Ask the Homo - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Why doesn't Bruce Springsteen have a bigger gay following? All my gay male friends are unimpressed, even annoyed, by him, and the audience at the show I just saw was so white and straight it was unbelievable. Of course it was also white, straight Denver. I take it back, I have one gay friend who likes Springsteen but he is an anomaly in every way. I guess it's the whole blue collar working man thing but, geez, he's also hot, especially today.


while i don't think Bruce is hot, i am a HUGE fan. i think he is, as opposed to Bono, overtly heterosexual. he's not homophobic, but his lyrics are very specific, and very specifically male-female, and i do find them a bit of a barrier sometimes ... i'm not really interested in her secret garden, but i do understand about leaving a bad taste in your mouth, if you know what i mean. his rock stuff is also pretty macho, and rather rah-rah, and when i saw him in concert (very awesome) he did lots of guitar-as-pahllus poses and struts. but his solo accoustic stuff is rather astonishing in it's literary qualities -- he really is Steinbeck in leather. but, yes, his fands tend to be very white and straight.

and i'm sorry, but any gay man who can't appreciate the poet of the working classes being brave enough to write "streets of philadelphia" way back in 1993 really needs to get some perspective.

and many gay men (including me) find the blue collar thing really hot, very butch.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:19 AM
That all makes sense. I guess I find him to be so cool that he's hot. I went through a period where I didn't think he was so hot physically and then when I saw him a few weeks ago on the solo tour, and also watched the DVD that came with the new record, I realized it's not so much that he's physically hot but he is just so cool. He's so much hotter/cooler today, I think, than he's been since, say the "Tunnel of Love" video (which was really his "With or Without You" moment).

Okay, we've covered some hot man ground today.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #303
War Child
 
LadyRhia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KY~US
Posts: 533
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Russell is hot.

I like him better thinking he might be gay. If he's straight, he's probably a macho jerk. But if he's gay, then maybe the macho jerk thing is just overcompensating for being in the closet.


A little of both is hot.A little macho,a little sensitive,you know the perfect man

I found Clive Owen extremely hot in Closer,and he was a bit of a jerk.
__________________
LadyRhia is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #304
War Child
 
I'm Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 987
Local Time: 11:19 AM
actually irvine if u look at the lyrics to Backstreets I'm fairly certain its about a gay relationship
__________________
I'm Ready is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 05:18 PM   #305
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:19 AM

One soft infested summer me and Terry became friends
Trying in vain to breathe the fire we was born in
Catching rides to the outskirts tying faith between our teeth
Sleeping in that old abandoned beach house getting wasted in the heat
And hiding on the backstreets, hiding on the backstreets
With a love so hard and filled with defeat
Running for our lives at night on them backstreets

Slow dancing in the dark on the beach at Stockton's Wing
Where desperate lovers park we sat with the last of the Duke Street Kings
Huddled in our cars waiting for the bells that ring
In the deep heart of the night to set us loose from everything
to go running on the backstreets, running on the backstreets
We swore we'd live forever on the backstreets we take it together

Endless juke joints and Valentino drag where dancers scraped the tears
Up off the street dressed down in rags running into the darkness
Some hurt bad some really dying at night sometimes it seemed
You could hear the whole damn city crying blame it on the lies that killed us
Blame it on the truth that ran us down you can blame it all on me Terry
It don't matter to me now when the breakdown hit at midnight
There was nothing left to say but I hated him and I hated you when you went away

Laying here in the dark you're like an angel on my chest
Just another tramp of hearts crying tears of faithlessness
Remember all the movies, Terry, we'd go see
Trying to learn how to walk like heroes we thought we had to be
And after all this time to find we're just like all the rest
Stranded in the park and forced to confess
To hiding on the backstreets, hiding on the backstreets
We swore forever friends on the backstreets until the end
Hiding on the backstreets, hiding on the backstreets
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 06:47 PM   #306
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRhia I found Clive Owen extremely hot in Closer,and he was a bit of a jerk. [/B]

totally agreed.

i even found him hotter than my boyfriend Jude Law.

can you imagine?!?!??!

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 06:48 PM   #307
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready
actually irvine if u look at the lyrics to Backstreets I'm fairly certain its about a gay relationship


you're absolutely right.

funny -- that just occurred to me a few weeks ago, thanks for reminding me.

i also find it ironic that it was "backstreets" that made me realize that Bruce is a Grade A genius and converted me into a fan.

though at the time i was unaware of the gay content of the song.

i'm also a fan of the gay content on Boy, but i seem to get in trouble whenever i bring this up ...
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 06:52 PM   #308
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
One soft infested summer me and Terry became friends
Trying in vain to breathe the fire we was born in
Catching rides to the outskirts tying faith between our teeth
Sleeping in that old abandoned beach house getting wasted in the heat
And hiding on the backstreets, hiding on the backstreets
With a love so hard and filled with defeat
Running for our lives at night on them backstreets

Slow dancing in the dark on the beach at Stockton's Wing
Where desperate lovers park we sat with the last of the Duke Street Kings
Huddled in our cars waiting for the bells that ring
In the deep heart of the night to set us loose from everything
to go running on the backstreets, running on the backstreets
We swore we'd live forever on the backstreets we take it together

Endless juke joints and Valentino drag where dancers scraped the tears
Up off the street dressed down in rags running into the darkness
Some hurt bad some really dying at night sometimes it seemed
You could hear the whole damn city crying blame it on the lies that killed us
Blame it on the truth that ran us down you can blame it all on me Terry
It don't matter to me now when the breakdown hit at midnight
There was nothing left to say but I hated him and I hated you when you went away

Laying here in the dark you're like an angel on my chest
Just another tramp of hearts crying tears of faithlessness
Remember all the movies, Terry, we'd go see
Trying to learn how to walk like heroes we thought we had to be
And after all this time to find we're just like all the rest
Stranded in the park and forced to confess
To hiding on the backstreets, hiding on the backstreets
We swore forever friends on the backstreets until the end
Hiding on the backstreets, hiding on the backstreets


holy. shit.



seeing the lyrics all laid out like that just blew my gay mind. i could write a term paper on the homoerotic subtext in that song. totally about two boys in love and trying to hide it, trying to learn from the movies how to be straight, and crap, we all now know that Valentino was gay.

i mean, the title alone ... "backstreets" ...
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-25-2005, 08:49 AM   #309
War Child
 
LadyRhia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KY~US
Posts: 533
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



totally agreed.

i even found him hotter than my boyfriend Jude Law.

can you imagine?!?!??!


LOL,I like to take both of their characters and make one man
__________________
LadyRhia is offline  
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #310
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


holy. shit.



seeing the lyrics all laid out like that just blew my gay mind. i could write a term paper on the homoerotic subtext in that song. totally about two boys in love and trying to hide it, trying to learn from the movies how to be straight, and crap, we all now know that Valentino was gay.

i mean, the title alone ... "backstreets" ...
Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction. I have known the lyrics by heart ever since the record came out (dating myself again) and once I became gay-savvy I realized the references were probably gay but I had completely forgotten about it until it was brought up here and when I actually saw it in writing for the first time in God knows how many years, it kinda blew my mind! I have newfound respect for Bruce. This was back in 1975!!
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 AM   #311
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction. I have known the lyrics by heart ever since the record came out (dating myself again) and once I became gay-savvy I realized the references were probably gay but I had completely forgotten about it until it was brought up here and when I actually saw it in writing for the first time in God knows how many years, it kinda blew my mind! I have newfound respect for Bruce. This was back in 1975!!


if i had gone into academics instead of television, i imaigne i would have spent a good amount of time -- since i would have done either American Studies or Media Studies -- going back over media "texts" and unearthing homoerotic subtext. there's loads of it through cinema -- just look at some of the more obvious examples: "lawrence of arabia" or "rebel w/out a cause." it's rather amazing how such subtext was woven through these stories, either intentionally or unintentionally, and you begin to learn the semiotics of gay "code" -- all fascinating stuff, and which is why i thought "far from heaven" was so brilliant, because it took what was once subtext and made it into the actual text, yet retained that perfect look, and managed not to play any of it for laughs. that, and Julianne Moore was so utterly perfect in every way imaginable.

as you know ... "sometimes a hero takes me/ sometimes i can't let go/ hello, hello/ stories for boys ..."
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #312
Blue Crack Addict
 
daygloeyes2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: No Emily's Allowed
Posts: 26,459
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511






and Joey Potter has that Batman movie to promote with the equally delicious Christian Bale.
Christian Bale

I know you answered the question about what you think of QAF, but what do you think of Will and Grace?
__________________
daygloeyes2 is offline  
Old 05-25-2005, 02:32 PM   #313
War Child
 
LadyRhia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KY~US
Posts: 533
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




if i had gone into academics instead of television, i imaigne i would have spent a good amount of time -- since i would have done either American Studies or Media Studies -- going back over media "texts" and unearthing homoerotic subtext. there's loads of it through cinema -- just look at some of the more obvious examples: "lawrence of arabia" or "rebel w/out a cause." it's rather amazing how such subtext was woven through these stories, either intentionally or unintentionally, and you begin to learn the semiotics of gay "code" -- all fascinating stuff, and which is why i thought "far from heaven" was so brilliant, because it took what was once subtext and made it into the actual text, yet retained that perfect look, and managed not to play any of it for laughs. that, and Julianne Moore was so utterly perfect in every way imaginable.

as you know ... "sometimes a hero takes me/ sometimes i can't let go/ hello, hello/ stories for boys ..."

Iam not as gay savvy as Joygirl yet but Iam interested in hearing about examples from other movies that you think have the subtext woven through them.

I would think that one of the most obvious would be the relationship between Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas in the movie Spartacus.(No I wasnt alive yet,when it was made,LOL)

"Far From Heaven" is a brilliant movie(Iam a huge fan of Julianne Moore)
__________________
LadyRhia is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 07:58 AM   #314
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by daygloeyes2


Christian Bale

I know you answered the question about what you think of QAF, but what do you think of Will and Grace?

Will and Grace used to be a laugh riot -- though i think it should be called "Jack and Karen" as they steal the show. in fact, Karen is one of my all-time favorite television characters, and i think the show will go down as one of the great television comedies due to it's savvy writing, memorable characters, and generous ensemble acting.

i suppose i don't like the fact that both Jack and Will are reasonably effeminate, and Jack embodies so many stereotypes ... but, again, this is TV, and TV does this to all people especialy in comedies.

i also don't see why we never, ever see male characters kiss or in bed with one another. compare this to the Friends who were far more sexually active than Jack or Will ... it's a total double standard, and directly linked to ratings -- how many straight men want to see two men kissing?

one day, straight culture will loosen up, and the faults with W&G are more symptoms of straight culture's hypocrisy, double standards and ignorance than anything else.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 08:20 AM   #315
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:19 AM
I agree with everything you said, although I think I like the character Grace better than Karen who sometimes is a bit cartoon-like. I swear sometimes Debra Messing's facial expressions remind me of a modern day Lucille Ball.

I used to really be annoyed by Will & Grace and people didn't understand why I didn't like it especially when I was living with a gay man (although he and I were more like Felix & Oscar sometimes than Will & Grace, lol). In general I have trouble with sitcoms but at some point W&G started making me giggle. I see it as a step, though, in getting people used to seeing gay people on TV and eventually they will be allowed to be physically demonstrative. Remember Lucy & Ricky were not even allowed to share a bed which was weirder than imagining how they made Little Ricky--the two of them cramped in one single bed or perhaps they did it in the kitchen or the living room floor.

Jack, horrible stereotype that he is, is hiliarious and who doesn't know a Jack. And it is odd that Will is considered the manly one when in fact he's actually not really.

I love QAF, btw. I guess the lifestyle presented isn't so far-fetched to me but reminds me more of the late 80s and early 90s than today. Even my sluttiest friends don't really do the back room in clubs anymore. I do like the American characters better than the British ones, though.

My favorite gay TV characters though are still Keith & David on Six Feet Under. Can't beat the hot black manly gay cop.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com