Break from whatever, Part whatever - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Break from whatever, Part whatever

1. What creation or accomplishment makes you proud of
mankind, womankind, humankind, animalkind? (Note:
has to have been in your lifetime, doesn't have to be
earthshattering, but made you stop and take notice.)

2. Favorite Grimms fairy tale (or other dark children's story)

3. What quality associated with the opposite sex do you
most envy? Or what freedom?

4. What singers do you think have the most compelling or
haunting voices and what effect do they have on you?
(As always, Bono excluded)

5. What dream(s) do you regret not having pursued?

6. What about you would surprise everyone on this forum?

7. On a whole, do you practice what you preach in your day
to day life? What do you preach (in a nontheological sense)?

8. What truism did you once believe, but no longer do?

9. What's your pet(s)' name(s) and what was your absolute
favorite pet?

10. Do you cry easily?

11. Do you find you are more intrigued by an artist's work if you
are intrigued by the artist?

12. Are you a collector? If so, what do you collect?

Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Great idea. Don’t know if I can do it justice though.

1. I’ll list an accomplishment. There are two images that will always move me. One is earth seen from the moon. The other is that short clip of the unknown Chinese man who stood in front of the tanks in Beijing in 1989. For a moment he seemed like such a ordinary character standing there with a plastic shopping bag in hand but what followed made it the most heroic deed that I have ever seen. He did not carry a gun or move the masses with his refined arguments. He merely stood his ground and made the might of the Chinese dictatorship turn away. Considering what happened later he is probably dead but his legacy is surely of the greatest kind: That for a short moment he granted us the hope that the world can be made a better place.

2. Rapunzel

3. I think there is a tendency in society to view having a strong will and being rebelliousness as masculine qualities. I think I’m fairly strong-willed and have a certain irreverence but I envy men the right to act in an overtly wilful way without drawing stares or comments.

4. Maria Callas – far too many of her arias leave me in tears.

5. There are a few thing that I would wish hadn’t happened but overall I can’t look back at my choices and regret them because there are so many other things that wouldn’t have happened.

6. Well, I recently took up the cello. Don’t you have to know someone fairly well before you can be surprised by them?

7. I try. I think that the difference between knowledge and wisdom is that true wisdom requires you to accept the knowledge you have about the nature of the world to such an extent that it becomes ingrained in your behaviour. I think that tolerance is one of the greatest virtues but I don’t always display a great deal of tolerance – especially if my blasted up-stairs neighbour keeps me up at night. So I’m not a very wise person.

8. That goodness will always win in the end. Oh, and that brevity is the soul of wit

9. I have a basil plant that I’ve raised from seed. Favourite pet: Rattles, an ungodly Labrador, Irish Setter, Border Collie, and Cocker Spaniel mix.

10. Oh yes. See point 1 and 4.

11. I suppose it depends on the art. Sometimes.

12. Books. I love books. It’s not just what’s in them but also the look and the feel of handling the book. I’ve been permanently banned from bookstore visits when I’m of somewhere with my family. I could disappear for days and only emerge when the cooking book section reminded me of the concept of hunger.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 AM
These are tough for so early in the morning, but I'll come back to them

Have to think more about that one

I don't know, maybe Rapunzel. I had long hair in my childhood.

This is a generalization and does not apply to all men, but I'd say the ability to downplay and ignore hurt and emotions. Of course that's not healthy, so I might have to come up with another answer for that one.

Johnny Cash
Bruce
Michael Stipe
Ray Lamontagne
Andrea Bocelli
Sarah McLachlan

They usually make me calm, happy, relaxed, temporarily in another world

Some sort of career working with animals.

Hmm, dangerous question I will have to get back to that one. I'm sure things I don't care to share here would surprise people, but no worries-it's not anything illegal

I do my best, some days I don't feel up to it though. Will come back to that one

8. What truism did you once believe, but no longer do? People will always return kindness with kindness. Experience taught me that isn't true.

favorite pet? Heather. I can't pick favorites among my dogs, they have all been so special to me.

10. Do you cry easily? Yes

are intrigued by the artist? Honestly I usually don't know all that much about artists, if I like their art I will find out more about them

12. Are you a collector? If so, what do you collect? I collect enamel pins, t-shirts. At one time I collected Beanie Babies and I still have them. Autographed books. I have a few other autographs but I don't collect them in some EBay/professional way, it's just a random thing.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know if this counts but the sense of togetherness worldwide in the aftermath of 9-11.

2. Favorite Grimms fairy tale (or other dark children's story) Hansel und Gretel

most envy? Or what freedom? Easy, men don't have periods, childbearing, or menopause

Sting...he has such a range for emotion in his voice. Go from Message in a Bottle to Invisible Sun to Everything She Does is Magic to Every Breath You take.

I guess being more of an athelete...I should have tried out for track or softball, but I felt they took up too much time when I had other passions as well.

.....I've considered leaving Interference several times because I'm paranoid that posts here will come back to haunt me...however I keep returning for good discussion.

I try to be as kind to others as possible, no matter how unkind they have been to me or others...simply the golden rule.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me. I learned at an early age that this is a load of B.S.

favorite pet?
My kitty Chloe...she's my favorite so far and I don't know that any pet in the future could ever be more loving or lovable than her.

10. Do you cry easily? Heck no.

are intrigued by the artist? Not really. I'm not a good observer of art in general.

12. Are you a collector? If so, what do you collect? Political and U2 memorabilia.

Thanks for the break, BonosSaint
Old 08-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:32 PM

The Internet

Anything involving cannibalism

Skirts must have better airflow than pants on hot days

Denez Prigent perhaps

None yet

I have no hands, it doesn't actually have to be true does it?

Yes I do, to the point of having catholics threaten me with violence

Religion may be a lie but it can make people behave better

favorite pet?

Mitzie and Maggie

10. Do you cry easily?

I think I could if I really focused on it but generally no, I prefer a dispassionate ennui

Yes

Nothing/.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Break from whatever, Part whatever

1. What creation or accomplishment makes you proud of mankind, womankind, humankind, animalkind?

Digital photography, my aunt's invention for breast cancer survivors with neuropathy, hopefully a fake kidney....

Not sure

3. What quality associated with the opposite sex do you most envy? Or what freedom?

The ability to (relatively) quickly gain or lose weight or muscle mass

4. What singers do you think have the most compelling or haunting voices and what effect do they have on you?

Jeff Buckley - this is the one I think of as "haunting"
Lokua Kanza (amazing African artist)
Elton John
Eva Cassidy
The African Childrens Choir (seen them many times, they've been a fave since childhood!)
Any boys choir when they sing Händel or Mozart

Going farther with gymnastics

uh....I've never been to the hospital/broken a bone?

7. On a whole, do you practice what you preach in your day to day life? What do you preach (in a nontheological sense)?

I try to - I conserve by recycling everything, not having a car (walking, biking, carpooling) and I also care for animals by rescuing some and getting mine from shelters. Religion aside, I care about conservation/environmentalism (or at least making a conscious effort to practice it) and caring for animals.

That there is a physical dichotomy between good and evil - that the devil is something that exists being the opposite of good. Now I'm leaning more towards the idea that evil is the absence of good (thought that's too simple a way of putting it).

9. What's your pet(s)' name(s) and what was your absolute favorite pet?

Beckham - silver cat
Posh - tuxedo cat
Maximus - orange tabby and white cat
Loki - gray and brown tabby cat

Becks and Poshie are my faves (the other two really belong to a housemate)

10. Do you cry easily?

No, not at all

11. Do you find you are more intrigued by an artist's work if you are intrigued by the artist?

Yes, definitely because I'm not really that into art, it seems so arbitrary to me,

I collect PopMart posters and US coins (mostly all pennies and 1940s silver quarters).
Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:32 AM
" Do you find you are more intrigued by an artist's work if you are intrigued by the artist?"

I meant art in the broadest term--art, music, literature, film, drama, etc.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
" Do you find you are more intrigued by an artist's work if you are intrigued by the artist?"

I meant art in the broadest term--art, music, literature, film, drama, etc.
Hm, that depends. Visual art -definitely. Music - not so much. I'm drawn to the music itself, then would learn more about the artists. Films - either way, I watch films for entertainment, I know they are an art, but I don't really view them as such. For example, on one hand I'll watch a Russell Crowe film simply because I love him as an actor, but on the other hand I'll watch Eight Below with no regard for who was involved in making it, simply because I love dogs.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

1. What creation or accomplishment makes you proud of mankind, womankind, humankind, animalkind? (Note: has to have been in your lifetime, doesn't have to be earthshattering, but made you stop and take notice.)

in my lifetime, the internet and how it facilitates international responses to human tragedies like the tsunami.

Hansel and Gretel.

3. What quality associated with the opposite sex do you most envy? Or what freedom?

women seem to do an excellent job at being emotionally sensitive and intuitive, understanding when someone needs support or attention. more choices when it comes to clothing. the ability to cry your way out of a speeding ticket.

4. What singers do you think have the most compelling or haunting voices and what effect do they have on you? (As always, Bono excluded)

michael stipe; jeff buckley; rickie lee jones; joan armatrading; natalie maines; jonsi thor birgisson.

i would have been more of a theater geek; creative writing.

i am not a neat freak, but no one folds shirts and pants as precisely as i do.

7. On a whole, do you practice what you preach in your day to day life? What do you preach (in a nontheological sense)?

nobody's perfect, obviously, but, on the whole, yes. i volunteer, i live as environmentally friendly a life as possible, and i am relentlessly self-critical.

God has a plan. there isn't a plan.

9. What's your pet(s)' name(s) and what was your absolute favorite pet?

they're not my pets, exactly, but the house in which i live has two bulldogs named Bart and Lucy. my absolute favorite pet was a soft-coated wheaten terrier we had when i was growing up. i still can't talk about him, so devastating was his somewhat unexpected death.

10. Do you cry easily?

yes. more at happy things -- joy and redemption make me cry more than sadness and death, for example.

11. Do you find you are more intrigued by an artist's work if you are intrigued by the artist?

yes.

no, not really. i suppose i collect books, to an extent, in that i never give away a book after i read it.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Doesn't anyone else want to answer this

Puhlease
Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
The Fly

I'll second that emphatic puhlease.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 07:32 PM
1. Hmmm .. this is kind of a hard one ... and then I just thought, the tearing down of the Berlin Wall!! That was pretty spectacular!!! And on a very general note, human beings capacity for compassion and kindness .. especially when the worst of tragedy's occur. Often times, it can bring out the best in people.

2. That's easy ... Hansel und Gretel

3. I dunno .. I don't really envy anything. In my idealist mind, men and women have the rights to the same freedoms (though .. I know that isn't true in some parts of the world). I guess men don't really suffer the same medical/health problems (ie breast and ovarian cancer).

4. I guess I've always loved female singers the most .. that's probably due to me always wanting to be an extraordinary singer myself -sigh!!!- Maybe in my next life-time I think Patti Smith is amazing ... she has this majestic, leonine quality .. she roars!! I also love Janis Joplin, Maria McKee .. loads more.

Luciano Pavrotti singing 'Nessun Dorma' brings tears to my eyes. And Jeff Buckley was extraordinary. He actually had quite an operatic voice, I think.

5. I dunno .. I tend to think that while I'm still on this earth, breathing, anything is possible, if I just put my mind to it. The only thing that I (very) occassionally kick myself for is not going to college/uni. I still dream about studying fine art photography or art history. I'd love to be a professional student

6. I think I'm too new to be surprising anyone!!

7. I think the highest virtue is unconditional love. I like the Buddhist belief on non-attachment too. They're both fairly difficult to practice ... but I'm trying really hard. It's getting easier the older and wiser I become Both ideas as so incredibly free-ing too (IMO).

I also really want to become vegan (see item 9). I've been a semi-vegetarian for years ... but I have moments of weakness where I eat a bit of chicken I feel like such a hypocrite!

8. Hmmmm .. the idea that you can 'save' someone from some sort of peril (ie drug addiction/gambling). I've had experience in both, and, no matter how much you love and try, it's up to them. Though, I would still support anyone through thick and thin.

9. Two dogs in our family Bullet (a mix breed) and Scrappy (a Staffordshire terrier). And I have a kitty called Kitty Lou .. I love her to bits. I'm still waiting for my very favourite pets, haha ... my dream is to have two dogs (a golden retriever .. awwwww .. and a german shepherd) plus a horse would be nice too .. and I think ducks are sooooo cute. It's always been a dream of mine to have a whole farm of animal friends .. I love them.

10. Oh! Bring on the water-works!! I love especially weeping over an amazing film ... I'm so good at it!

11. I usually seem to discover the art before the artist, I guess?? Though, sometimes, in the case of cinema, I love going to see my favourite director's/film makers films. I'm completely fascinated by art and artists. I'd love to be one myself.

12. I think I'd love to be a collector of experience There's so much that I want to do (especially travelling). On a material level, I've spent much of this (southern) winter collecting boots!!! I'm addicted!!!

Wow! That was interesting!
Old 08-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Robotic limbs is a great accomplishment. I love that.

I don't like any of them, to be honest.

The ability to listen. Women are better listeners than men, for the most part. Actually, I think women are generally better people than men.

Alison Krauss. She soothes a restless spirit.

None. I am glad that my songs never rocketed me to rock star fame. Too much crap goes along with that life style. Many good people have been ruined by stardom.

I have a deep abiding love for the ocean, and want to move to the ocean to be an oceanographer.

I hope so. You all know what I preach; I do it loudly enough.

I don't know about truisms, but I formerly believed something about the nature of Christianity that is taught in many (if not most) churches, that I now believe to be outright heresy. I won't go into it, but that's it for me.

favorite pet?

My cat's name is Babbette (I didn't name her). She is my favorite, along with my cat Stubbs, who died last year at the age of 19.

10. Do you cry easily?

I cry from grief. Or while watching King Kong movies.

Sometimes. This is the case with U2.

I collect King Kong related stuff.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]
[B]1. What creation or accomplishment makes you proud of
earthshattering, but made you stop and take notice.)[/Q]

I am proud of children. I see children taking notice of the world around them and they do wonderful things to help. It is one of the things that I love about being an educator.

[Q]2. Favorite Grimms fairy tale (or other dark children's story)[/Q]

I love the "Series of Unfortunate Events" The movie totally sucked encompasing the first three books. The books are awesome.

[Q]3. What quality associated with the opposite sex do you
most envy? Or what freedom?[/Q]

That is an easy one! Multiple orgasms. Sorry, but middle age is setting in and I envy women for that.

[Q]4. What singers do you think have the most compelling or
(As always, Bono excluded)[/Q]

To this day, I find Ozzy Osbournes voice VERY spooky. I have not listened to his music for much of the last 18 years. It brings me back to a time and place where my life was at a crossroads. I left his music behind and moved on.

[Q]5. What dream(s) do you regret not having pursued?[/Q]

I have two. I quite playing the clarinet and saxaphone around 1987. I had been studying to be a classical musician since the third grade. The principal clarinetist for the Boston Pops wanted me as a student. Two major Conservatories wanted me to attend. I quit. I wonder where my life would have taken me.

I will always wonder could I have played baseball. I loved the game but didn't have time for it. See above!

[Q]6. What about you would surprise everyone on this forum[/Q]

I was an intern in Congressman Gerry Studs office for almost two years.

[Q]7. On a whole, do you practice what you preach in your day
to day life? What do you preach (in a nontheological sense)?[/Q]

I would say yes, but the reality of the world causes conflicts in this area at times.

[Q]8. What truism did you once believe, but no longer do?[/Q]

All you need is love.

[Q]9. What's your pet(s)' name(s) and what was your absolute
favorite pet?[/Q]

I grew up on a dairy goat farm. I had MANY pets. I would say that I was particularly close to Trouper Babs Dandock Karen. She was my first goat and the first babies I ever delivered were hers.

Surrently, Fenway (dog), Tigger (Cat), George (Cat) and Neptune (Crab) are with me.

[Q]10. Do you cry easily?[/Q]

I am a SAP. I get very emotional when I say goodby to someone. I cry at movies, news, and whenever I see a newborn baby. I do not seem to cry for myself though. (Wife's Quote)

[Q]11. Do you find you are more intrigued by an artist's work if you are intrigued by the artist?[/Q]

Yes.

[Q]12. Are you a collector? If so, what do you collect?[/Q]

I collect baseball memorabelia. I also collect photgraphs that I have taken. I have a comic book collection and movies.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Break from whatever, Part whatever

Quote:
[Q]3. What quality associated with the opposite sex do you
most envy? Or what freedom?[/Q]

That is an easy one! Multiple orgasms. Sorry, but middle age is setting in and I envy women for that.

men *can* have multiple orgasms, AND they have a G-Spot.

the good Lord did have a plan.