Ask the Homo - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:51 AM
So Irvine, where did you live in Europe? I spent about a month in Ireland and Northern Ireland and I've been to the Netherlands and Germany. I happen to have family history from each place (except Northern Ireland). What's your favorite place in Europe?

Old 02-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
You could post an "Ask the Doozer" thread for the female perspective.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Ello Irvine do you not think its stupid that alot of straight guys find it hard to admit it when other men are attractive, I mean are they just uncomfortable saying things like that i.e. they think it makes them less of a man lol, I have no problem being complimentary when its due, it just seems daft to me that alot of us find it hard to do so plus a little less serious are scarves a good thing or should I avoid them
Old 02-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?
2 questions-

1. Was there a pinpoint time in your life where you knew or understood that you were gay? Does that make sense? I mean, i guess depending on your age, society when you were growing up would say man+woman. Did you break from this at some point? Or did u know all along? Just curious.

2. Has there EVER been a woman who made u question??

Edit: I wanted to add this before. I respect you Irvine. Always have in my 1st year here. I'll never understand how you don't like women but I respect you. mmm, women...

1. "coming out" is a process, at least it was for me. there was never a moment where i was struck by some realization -- you're always sort of aware that something's up (sometimes literally .... but it's more of an evolution than a realization, at least for me. i was essentially straight until the end of college, then i would have called myself "bi-curious" then even until mid-way through my first real relationship i kept insisting i was "bi" (he knew better, but understood ... said something to the effect of, "yeah, i was bisexual once too"). it probably took until the end of that relationship to realize what had happened, and that i could both live with myself. and it's a constantly evolving thing.

2. hmmmmm .... i had a bit of an infatuation with Drew Barrymore for a little while, and if she begged me to have sex with her, i probably would do my best. same with Charlize Theron.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Thanks for the answer Irvine, that was interesting

I *think* there might have been a kiss once on Will And Grace, and I think the creators of that show are gay men as well, I'm not sure.

I don't know about the kiss freak out thing, it doesn't bother me

There's also Queer As Folk, but I've never seen that because I don't have Showtime. I hear that show has a big female following.

I thought of another question..as a Jude Law fan myself, I'd like to ask you what movie you think he's the hottest in, and is he the most beautiful man you've ever seen?

QAF is very, very hot at points -- kind of like gay soft core with a very saucy soap opera thrown in. it's enjoyable, and perhaps true of how some people live, but it's as true to gay life as "the practice" is to live in a Boston law firm.

i think he's hottest in "mr. ripley" -- what i wouldn't give to live THAT life, and get to hang out with gwyneth paltrow (who i actually have met, breifly, and thought she was a sweetie) all day in italy.

most beautiful man? yes, at least on celluloid. followed by a young Paul Newman, probably. (incidentally, i'm not much for either Tom or Brad) however, living, breathing people who might not photograph as well as the Hollywood types usually turn out to be the most beautiful.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

I keep meaning to round DC/MD/VA folk up but stuff always comes up. *sigh* Someday....LOL

SD

i'm up for it!

looks like U2 will be playing MCI center in the fall, might be fun to have people to wait in line with for the GA seating.

please don't kill me ... but i actually happened to get tickets to see them in Philly (and, yes, this was with my U2.com login). anyone in the area maybe want to hang out at a bar before hand?

of course, this is probably better discussed in another forum, closer to the middle of May.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?
I'll never understand how you don't like women but I respect you. mmm, women...

thank you for the kind words.

let me be blunt: i like women; i think women are beautiful; i simply don't want to have sex with a women.

it really comes down to that.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:41 PM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Doozer61
i wanna answer a question!!!!

why can't lesbians and gay men get along better?

one of my best friends is a lesbian, and whenever i mention her to my gay friends, they usually grumble, "ugh, lesbians ..." and her lesbian friends have expressed similar things about gay men.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
So Irvine, where did you live in Europe? I spent about a month in Ireland and Northern Ireland and I've been to the Netherlands and Germany. I happen to have family history from each place (except Northern Ireland). What's your favorite place in Europe?

i spent a year living in Brussels, Belgium. before that, i spent 3 weeks in high school living with a family just outside of Paris. i've been fortunate enough to travel through most of Europe, starting when i was realtively young (13). but, shockingly, i have never been to Ireland! this must be fixed, and soon.

favorite place? very hard ... if someone put a gun to my head, i'd probably have to choose Italy, specifically the Almalfi coast and Positano (wanted to cry it was so perfect) but there is so, so much to choose from. in no particular order, my favorite cities are Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Talinn, Paris, and Krakow.

props to Europe. i'm a big fan.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude
Ello Irvine do you not think its stupid that alot of straight guys find it hard to admit it when other men are attractive, I mean are they just uncomfortable saying things like that i.e. they think it makes them less of a man lol, I have no problem being complimentary when its due, it just seems daft to me that alot of us find it hard to do so plus a little less serious are scarves a good thing or should I avoid them

i agree, it's silly, but there is such an ingrained opposition to homosexuality that straight men are taught to loudly assert your heteroseuxality at each and every opportunity. i fully understand this, even if i think it's silly, because i was like that too. i remember always using the "not that there's anything wrong with that" qualifier ... i do think things are changing, though.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for your answers! Bono is hot!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
This thread is funny, touching, honest, well discussed and an enjoyment for all who're participating. Thank you Irvine

thank you so much. it's really wonderful to be able to write about these things -- you think about it, but really writing it down helps you understand what you're doing and thinking that much more.

i was fearful that this would be too self-indulgent, solipsistic, self-centered, etc. i hope it isn't, and please give me a swift smack upside the head if it becomes that way. and i promise to let it die when it has run its course (as all threads do).
Old 02-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #103
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i'm up for it!

looks like U2 will be playing MCI center in the fall, might be fun to have people to wait in line with for the GA seating.

please don't kill me ... but i actually happened to get tickets to see them in Philly (and, yes, this was with my U2.com login). anyone in the area maybe want to hang out at a bar before hand?

of course, this is probably better discussed in another forum, closer to the middle of May.
cydewaze and I will be going to the first Philly show...sounds like there will be a large interference gathering, so hopefully we can all get together.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Amsterdam. Wow. I went there with my family because my mother's side is Dutch and our family friends there led us through the red light district to get to this church I think it was called Ode Kerk. Sureal experience man. Good times though. The Anne Frank house gave me chills. You should make your way to Ireland next. I think I felt something similar to what you felt in Italy. I don't think there's words to describe it – if there are, I'm sure Yeats could tell us. The Celtic music may be an even better description of the land. (I understand your Sigur Ros refernce to their environment.) Who did you travel with?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

why can't lesbians and gay men get along better?

one of my best friends is a lesbian, and whenever i mention her to my gay friends, they usually grumble, "ugh, lesbians ..." and her lesbian friends have expressed similar things about gay men.
You know, I don't really know. It amazes me that there is such separation between gays and lesbians. We are all fighting for the same causes. I actually have a few gay men as very good friends but it is mostly through church and since they happen to be in the minority, they get along with the lesbians. But out in the real world, you still find your boy bars and girl bars and its very rare that the worlds collide.

Its a sad reality and I wish I knew why.