is coming in the Greater Toronto Area, comprised of the 416 and 905 area codes. The Liberals have jumped up to 50 per cent support (they had 55 per cent in the 2004 election), while the Conservatives are at 30 per cent -- a drop of seven points in a matter of days.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:15 AM   #182
Refugee

Local Time: 07:24 PM
It's not a big deal for me to 'know' someone is gay, I just had disagreement about it and wanted to know who was right and wrong, I was wrong. If anyone knew me and the posts I have made about the subject (melon) you'd know I'm a huge supporter of gay rights.

Anywho, Harper was on CBC with Mansbridge tonight, I thought he handled himself well. Though the people asking the questions were to light on him. Whatever happened to a person asking a question and the candidate avoiding the question and the person having the balls to take them to task. I tell ya, if it were me asking some of those question he wouldnt be getting off so easy, and that goes for all the leaders!

Old 01-20-2006, 02:29 AM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Are the Conservatives the first party in the history of politics to not say "when we form the next majority government" or " we will win"? Are they afraid to put the image in the minds of Canadians for fear they will go OMG and vote for the Liberals? This whole campaign by all parties as been bizarre. The Liberals haven't put forth any real platforms, the Conservatives have kept their mouths shut this time and Jack is pretty much admitting all he can do is whisper in someone's ear from time to time. And stategic voting seems to be the biggest issue in our electoral system now, how to group votes in certain ridings to get the outcome you want. It's just crazy. I still view Harpur as Bush lite though, even after the CBC Q & A tonight.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:30 AM   #184
Babyface

Voting Liberal...nuff said
Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Are the Conservatives the first party in the history of politics to not say "when we form the next majority government" or " we will win"? Are they afraid to put the image in the minds of Canadians for fear they will go OMG and vote for the Liberals? This whole campaign by all parties as been bizarre. The Liberals haven't put forth any real platforms, the Conservatives have kept their mouths shut this time and Jack is pretty much admitting all he can do is whisper in someone's ear from time to time. And stategic voting seems to be the biggest issue in our electoral system now, how to group votes in certain ridings to get the outcome you want. It's just crazy. I still view Harpur as Bush lite though, even after the CBC Q & A tonight.
If the Conservatives ever expect to win someday, they need to dump Harper and all the Alliance fanatics, and stop running political campaigns based on bigotry. That might work in American political campaigns (shameful, isn't it?), but it doesn't seem to resonate well in Canada. I think this is where people start panicking and start voting safe again the minute they realize that the Conservatives might actually win this one. It happened last time too, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing how their platform on lowering taxes, raising military spending, and all the kind of platform you'd expect from conservatives would go over without the undercurrent of prejudice.

Melon
Old 01-20-2006, 07:46 AM   #186
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
It's not a big deal for me to 'know' someone is gay, I just had disagreement about it and wanted to know who was right and wrong, I was wrong. If anyone knew me and the posts I have made about the subject (melon) you'd know I'm a huge supporter of gay rights.
I know. I lament that it's still kind of an object of curiosity, but who am I to change Western culture?

Quote:
Anywho, Harper was on CBC with Mansbridge tonight, I thought he handled himself well. Though the people asking the questions were to light on him. Whatever happened to a person asking a question and the candidate avoiding the question and the person having the balls to take them to task. I tell ya, if it were me asking some of those question he wouldnt be getting off so easy, and that goes for all the leaders!
The CBC has been light on Harper the minute they realized he might actually win. They have their funding to worry about, and if Harper develops a grudge against the CBC, he'll be more likely to try and slash its funding for the future.

Melon
Old 01-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #187
The Fly

Local Time: 02:24 AM
As far i'm concern,Harper still has the words "Reform party" written on his forehead,no matter how hard he tries to hide it.So until the conservatives get them self a "true" Tory,Layton will get my vote on Monday.

The only good side of the Conservative/Reform win next Monday is that Peter Mckay will have his revenge over Belinda Stronach.What that woman did in 2004 was one of the most shamefull move that i ever saw.Prostitued herself for the liberal and flushing her fiance at the same time by doing that shamefull move.

That boomerang will comeback and hit her so hard Monday.There won't be a larger smile on T.V. on Monday night than on Peter Mckay's face.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cigar

The only good side of the Conservative/Reform win next Monday is that Peter Mckay will have his revenge over Belinda Stronach.What that woman did in 2004 was one of the most shamefull move that i ever saw.Prostitued herself for the liberal and flushing her fiance at the same time by doing that shamefull move.

That boomerang will comeback and hit her so hard Monday.There won't be a larger smile on T.V. on Monday night than on Peter Mckay's face.
first of all, peter mackay killed any credibility he had for merging with the alliance party after he distinctly promised that he wouldn't allow that to happen. that promise is pretty much what won him the leadership of the old conservative party. but then he did merge with the alliance, and he's largely responsible for vaulting harper into the position he's in now.

his boo-hoo poor-me schtick on the family farm the day after the government didn't fall was also rather pathetic.

second, belinda stronach "prostituted" herself by crossing the floor to prevent the conservatives under stephen harper from bringing down the government? if a man had have done the same thing, i can guarantee that there would have been no references to him being a whore or a prostitute. if anything, it probably would have been hailed as one of the gutsiest political moves in recent memory.

i am sick to death of the media portraying her as a flouncy whore. most of the attention she's gotten has either been about her appearance (her hair, her wardrobe, her killer shoe collection), or about how she "whored herself out" that fateful day last summer. she's a successful business woman and a tough politician. men get praised for such accomplishments, but gets dismissed as a prostitute.

not that i'm a huge stronach fan by any stretch, but i can't believe the sexism and mysogyny that rears its ugly head when her name comes up.

ps - not that it matters, but they weren't engaged, either.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #189
The Fly

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

first of all, peter mackay killed any credibility he had for merging with the alliance party after he distinctly promised that he wouldn't allow that to happen. that promise is pretty much what won him the leadership of the old conservative party. but then he did merge with the alliance, and he's largely responsible for vaulting harper into the position he's in now.

his boo-hoo poor-me schtick on the family farm the day after the government didn't fall was also rather pathetic.

second, belinda Stronach "prostituted" herself by crossing the floor to prevent the conservatives under stephen harper from bringing down the government? if a man had have done the same thing, i can guarantee that there would have been no references to him being a whore or a prostitute. if anything, it probably would have been hailed as one of the gutsiest political moves in recent memory.

i am sick to death of the media portraying her as a flouncy whore. most of the attention she's gotten has either been about her appearance (her hair, her wardrobe, her killer shoe collection), or about how she "whored herself out" that fateful day last summer. she's a successful business woman and a tough politician. men get praised for such accomplishments, but gets dismissed as a prostitute.

not that i'm a huge stronach fan by any stretch, but i can't believe the sexism and mysogyny that rears its ugly head when her name comes up.

ps - not that it matters, but they weren't engaged, either.

First of all,the reform/alliance merging with the conservative had to happen,if not,we would be glue with a liberal goverment for the next 100 years.So Mackay's change of vue was a commun sense move.Are you as blind as Joe Clark?

Secondly ,yes,Stronach did "prostituted" herself by crossing the floor.If you think she did that for the good of the country,you are very naive.If she was so uncomfortable with Harper, she would have left the party right after the leadership race,not 4 months after.She negociated her shamefull transfusion to the liberal with Martin a couple of days earlier.(in presence of her lover,Mackay himself,how low can you get??).If she wasn't guarantied of being a minister,do you think she would have made that move??????It ...

P.S.,Peter Mackay didn't ask for a reporter to come on his parents farm and being interview.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Daily show video about our negative ads, it's after the Osama story

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/t...es/index.jhtml

click the indecision 06 box
Old 01-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

The CBC has been light on Harper the minute they realized he might actually win. They have their funding to worry about, and if Harper develops a grudge against the CBC, he'll be more likely to try and slash its funding for the future.

Melon
You get CBC in the U.S?
Or do you read the site?

Just curious!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:53 AM   #192
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
You get CBC in the U.S?
Or do you read the site?
I read the site when I'm at work when I'm bored, but when you live an hour's drive away from Canada, your airwaves thankfully spill across the border. As such, I get CBC, Radio-Canada, TVOntario, and "The A Channel" (or whatever the nom du jour happens to be) year-round, with seasonal reception for Global and CTV.

As someone with a penchant for information, I enjoy having as many options as I do living here.

Melon
Old 01-21-2006, 01:27 AM   #193
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

So melon, you aware at what degenerates we are up here showing the Sopranos, Nip/Tuck and the like on regular tv as opposed to pay channels like HBO. And you can say asshole on the radio and tv, we are going to hell, yippee.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:32 AM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
So melon, you aware at what degenerates we are up here showing the Sopranos, Nip/Tuck and the like on regular tv as opposed to pay channels like HBO. And you can say asshole on the radio and tv, we are going to hell, yippee.
Canadian radio stations also have more liberal transmission power standards, meaning that they penetrate quite deeply around here. In fact, I know of at least two "Detroit" radio stations whose towers are actually in Canada for this reason.

Melon
Old 01-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Although like most of the Canadian population I lean to the left, I can't say that I'm completely adverse to the prospect of a Conservative minority government anymore (minority, not majority!).

I think it would accomplish a few things, in a nutshell:
- Conservatives would reveal their true colours but hopefully their time in power will be short enough that the damage is "undoable"
- would remind the Canadian population that we are not a right-wing country
- I think it would do quite a bit for the federal cause in Quebec
- once the Tories have revealed their true intent, it would probably make way for a Liberal majority gov't in the following election (I personally like this idea although not all of you would I'm sure)
- will give the Liberals enough time to regroup, breathe, and lay out a new vision for the country. This time-out will hopefully be sufficient for Canadians' anger towards them to subside and for everyone to just move on.

Maybe I'm just pulling at straws but I'm trying to find the silver lining in all of this!