Ask the Homo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Irvine, where did you live in Europe? I spent about a month in Ireland and Northern Ireland and I've been to the Netherlands and Germany. I happen to have family history from each place (except Northern Ireland). What's your favorite place in Europe?

Ello Irvine do you not think its stupid that alot of straight guys find it hard to admit it when other men are attractive, I mean are they just uncomfortable saying things like that i.e. they think it makes them less of a man lol, I have no problem being complimentary when its due, it just seems daft to me that alot of us find it hard to do so plus a little less serious are scarves a good thing or should I avoid them:wink:

Got Philk? said:
2 questions-

1. Was there a pinpoint time in your life where you knew or understood that you were gay? Does that make sense? I mean, i guess depending on your age, society when you were growing up would say man+woman. Did you break from this at some point? Or did u know all along? Just curious.

2. Has there EVER been a woman who made u question??

Edit: I wanted to add this before. I respect you Irvine. Always have in my 1st year here. I'll never understand how you don't like women:wink: but I respect you. mmm, women...:drool:

1. "coming out" is a process, at least it was for me. there was never a moment where i was struck by some realization -- you're always sort of aware that something's up (sometimes literally .... ;) but it's more of an evolution than a realization, at least for me. i was essentially straight until the end of college, then i would have called myself "bi-curious" then even until mid-way through my first real relationship i kept insisting i was "bi" (he knew better, but understood ... said something to the effect of, "yeah, i was bisexual once too"). it probably took until the end of that relationship to realize what had happened, and that i could both live with myself. and it's a constantly evolving thing.

2. hmmmmm .... i had a bit of an infatuation with Drew Barrymore for a little while, and if she begged me to have sex with her, i probably would do my best. same with Charlize Theron.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Thanks for the answer Irvine, that was interesting :)

I *think* there might have been a kiss once on Will And Grace, and I think the creators of that show are gay men as well, I'm not sure.

I don't know about the kiss freak out thing, it doesn't bother me :shrug:

There's also Queer As Folk, but I've never seen that because I don't have Showtime. I hear that show has a big female following.

I thought of another question..as a Jude Law fan myself, I'd like to ask you what movie you think he's the hottest in, and is he the most beautiful man you've ever seen? :wink:

QAF is very, very hot at points -- kind of like gay soft core with a very saucy soap opera thrown in. it's enjoyable, and perhaps true of how some people live, but it's as true to gay life as "the practice" is to live in a Boston law firm.

i think he's hottest in "mr. ripley" -- what i wouldn't give to live THAT life, and get to hang out with gwyneth paltrow (who i actually have met, breifly, and thought she was a sweetie) all day in italy.

most beautiful man? yes, at least on celluloid. followed by a young Paul Newman, probably. (incidentally, i'm not much for either Tom or Brad) however, living, breathing people who might not photograph as well as the Hollywood types usually turn out to be the most beautiful.

Sherry Darling said:

I keep meaning to round DC/MD/VA folk up but stuff always comes up. *sigh* Someday....LOL

SD

i'm up for it!

looks like U2 will be playing MCI center in the fall, might be fun to have people to wait in line with for the GA seating.

please don't kill me ... but i actually happened to get tickets to see them in Philly (and, yes, this was with my U2.com login). anyone in the area maybe want to hang out at a bar before hand?

of course, this is probably better discussed in another forum, closer to the middle of May.

Got Philk? said:
I'll never understand how you don't like women:wink: but I respect you. mmm, women...:drool:

thank you for the kind words.

let me be blunt: i like women; i think women are beautiful; i simply don't want to have sex with a women.

it really comes down to that.

Doozer61 said:
:hyper: i wanna answer a question!!!! :hyper:

why can't lesbians and gay men get along better?

one of my best friends is a lesbian, and whenever i mention her to my gay friends, they usually grumble, "ugh, lesbians ..." and her lesbian friends have expressed similar things about gay men.

coemgen said:
So Irvine, where did you live in Europe? I spent about a month in Ireland and Northern Ireland and I've been to the Netherlands and Germany. I happen to have family history from each place (except Northern Ireland). What's your favorite place in Europe?

i spent a year living in Brussels, Belgium. before that, i spent 3 weeks in high school living with a family just outside of Paris. i've been fortunate enough to travel through most of Europe, starting when i was realtively young (13). but, shockingly, i have never been to Ireland! this must be fixed, and soon.

favorite place? very hard ... if someone put a gun to my head, i'd probably have to choose Italy, specifically the Almalfi coast and Positano (wanted to cry it was so perfect) but there is so, so much to choose from. in no particular order, my favorite cities are Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Talinn, Paris, and Krakow.

props to Europe. i'm a big fan.

ZeroDude said:
Ello Irvine do you not think its stupid that alot of straight guys find it hard to admit it when other men are attractive, I mean are they just uncomfortable saying things like that i.e. they think it makes them less of a man lol, I have no problem being complimentary when its due, it just seems daft to me that alot of us find it hard to do so plus a little less serious are scarves a good thing or should I avoid them:wink:

i agree, it's silly, but there is such an ingrained opposition to homosexuality that straight men are taught to loudly assert your heteroseuxality at each and every opportunity. i fully understand this, even if i think it's silly, because i was like that too. i remember always using the "not that there's anything wrong with that" qualifier ... i do think things are changing, though.

Angela Harlem said:
This thread is funny, touching, honest, well discussed and an enjoyment for all who're participating. Thank you Irvine :)

thank you so much. it's really wonderful to be able to write about these things -- you think about it, but really writing it down helps you understand what you're doing and thinking that much more.

i was fearful that this would be too self-indulgent, solipsistic, self-centered, etc. i hope it isn't, and please give me a swift smack upside the head if it becomes that way. and i promise to let it die when it has run its course (as all threads do).

Irvine511 said:

i'm up for it!

looks like U2 will be playing MCI center in the fall, might be fun to have people to wait in line with for the GA seating.

please don't kill me ... but i actually happened to get tickets to see them in Philly (and, yes, this was with my U2.com login). anyone in the area maybe want to hang out at a bar before hand?

of course, this is probably better discussed in another forum, closer to the middle of May.

cydewaze and I will be going to the first Philly show...sounds like there will be a large interference gathering, so hopefully we can all get together. :)

Amsterdam. Wow. I went there with my family because my mother's side is Dutch and our family friends there led us through the red light district to get to this church I think it was called Ode Kerk. Sureal experience man. Good times though. The Anne Frank house gave me chills. You should make your way to Ireland next. I think I felt something similar to what you felt in Italy. I don't think there's words to describe it – if there are, I'm sure Yeats could tell us. The Celtic music may be an even better description of the land. (I understand your Sigur Ros refernce to their environment.) Who did you travel with?

Irvine511 said:

why can't lesbians and gay men get along better?

one of my best friends is a lesbian, and whenever i mention her to my gay friends, they usually grumble, "ugh, lesbians ..." and her lesbian friends have expressed similar things about gay men.

You know, I don't really know. It amazes me that there is such separation between gays and lesbians. We are all fighting for the same causes. I actually have a few gay men as very good friends but it is mostly through church and since they happen to be in the minority, they get along with the lesbians. But out in the real world, you still find your boy bars and girl bars and its very rare that the worlds collide.

Its a sad reality and I wish I knew why.

Mrs. Edge said:

cydewaze and I will be going to the first Philly show...sounds like there will be a large interference gathering, so hopefully we can all get together. :)

i certainly hope so. let's make it happen.

Hey Philk, here's the pic. I hope it posts up ok, I stole it from her journal...Who'da thought a pic like this would make it's way onto the troubled pages of FYM, huh? :wink:

untitled26.jpg

:faint:

And Doozy, I got you a question, you hussy!!!
:angry:

But I dont think it's inuendo is appropriate :lol:
It's more about the band Bush than anything else...:shifty:

OK, I'm leaving this thread now :D

Angela Harlem said:
Hey Philk, here's the pic. I hope it posts up ok, I stole it from her journal...Who'da thought a pic like this would make it's way onto the troubled pages of FYM, huh? :wink:

untitled26.jpg

:faint:

:lmao:

:drool:

i need to put that back on my desktop.

i have a real post for this thread, i just need to figure out how to word it.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

i was fearful that this would be too self-indulgent, solipsistic, self-centered, etc. i hope it isn't, and please give me a swift smack upside the head if it becomes that way. and i promise to let it die when it has run its course (as all threads do).

There are plenty of threads on Int like that :shifty: but I don't think this one is like that at all. I'm really enjoying it

Btw, my pick for most beautiful man I've ever seen (famous) is probably Aiden Turner-you can Google him if you'd like and let me know what you think :wink:

If this question is too personal, please just say so, I hesitated to ask it for that reason

What is the most hurtful/hateful thing you've ever experienced because you're gay?

MrsSpringsteen said:

There are plenty of threads on Int like that :shifty: but I don't think this one is like that at all. I'm really enjoying it

Btw, my pick for most beautiful man I've ever seen (famous) is probably Aiden Turner-you can Google him if you'd like and let me know what you think :wink:

If this question is too personal, please just say so, I hesitated to ask it for that reason

What is the most hurtful/hateful thing you've ever experienced because you're gay?

aiden's gorgeous. i wasn't aware of him -- thanks for pointing him out.

this is a pretty anonyous forum -- i am fully prepared to answer any questions, so please do not hesitate. seriously. if you want to ask deeply personal questions, or nuts-and-bolts sex questions, or just want to know my favorite color (hint: not pink), please ask.

as for the question ... i think i need to divide that into 3 categories: the personal, the political, and the social.

the personal: nothing really hateful has ever happened to me. i am a very lucky person, and all of my friends -- really, all -- could care less. on this level, i can happily and honestly say that nothing hateful has ever happened to me because of my seuxal orientation, at least that i'm aware of. of course people have been assholes to me (and i'm sure i've been an asshole at various points), but there is nothing i can link directly back to sexuality.

the political: all this anti-marriage stuff, all the things you hear in the media from the Christian Right ... this really hurts. when you hear your own personal desires lampooned and turned into an object of derision by people who you really have no other option than to call ignorant bigots, it takes a bit of a toll. gay men have enough issues with self esteem to begin with. the whole amendment thing seems downright nasty, almost intentionally cruel, like the playground bully picking on the weak kid, and the teachers not only watching but applauding. seriously: why is it necessary to target a small minority who have already been ravaged by the deadliest disease since the Bubonic Plauge and have endured a history of social ostracism (on the basis of an involuntary characteristic) and who are arguably the most persecuted people on the planet and try and write them out of the Constitution?

the social: once, i got a phone call from someone who i barely knew. we had met out one night, and we exchanged phone numbers, but nothing else. he called me one day saying he really wanted to see me and that we should hang out, etc. i agreed, and within 20 minutes of hanging out at his house he announced that he and his boyfriend had broken up and he was seriously depressed and he was thinking about killing himself. we talked, and talked, and talked ... he was a bit older (35) and had basically left his wife and 2 children to be with this much younger man (23) and couldn't deal with being gay and being without this boyfriend. he kept saying over and over "he said he would never leave me," and i remember trying to explain that 23 year olds might say that but they probably don't mean it. it was a very circular conversation, and looking back, he was probably mentally ill. he was funny, smart, sharp as a tack, not unattractive, and utterly incapable of seeing beyond the absent boyfriend. it was extremely dramatic. he said that they'd been exchanging vicious voice mails, the two of them, and that the younger boyfriend wasn't out to his parents, but he called the mother and started screaming at him that she was killing her son because she was religously opposed to homosexuality, etc. he said that the mother started crying, saying "my perfect son is gone." the boyfriend called back, yelled at this person for yelling at his mother, etc.

it was pretty fucked up.

i remember we got to a point where he assured me he wouldn't kill himself, and that he was going to head to the airport and head down to a southern city (where he was orignally from, and where the boyfriend lived). he got to this point by reassuring himself that, "i think we're gonna get back together." which seemed weird to me -- he couldn't get beyond that, he was infatuated with that. anyway, it had been raining the whole time, and as we waited on the sidewalk for the taxi to pick him up, the clouds started to part and the sun came out. the cab came, we hugged, and he went off. as it took a left turn at the end of the block and drove out of sight, i remember looking up at the sky and seeing a rainbow.

i called him: "look up in the sky, there's a rainbow."
him: "oh my god. it's so beautiful."
me: "take it as a sign. things are going to get better. you're going to be okay."
him: "you're right. it is all going to be okay."

i didn't hear from him the next day. the day after that, i called his cell phone and asked him to call me to tell me how how he was doing. i got nervous, did some frantic internet searching.

and i found his obituary.

had i not been gay, had he not been gay, this would never have happened.

homophobia kills.

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:

sounds great. i'm totally in.

coemgen said:
Amsterdam. Wow. I went there with my family because my mother's side is Dutch and our family friends there led us through the red light district to get to this church I think it was called Ode Kerk. Sureal experience man. Good times though. The Anne Frank house gave me chills. You should make your way to Ireland next. I think I felt something similar to what you felt in Italy. I don't think there's words to describe it – if there are, I'm sure Yeats could tell us. The Celtic music may be an even better description of the land. (I understand your Sigur Ros refernce to their environment.) Who did you travel with?

i'm very excited to one day get to Ireland. i think i didn't make a point of going when i lived over there because i always assumed that i'd of course get to ireland, and that i should make an effort to go to countries that are a bit harder to get to from the US (i.e., Estonia).

i traveled alone through Eastern Europe and did the backpacker thing, and was with friends for most of my other trips. i was very lucky at two points -- when i was in Denmark, i had my friend's Danish family to stay with, and when i was in Slovenia, i had another friend's Slovenian family to stay with. and when i was in Morocco, i had a friend's Moroccan boyfriend to show us around. knowing a native makes a HUGE difference.

what was also funny was in Morocco, i was traveling with a female. naturally, everyone assumed we were married, which was funny on several levels. at hotels, we'd always ask for two beds, though, and i'd get the craziest looks from the hotel owners -- looks that said, "man, what did you do to get her so pissed of at you?"

ah, good times.

Thanks for that Irvine, I'm so sorry about your friend :( Thanks for being so open about answering my question

On a much lighter note, Aiden is on a soap opera, All My Children :reject: I went on an online chat w/ him once and he's very nice. He seems very nice in general. He's British. He's engaged. I'm slightly obsessed w/ him :wink: He'd never look twice at me but it's fun to obsess about him nonetheless

Last edited by a moderator:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Thanks for that Irvine, I'm so sorry about your friend :( Thanks for being so open about answering my question

On a much lighter note, Aiden is on a soap opera, All My Children :reject: I went on an online chat w/ him once and he's very nice. He seems very nice in general. He's British. He's engaged. I'm slightly obsessed w/ him :wink: He'd never look twice at me but it's fun to obsess about him nonetheless

could i ask you, or the mods, to drop his name? i just edited my post.

sorry to be paranoid, but you never know.

*edited by BLS at Irvine's request

Last edited by a moderator:
Angela Harlem said:
And Doozy, I got you a question, you hussy!!!
:angry:

But I dont think it's inuendo is appropriate :lol:
It's more about the band Bush than anything else...:shifty:

OK, I'm leaving this thread now :D

:D

I once saw a bumper sticker that said "Lesbians against Bush".

It's just not right! :lmao:

MrsSpringsteen said:
sorry Irvine, I didn't mean anything by that

I would have edited it if I had been on here when you asked

no worries -- i typed the name myself, then thought better of it.

thanks.-

How long were you a swimmer?

When did you start? What took you out of the sport?

Are swim meets as boring for swimmers as they are for the parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom